Singapore Digital TV discussion thread - all related talk, please post here

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheong79

Banned
Reaction score
I just bought a DVB-T2 TV for these launching of digital broadcasting event. But my new bravia 32W674A couldn't receive any sh!t of the channel.

I stay in tampines old estate flat 5th floor. No wall old antenna to try as it has been removed.

Soul77

Reaction score
I suspect your DVB-T2 Set top box is older version ( v.1.1.1 or v.1.2.1). To receive local DVB-T2 channels, your DVB-T2 set top box must support v.1.3.1 .

Previously i bought one DVB-T2 V1.2.1, now it can't receive any DVB-T2 Channel. Recently i get a new DVB-T2 v1.3.1 SetTopBox (designed by local company),i can receive all the DVB-T2 & T channels in my reside area (Jurong East) via indoor antenna(No power required).

Be careful, when you buy a DVB-T2 receiver online.

How do you know your dvb-t2 is v1.2.1 or 1.3.1? Does it means all those existing ebay/aliexpress dvb-t2 not compatible with Singapore standard?

AnDyLe0

Reaction score
Uraku Asia has given the explanation. Freeview HD is diffrent from our sg standard.

so confirm pctv nanostick t2 is not compatible?
wah... that day i nearly wan to buy one... luckily didn't.
but if sg dvb-t2 is not compatible with other countries' then that's really bad... at least should support basic features of other dvb-t2 system.
btw... can be due to coverage too... read from some site that the rollout is not full coverage.

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Ok that's it! I'm gonna send an email directly to dvb.org to ask them about the DVB-T2 standards. :o

Uraku Asia

Reaction score
How do you know your dvb-t2 is v1.2.1 or 1.3.1? Does it means all those existing ebay/aliexpress dvb-t2 not compatible with Singapore standard?

I just check for the demodulator or refer to your DVB-T2 set top box manufacturer.

For existing ebay/aliexpress DVB-T2, I am not so sure. You may have to find out more detail from seller/manufacturer.

Soul77

Reaction score
I just check for the demodulator or refer to your DVB-T2 set top box manufacturer.

For existing ebay/aliexpress DVB-T2, I am not so sure. You may have to find out more detail from seller/manufacturer.

I see... then history repeat again. Always implement the newest... Like last time when implementing DVB-T, use h.264 when everybody else still using mpeg2

oselgan

Reaction score
Is there any roof top antennae in your block. Did you plug in to the wall outlet socket? You won't get good analogue reception from indoor antenna.

There is no rooftop antenna in my unit. I have managed to scan successfully for SD mediacorp channels, but not HD mediacorp channels (think starhub has not yet relay the HD signal via their SCV wall outlet) via the SCV antenna wall outlet using my Samsung series 7 LED TV.
I need to know for the issue of being not able to tune in the HD & SD channels using my DVB-T2 TV and my cheapo indoor antenna. How to know if it is the antenna related issue? I would not guess it is the built-in DVB-T2 tuner issue as my TV is the new 2013 model from Samsung. Anyone has a better indoor antenna to recommend sure work? My cheapo indoor antenna is a passive one - meaning juz coaxial cable connected to the metal frame type bought from the neighbourhood HW shop.

Last edited:

NY__chickenpie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
U have to get a dvb antenna, or DIY urself. Not very difficult, need some wires and connectors.

SilveR1_09

Reaction score
There is no rooftop antenna in my unit. I have managed to scan successfully for SD mediacorp channels, but not HD mediacorp channels (think starhub has not yet rely the HD signal via their SCV wall outlet) via the SCV antenna wall outlet using my Samsung series 7 LED TV.

The SCV wall socket carries 2 types of signals as it is now.
  • Analog signal: Relay MediaCorp's FTA channels, RTM TV1 & SuperSport Arena
    - Viewable with TVs that has analog tuner
  • Digital DVB-C signal: Digital channels for StarHub Cable TV
    - Unencrypted: MediaCorp's 7 FTA channels + HD5 (viewable with TVs that has a DVB-C tuner)
    - Encrypted: StarHub's Pay TV channels (viewable with StarHub's DVB-C set top box)

StarHub's only having HD5 broadcasting in HD for the 7 FTA channels thru their DVB-C signals. An earlier post, there's mention of MDA noting that carriage for StarHub & SingTel at a later date as it needs to be tested. I assume this is for SH & ST carrying Channel 8, Suria & Vasa in HD as well on their system.

I need to know for the issue of being not able to tune in the HD & SD channels using my DVB-T2 TV and my cheapo indoor antenna. How to know if it is the antenna related issue? I would not guess it is the built-in DVB-T2 tuner issue as my TV is the new 2013 model from Samsung. Anyone has a better indoor antenna to recommend sure work? My cheapo indoor antenna is a passive one - meaning juz coaxial cable connected to the metal frame type bought from the neighbourhood HW shop.

It's tough to recommend and say it will ''sure work''. Depends on lots of factors such as your floor height. Whether the signals are present in your house at an acceptable threshold. I do know Sengkang is 1 of the repeater sites for DVB-T2. But I do not know the exact location of the repeater.

