Singtel 1 Gbps Fibre

firesong

Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
could be. anyway most enterprise/corporate customers i know (incl govt agencies) typically use M1 or starhub instead of singtel for their internet service. M1 is simply more price competitive at a better service level
Heh. This graph is also proof for my family to know how bad the service level is so they can visually see for themselves what's happening. No point speaking abstractions to non-techies when you can chart the real world performance over time and show them the graph.

Some sites are okay, others are not - steam's pings look very similar to the singtel graph I've showed, while some overseas universities have very high ping numbers - including Purdue OWL (for reference purposes), Oregon OSL, MIT; sites like Twitter (my sis uses it heavily), and ping times to her friends overseas are quite bad, worse than Starhub. Now with her seeing it for herself, she's quite appalled at the quality of Singtel's home internet service.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all
Just sign up with ST this month. Previously used whizcomm.
Problem i am facing is i will get DC easily after changing to ST. Whizcomm i do not encounter this problem.
They have promotion and give me free STB. Which i will not be using after 1 month later.
Currently the ONR is in my DB box. I am using ASUS Ax58U. I only have 1 router which is this ASUS. Acted as Main Router.
Do i need to do any setting or change any setup to prevent frequent DC?
Kindly do help as i am not so good in networking.
Thank you in advance!

1) Reboot the ONR and RT-AX58U to see if that helps.

2) Change the RT-AX58U to AP mode to see if that helps.

3) And check your Ethernet cable between ONR and RT-AX58U.

4) Carry out Ookla Speedtest by connecting a laptop directly to the ONR, and then carry out the test again by connecting to the RT-AX58U to see if both results are around 900Mbps or higher.

After the above troubleshooting, then you can go to next step to see whether to buy another Asus router to form AImesh. Then it is better to post the floor plan and indicate the current ONR and router locations, and data points at home if you have that.

hwzlite

Reaction score
CHeh. This graph is also proof for my family to know how bad the service level is so they can visually see for themselves what's happening. No point speaking abstractions to non-techies when you can chart the real world performance over time and show them the graph.

Some sites are okay, others are not - steam's pings look very similar to the singtel graph I've showed, while some overseas universities have very high ping numbers - including Purdue OWL (for reference purposes), Oregon OSL, MIT; sites like Twitter (my sis uses it heavily), and ping times to her friends overseas are quite bad, worse than Starhub. Now with her seeing it for herself, she's quite appalled at the quality of Singtel's home internet service.

Cool, any chance contribute your Singtel 1% bandwidth to RIPE Atlas Software Probes as well? :)
Currently got only 3 active probes https://stat.ripe.net/9506#tabId=activity

firesong

Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
they ran out of stock for hardware probes lol. maybe ill repurpose my old raspi ver 1 in future :)
Ah. I'm underutilising my current linux SBC, so am considering. But my probes seem to be taking up a lot of storage space so I need to plan how to do it properly also.

Seems like I messed up my docker installation such that everything's now on root.

hwzlite

Reaction score
they ran out of stock for hardware probes lol. maybe ill repurpose my old raspi ver 1 in future :)

Ah. I'm underutilising my current linux SBC, so am considering. But my probes seem to be taking up a lot of storage space so I need to plan how to do it properly also.

Seems like I messed up my docker installation such that everything's now on root.

Swee! let me know once you guys in the system , i will transfer my spare millions credits to you for kickstarting, so far i hoarded total of 70mil++ surplus 😅

firesong

Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Swee! let me know once you guys in the system , i will transfer my spare millions credits to you for kickstarting, so far i hoarded total of 70mil++ surplus 😅
Just tried, My SBC is an ARM64 box, and the docker containers aren't compatible. :(

miloaisdino

Reaction score
Just tried, My SBC is an ARM64 box, and the docker containers aren't compatible. :(
ive had the same issue with my old raspberry pi v1 . armv6 is simply not supported. plan to manually compile for armv6 debian target instead (non-docker)

edit: compilation takes forever.. going to leave my rpi running overnight hopefully it completes

Last edited:

THFC78

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My Singtel WiFi Gigabit Router suddenly have issue with 2.4GHz signal, barely able to detect and connect but 5GHz is working fine.

Anyone encounter this issue before, any possible reason for this?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My Singtel WiFi Gigabit Router suddenly have issue with 2.4GHz signal, barely able to detect and connect but 5GHz is working fine.

Anyone encounter this issue before, any possible reason for this?

For 2.4GHz, it is easily affected by the 2.4GHz signal from neighbors. So it may or may not be the router.

Anyway, if you use the old Singtel AC Plus router, that is a pretty bad router and I would recommend to change asap. You can get Singtel Mesh Router Consumer version (free with new sign-up, may be free with recontract). It is pretty cheap at Carousell at around S$30. Make sure you do not buy the Business version.

And of course you can buy better ones as well, for example, Asus RT-AX58U.

bert64

Reaction score

THFC78

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For 2.4GHz, it is easily affected by the 2.4GHz signal from neighbors. So it may or may not be the router.

Anyway, if you use the old Singtel AC Plus router, that is a pretty bad router and I would recommend to change asap. You can get Singtel Mesh Router Consumer version (free with new sign-up, may be free with recontract). It is pretty cheap at Carousell at around S$30. Make sure you do not buy the Business version.

And of course you can buy better ones as well, for example, Asus RT-AX58U.

Thanks for the reply.

I tried switching it out with another spare router and now 2.4GHz is working fine. Look like my AC plus up lorry liao

Will check out your recommendation

bert64

Reaction score
wow, your M1 probe has only ipv6 connectivity? future ready :D
It should have legacy ip too, but its through nat.. the other probes have fully routable addressing.
Other than that can't think of a reason why it wouldn't show up.

Will look at debugging it tomorrow.

Newbie1227

Reaction score
1) Reboot the ONR and RT-AX58U to see if that helps.

2) Change the RT-AX58U to AP mode to see if that helps.

3) And check your Ethernet cable between ONR and RT-AX58U.

4) Carry out Ookla Speedtest by connecting a laptop directly to the ONR, and then carry out the test again by connecting to the RT-AX58U to see if both results are around 900Mbps or higher.

After the above troubleshooting, then you can go to next step to see whether to buy another Asus router to form AImesh. Then it is better to post the floor plan and indicate the current ONR and router locations, and data points at home if you have that.
Hi

Try speedtest and found out

connect directly to ONR. speed 900 plus on both upload and download

connect directly to router. speed 500 plus on both upload and download.

this speed is when i set my ASUS router as main.

have not try setting it to AP to test the speed.

from this point what do u suspect? cable issue?

sadboy

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi

If you using a ONR And keeping the Asus as router will be double NAT.

It does affect your speed. If the same cable gets you 900.

Don’t think the cable is the issue but no harm to change it before giving it a test.

do try to configure

Asus to ap mode and try again

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi

Disable QoS on the Asus router and try again.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.