Singapore Savings Bonds

lzydata

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just curious Total Applied: 231,340,000 and then Total Applied Within Limit: 227,342,000 that means got ppl try their luck to apply beyond the 200k cap ? To test the system ?

Yup..the part total apply within limits
Meaning?
Ppl try theirs luck bid more than 200k?

Yes it should be, or they just forgot that they reached the individual limit.

lzydata

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Apparently not as many as it seems though.

2 in 3 working Singaporeans do not have savings to last them beyond 6 months: OCBC survey
https://www.straitstimes.com/busine...ave-savings-to-last-them-beyond-6-months-ocbc
Also:

Singapore millionaires surge to 526,000; ultra-wealthy up 8.6% to 4,200
Ultra-rich - those with at least US$30 million - expected to jump further 43% to almost 6,000 by 2026

https://www.businesstimes.com.sg/we...individuals-in-singapore-and-globally-in-2021
It doesn't take many of these folks to accidentally apply for more SSB than they can.

The solution for these people is - SGS, no individual limit.

boringLife-

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can I check how long on average you guys put your fund into a single issue of SSB? Put and forget, or flip it every few months?

sohguanh

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can I check how long on average you guys put your fund into a single issue of SSB? Put and forget, or flip it every few months?
I think it depend. Some ppl like to put and forget continue to get monies every 6 months type. Some like to check if got new bond with better rate appear then flip. For me since apply and redeem all done via app/internet it is so easy to do no need go branch take Q number and wait. But checking every month maybe a hassle but it is your monies so must be 'on the ball' lah.

LowSesHotelEater2019

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi nee
Govt to offer Singapore Savings Bonds for local investors

Govt to offer Singapore Savings Bonds for local investors
26 Mar 2015
12:33 PM

http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/gov...r-singapore-savings-bonds-for-local-investors

THE government will introduce the new Singapore Savings Bonds (SSB), a type of Singapore Government Securities (SGS) for local individual investors, announced Josephine Teo, Senior Minister of State for Finance and Transport, at the annual conference of the Investment Management Association of Singapore (IMAS) on Thursday.

Like SGS, the Singapore Savings Bonds are safe investments, principal-guaranteed by the government, Mrs Teo said. Holders of the SSB can also get their money back in any given month, with no penalty, and can earn interest that is linked to long-term SGS rates. Also, unlike bonds that pay the same coupons each year, the SSB pays coupons that increase over time.

The government and the Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS) are still working on the details of the SSB programme, and will release more information later.

To improve the availability of corporate bonds to Singapore retail investors, MAS and the Singapore Exchange (SGX) will also ease the financial and administrative costs for issuers seeking to tap the retail market, Mrs Teo said.

Two new frameworks as well as a tax deduction have been proposed, and MAS and SGX are targeting to implement the proposals in the second quarter of 2015.

"We hope that corporate issuers with strong financials will utilise the new frameworks and tax concession to issue retail bonds, which will enhance the investment choices for Singaporean investors," Mrs Teo said.
I Hi. New to ssb
I apply cdp online - pending activation
I want use uob bank
But i was googling and is confused
Do u need to apply uob kay hian trading account separately
Or i can just go to the UOB app- click wealth-click saving bond and apply directly? This part nt address in several guides only

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi nee

I Hi. New to ssb
I want use uob bank
no
Or i can just go to the UOB app- click wealth-click saving bond and apply directly? This part nt address in several guides only
u got follow the instructions on ssb website?

lzydata

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi nee

I Hi. New to ssb
I want use uob bank
If you just want to use your CDP account for SSB then you don't need a brokerage account with UOBKH or any other broker, but you can sign up for one if you want, since it is free. In fact it is easier to sign up for a brokerage account and set up the CDP account at the same time.

LowSesHotelEater2019

Master Member
Reaction score
If you just want to use your CDP account for SSB then you don't need a brokerage account with UOBKH or any other broker, but you can sign up for one if you want, since it is free. In fact it is easier to sign up for a brokerage account and set up the CDP account at the same time.
Hey thanks. I gotten the cdp account number.. but the Cdp account Pending activation.
I went to uob wealth to apply..it say cdp account suspended?
But the email from cdp say i can proceeds to apply account for trading.

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hey thanks. I gotten the cdp account number.. but the Cdp account Pending activation.
I went to uob wealth to apply..it say cdp account suspended?
But the email from cdp say i can proceeds to apply account for trading.
Did ssb website say ssb is applied through uob wealth??

is just standard ibanking what

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all, planning my parent's retirement and was considering SSB. But seeing the current interest rate is ~2% for 10Y wait, would it make more sense to place the money in retirement account and earning 4% interest?

Anyway my parents met FRS and can withdraw anything above the BRS amount
If you are looking purely at % u got ur answer. But what’s your objective and concerns?

anything topped up can’t be withdraw at will

Meemoosaa

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all - just realized the SSB interest for June has gone up to 2.5% + on average. Seems like a high note in a very long time.

Anyway, DBS recommended some new products. Nothing exciting to be honest (Ready Life) with a 2.7% compound interest for 5 years hold and can contribute on a monthly basis but I mention SSB looks like a much better deal at current a 2.5%+ with lots more flexibility to withdraw anytime + twice a year auto cash interest payout.

The bank manager said SSB only works if we do not touch the money.... but I thought that is really beside the point. The flexibility to withdraw and twice a year payout is attractive and at 2.5% average for June, even more so.

Am I missing anything or is it an unfair product comparison? They did mention they are trying to compete with CPF rates and the lockup time.

I'm aware we may not necessarily get allocated the exact amount we would like for SSB. However, locking my money for 5 years doesn't sound all that exciting at this stage of my life. Just wondering if SSB experts have any thoughts?

ekardo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all - just realized the SSB interest for June has gone up to 2.5% + on average. Seems like a high note in a very long time.

Anyway, DBS recommended some new products. Nothing exciting to be honest (Ready Life) with a 2.7% compound interest for 5 years hold and can contribute on a monthly basis but I mention SSB looks like a much better deal at current a 2.5%+ with lots more flexibility to withdraw anytime + twice a year auto cash interest payout.

The bank manager said SSB only works if we do not touch the money.... but I thought that is really beside the point. The flexibility to withdraw and twice a year payout is attractive and at 2.5% average for June, even more so.

Am I missing anything or is it an unfair product comparison? They did mention they are trying to compete with CPF rates and the lockup time.

I'm aware we may not necessarily get allocated the exact amount we would like for SSB. However, locking my money for 5 years doesn't sound all that exciting at this stage of my life. Just wondering if SSB experts have any thoughts?
u said it....

SSB is more flexible, and if the rate is simliar, you should know the answer..

Buzy_bee

Reaction score
Bank manager trying to smoke you. The interest will be prorated even when you sell 1 month after you buy.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.