Singapore Savings Bonds

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
I get "annoyed" when people ask questions which were just answered just a few posts earlier.

I can understand why people tend to ask here instead of Google. Because banks and insurance companies have small prints and tnc which sometimes is not obvious. So there is some fear that may miss out something. Also banks CSO a lot of time don't really know the product as well as those who really have the product.

But really thankful to those who help to reply the questions, and teach us about tbills and SGS bonds etc
1 huge advantage of asking question on public platform over google search is that the answer will be tailored to your very specific question.
And it maybe possible to get quite a few angle on that specific question.

some huge disadvantage is of course the legitimacy, accuracy, and well the contradicting replies.

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
1 huge advantage of asking question on public platform over google search is that the answer will be tailored to your very specific question.

some huge disadvantage is of course the legitimacy, accuracy, and well the contradicting replies.
Yep for sure. But some asking about what’s the application deadline, what’s the rate etc, I think people ought to know they can check out the website.

If they have doubts whether they are looking at the right thing, for sure post and ask.

sohguanh

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Just to add on sometimes the follow up replies by different readers bring in "new thing" that is not for the original question. But there will be readers keen to know that "new thing" for e.g just in the T-bill thread somehow SGS bond (Reopen) come into the picture and it is actually a good informative read on this "new thing" at least to me.

lzydata

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You are saying based on your estimates correct? Aug SSB not formally announced yet I just check website.
Because 21 out of 22 business days of June have passed. I would not estimate at the beginning of the month, right now anyone can. As the writer of the Zaobao article said, so long as there are no more big moves.

1​
2​
5​
10​
1.99​
2.41​
2.82​
3.00​

If tomorrow's closing yields are the same as today 29 June's:

1​
2​
5​
10​
2.00​
2.43​
2.82​
3.00​

Hence I say we are so close not only to 3.00% pa on the one end, but also 2.00% on the other.

Just to blabber on more, the 1st year yield falls just short of the record 2.01% pa (SBJAN19).

The 2 years yield 2.4x% is a record for 2 years.
The 5 years yield 2.8x% is a record for 5 years.
The 10 years yield 3.00% (maybe) is a record for 10 years.

Likely all average yields from 2 to 10 years will be a record.

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Because 21 out of 22 business days of June have passed. I would not estimate at the beginning of the month, right now anyone can. As the writer of the Zaobao article said, so long as there are no more big moves.

1​
2​
5​
10​
1.99​
2.41​
2.82​
3.00​

1​
2​
5​
10​
2.00​
2.43​
2.82​
3.00​

Hence I say we are so close not only to 3.00% pa on the one end, but also 2.00% on the other.

Just to blabber on more, the 1st year yield falls just short of the record 2.01% pa (SBJAN19).

4% 4%, come.

darwinkoh

Reaction score
I have max the 200k from previous issue. I am interest in the coming Aug issue. Timing wise, can I sold... e.g. 30k from my existing SSB in Jul and qualify to apply for another 30k in the Aug issue? Thanks.

ekardo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have max the 200k from previous issue. I am interest in the coming Aug issue. Timing wise, can I sold... e.g. 30k from my existing SSB in Jul and qualify to apply for another 30k in the Aug issue? Thanks.
One can only predict the allocation. So what if only $5k? U lugi on the 25k that could earn you higher interest

lzydata

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

From the SSB FAQ:

If I have reached my Individual Limit but have submitted a redemption request, will I be able to apply for new Savings Bonds within the same month to bring my total holdings back to the Individual Limit?

• Yes. You can redeem your holdings in SSB and apply for a new bond in the same month, provided you are within your total Individual Limit of S$200,000. However, you must ensure that there is sufficient money in your bank account at the point of application as your redemption proceeds will only be returned to you by the end of the second business day of the following month from when you submitted the redemption application.

As the application for new SSB and redemption for old SSB is the same window, if you redeem $30k anytime between 1 and 26 July, you will only get the money on 1 or 2 August, by which time SBAUG22 has already been issued.

You can apply for the next issue SBSEP22 but it's not ideal, as your money is hanging around "outside" from 1 August to around 26 August. No point applying early in August either as you gain nothing from applying earlier.

The only way to "swap" SSBs is to both redeem the $30k and apply with a different $30k in the same July window, then get back the redeemed $30k on 1/2 August. As the MAS FAQ states, this will be considered still within the Individual Limit.

Also bear in mind that for $30k you may not get fully allotted, as SSB demand is very high now.

sohguanh

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

1​
2​
5​
10​
1.99​
2.41​
2.82​
3.00​

1​
2​
5​
10​
2.00​
2.43​
2.82​
3.00​

Ppl who are going for UOB 15 months 2% should wait for 01 Jul SSB for Aug announcement first.

limster

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Today (29 Jun 905am) ST published news article on SSB 2.71% "highest since 2015" .. luckily they only published after applications closed.. otherwise maybe maybe everyone will get less than $18k... :s13:

https://www.straitstimes.com/busine...ar-average-return-hits-271-highest-since-2015
But with this fresh publicity and the 3% rate (or 2.999), I doubt I will get $18k next month,.

People who got more than $18k to deploy don't need to wait for SSB. Just keep $18k for the next SSB, and find something else to invest in for the rest. I managed to buy some Astrea V at face value ($1) on Monday.

Looking at how fast it is building up the reserves account, I am happy to buy more at $1. But Liquidity is so low, pls don't follow me and bid up the price, thanks! :cool: 🌵 📈

d5dude

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Agree on the answer tailored to specific question point. Not every question can be answered with Google search... this is what a discussion board is for.

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Agree on the answer tailored to specific question point. Not every question can be answered with Google search... this is what a discussion board is for.
Definitely not every qns can be googled.

but it’s those that can be, that ought to be told how to fish

Moowoow

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Today (29 Jun 905am) ST published news article on SSB 2.71% "highest since 2015" .. luckily they only published after applications closed.. otherwise maybe maybe everyone will get less than $18k... :s13:

https://www.straitstimes.com/busine...ar-average-return-hits-271-highest-since-2015
But with this fresh publicity and the 3% rate (or 2.999), I doubt I will get $18k next month,.

People who got more than $18k to deploy don't need to wait for SSB. Just keep $18k for the next SSB, and find something else to invest in for the rest. I managed to buy some Astrea V at face value ($1) on Monday.

Looking at how fast it is building up the reserves account, I am happy to buy more at $1. But Liquidity is so low, pls don't follow me and bid up the price, thanks! :cool: 🌵 📈
Does 200k apply to t bills

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.