Singapore Treasury bills (T-bills)

Geralt

Reaction score
Vent frustration for noob bidder lor

Already spread within my circle and hopefully hwz readers of this thread will spread further

Really must give it to the Chao Noob bidder 🤣
People have been ranting about it for many pages since the previous t-bill COY was 4%, and it did nothing to make the COY go up for this one. The yield going down was something that some of us feared would happen as the publicity around t-bills grew during the past few months. It was bound to happen and there's just not much we can do about it except to weigh our investment options and try to educate those we know about it.

dreamwork7878

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Apply CPF OA for tbills. Last Sunday straits times mentioned there is a 2 months lags.
Didnt this people lose money for low ball ?

reiser

Master Member
Reaction score
I read a blog posted here that as long as the T bill rate is 3.7%, it’s break even with CPF interest rate. I guess these people are happy with anything above 2.5% so 3.9% is lottery to them.

a4973

Master Member
Reaction score
Apply CPF OA for tbills. Last Sunday straits times mentioned there is a 2 months lags.
Didnt this people lose money for low ball ?
Do you recall what is the recommended minimum cutoff yield mentioned in the article? If current COY > recommended COY then still nett gain.

devion

Reaction score
When Tbill matures, will there be some form of notification? Or we have to track them on our own on corresponding accounts? Like SRS, CPFIS or savings?

WHLN17

Reaction score
Some argue/justify low ballers doesn’t matter, well, they apparently didn’t know MAS bill which have similar tenure but no retail participants have been yielding well above 4% (last 2 rounds 4.5 and 4.45 respectively).

Geralt

Reaction score
I read a blog posted here that as long as the T bill rate is 3.7%, it’s break even with CPF interest rate. I guess these people are happy with anything above 2.5% so 3.9% is lottery to them.
3.7% is way too high. It's only 2.92% for those with 7 month loss interest and 3.33% for 8 months loss interest.

dreamwork7878

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Those under 55 years old, CPF OA continue to earn up to 3.5 percent a year on their OA funds and up to 5% on their special and medisave account . these rates include an extra 1 % interest on the first $60k of their combined balance (capped at $20k for OA).

for those 55 years old and above, government pay members extra 2% interest on the first 30k of their combined balance( capped $20k for OA) and an extra 1 percent on the next $30k. this means that they will earn up to 6% interest a year on their retirement balance.

which age group low balling the tbill ?

audiovideo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
no lah, even lowballing 0.01%, still get full allotment with cut off yield of 3.9%

If 100k cpfoa 2.5%, lose 2 months is $400+.
6month Tbill at 4% earn extra $750.
See if this "loss" ok boh. Not sure calculate tio boh cos teabreak time.

If can use to protect SA for many more good years, then maybe ok.

rubber33

Master Member
Reaction score
Felt so happy that I didn’t get my tbill. Now going to rhb for 5 %. Use my money play musical chair.

zeroX26

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Those under 55 years old, CPF OA continue to earn up to 3.5 percent a year on their OA funds and up to 5% on their special and medisave account . these rates include an extra 1 % interest on the first $60k of their combined balance (capped at $20k for OA).

for those 55 years old and above, government pay members extra 2% interest on the first 30k of their combined balance( capped $20k for OA) and an extra 1 percent on the next $30k. this means that they will earn up to 6% interest a year on their retirement balance.

3.5% is only on the first 20k of OA nia lah.

WHLN17

Reaction score
I won’t go bank to submit form but if and once CPF online is possible, I am going to bid 3.55% and let low ballers have a taste of their own medicine.

dork32

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

take my example

i have 200k oa ,250k sa and 60k sa

my 200k earn 2.5%
my 250k earn 4%
my 60k earn 4%
i earn an additional 1% for 60k

if i invest.180k oa,
my 20k earn 2.5%
my 250k earn 4%
my 60k earn 4%

if after this i invest 210k of sa
my 20k earn 2.5%
my 40k earn 4%
my 60k earn 4%

so dont have to bluff people about the 3.5% and 5%. no matter how you invest youtr sa and oa, i still get the extra 1%. for many of us, it is still 2.5% for oa and 4% for sa

BBCWatcher

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Serious, you want a major overhaul of our CPF system to address probably a few months surge in Tbills applications?
Do you see “I want” in what I wrote?

By the way, adjusting compulsory contribution rates is not a “major overhaul.” The CPF Board has done that frequently. In fact, it’s about to do that from January 1, 2023, for workers age 55+.

twosix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

You really dreaming (as per ur name) or really dun know how to calculate? How can this be better than all earning 3.9% interest?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.