Last edited:

chakuman

Banned
Reaction score
Used the most primitive method:

image-9.jpg

HD8:

image-10.jpg

image-8.jpg

image-7.jpg

So far just looks like upscaled stuff, not too different from the upscaled (1080i) version of the normal SD channel via scv.

Can tell this is upscaled. Was waiting for them because they said the MediaCorp HD channels will be ready by Dec 2013... And we are now at Dec 2013.

chuppachop

Reaction score
At 10pm on Ch 8 (HD) when the News program is on-air, can someone confirm it's in True HD (not upscaled) similar to the HD5 news program at 9:30pm?

AnDyLe0

Reaction score
is Channel 8(HD) started already?
today i just saw HD5 renamed as 5(HD) already... just as what i've guessed... they are going to use 5(SD) and 5(HD) no more HD5 or HD8.
the upper right corner logo shows 5 logo with a small "HD" below and no more animation effect... now cannot know whether the show is presented in "True HD" or "True HD with 5.1 Surround" (prev it was shown during animation).

actually most of ch8 progs already in widescreen... so if 8(HD) starts... most mediacorp productions should be True HD already.
normally can differentiate from the subtitle fonts... 5(HD) subtitles are clear and sharp while 5(SD) subtitles are fat and blur.

chakuman

Banned
Reaction score
is Channel 8(HD) started already?
today i just saw HD5 renamed as 5(HD) already... just as what i've guessed... they are going to use 5(SD) and 5(HD) no more HD5 or HD8.
the upper right corner logo shows 5 logo with a small "HD" below and no more animation effect... now cannot know whether the show is presented in "True HD" or "True HD with 5.1 Surround" (prev it was shown during animation).

actually most of ch8 progs already in widescreen... so if 8(HD) starts... most mediacorp productions should be True HD already.
normally can differentiate from the subtitle fonts... 5(HD) subtitles are clear and sharp while 5(SD) subtitles are fat and blur.

Yup. I noticed the Channel 5 logo has changed too. Can anybody screenshot Channel 8 HD later on? The 9pm drama and 10pm news.

oselgan

Reaction score
The SCV wall socket carries 2 types of signals as it is now.
  • Analog signal: Relay MediaCorp's FTA channels, RTM TV1 & SuperSport Arena
    - Viewable with TVs that has analog tuner
  • Digital DVB-C signal: Digital channels for StarHub Cable TV
    - Unencrypted: MediaCorp's 7 FTA channels + HD5 (viewable with TVs that has a DVB-C tuner)
    - Encrypted: StarHub's Pay TV channels (viewable with StarHub's DVB-C set top box)

StarHub's only having HD5 broadcasting in HD for the 7 FTA channels thru their DVB-C signals. An earlier post, there's mention of MDA noting that carriage for StarHub & SingTel at a later date as it needs to be tested. I assume this is for SH & ST carrying Channel 8, Suria & Vasa in HD as well on their system.

My Samsung Series 7 TV does support both DVB-T2 & C format. I am able to get MediaCorp's 7 FTA channels via the HDB SCV antenna wall socket, but not HD5? Should I call Starhub or my town council to seek for their help to see if can get the HD5? As for the indoor antenna, does an active UHF indoor antenna help?

andmic04

Reaction score
I suspect your DVB-T2 Set top box is older version ( v.1.1.1 or v.1.2.1). To receive local DVB-T2 channels, your DVB-T2 set top box must support v.1.3.1 .

Previously i bought one DVB-T2 V1.2.1, now it can't receive any DVB-T2 Channel. Recently i get a new DVB-T2 v1.3.1 SetTopBox (designed by local company),i can receive all the DVB-T2 & T channels in my reside area (Jurong East) via indoor antenna(No power required).

Be careful, when you buy a DVB-T2 receiver online.

I concur with u the different in Dvb-t2 version do matter.
Can you share where u got ur and its model.. does it come with pvr feature.

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
My Samsung Series 7 TV does support both DVB-T2 & C format. I am able to get MediaCorp's 7 FTA channels via the HDB SCV antenna wall socket, but not HD5? Should I call Starhub or my town council to seek for their help to see if can get the HD5? As for the indoor antenna, does an active UHF indoor antenna help?

HD5 via DVB-C on StarHub antenna has the raw frequency 370000Khz, so check that your TV can tune to that frequency.

congster2

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
At 10pm on Ch 8 (HD) when the News program is on-air, can someone confirm it's in True HD (not upscaled) similar to the HD5 news program at 9:30pm?

looks like upscaled stuff. love the idea. HD signal. SD quality. :)

batuchka

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
wah think for the benefit of all now and in future perhaps best to collate all TVs, set top boxes and PCIe/USB DVB-T2 tuners that work with Singapore DVB-T2 standard and sticky it :eek: perhaps include what sort of antenna as well

sunnycrowe

Reaction score
Do I need to retune channel 5 for true hd, or can use back existing channel 5 frequency?

All these true hd or sd or upscale is so confusing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.