Singtel 1 Gbps Fibre

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
legacy plan is 500mbps and they claimed existing ONT incompatible and is mandatory change to ONR for 1Gbps. Was given the Nokia ONR. The tech support hotline said based on their system a $100 service will be levied for bridging request due to another new ONR has to be issued and technician coming onsite to setup.

Not sure if the tech support staff i spoken with trying to smoke me by claiming the ONR bridge mode cannot be done on their end?

Both claims are not true.

1) ONT for 500Mbps plan is compatible with 1Gbps plan. I upgraded from 500Mbps plan to 1Gbps plan back in 2018 and I could continue using the old Ericsson ONT (issued back in Feb 2012). Later I changed to ZTE ONT.
2) Nokia ONR can be bridged through the backend, as per reports here.

You may want to lodge a complain to SIngtel (say call again and if you got the same answer try to escalate). If problem can not be resolved, complain through IMDA.

Edit to add:
Some Singtel technical support staff may not be trained properly and have poor technical knowledge...

KYOGRE

Reaction score
Both claims are not true.

1) ONT for 500Mbps plan is compatible with 1Gbps plan. I upgraded from 500Mbps plan to 1Gbps plan back in 2018 and I could continue using the old Ericsson ONT (issued back in Feb 2012). Later I changed to ZTE ONT.
2) Nokia ONR can be bridged through the backend, as per reports here.

You may want to lodge a complain to SIngtel (say call again and if you got the same answer try to escalate). If problem can not be resolved, complain through IMDA.
Definitely will call again and escalate to IMDA.

lilycll

Reaction score
legacy plan is 500mbps and they claimed existing ONT incompatible and is mandatory change to ONR for 1Gbps. Was given the Nokia ONR. The tech support hotline said based on their system a $100 service will be levied for bridging request due to another new ONR has to be issued and technician coming onsite to setup.

Not sure if the tech support staff i spoken with trying to smoke me by claiming the ONR bridge mode cannot be done on their end?

What was the ONT you used before the upgrade? See this link for the list.

ONT vs ONR Guide

I have been and still using the ALU (Alcatel-Lucent or Nokia G-240G-C) since early 2015 on 500Mbps and upgraded to 1Gbps in 2019. My speedtest is around 900Mbps (Download) and 800Mbps (Upload) when tested with pfSense. Otherwise with an old SingTel supplied Aztech FG7003GRV(AC) Router, speed test is about 200-300Mbps. I received a new SingTel Mesh Router when recontracted this year but have not switchover as I have read and saw about the router profile uploading to SingTel server.

Last edited:

PinkGlory

Reaction score
If I recontract to 1 Gbps, is it better for me to request Singtel to let me keep my ONT? Or the new router will only work with their ONR? I was told I can get a new router as mine is really a very old router.

Can give a simple explanation what is the advantage of using ONT?

lilycll

Reaction score
If I recontract to 1 Gbps, is it better for me to request Singtel to let me keep my ONT? Or the new router will only work with their ONR? I was told I can get a new router as mine is really a very old router.

Can give a simple explanation what is the advantage of using ONT?

There's another thread on this topic

ONT vs ONR

lilycll

Reaction score
Saw this home-made mini rack for those who are interested to make one:

FUDW6YGIZ6BFNJ2.jpg

Website www.instructables.com

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

PinkGlory

Reaction score
I am considering to recontract with the 1Gbps wifi 6 bundle at $49.90. How much better is the Linksys E9450 router as compared to m1's many topped up routers? It is about same price if I switch to m1 and top up about $10+ so works out to almost the same price. M1 also has 2 months free subscription for new subscribers. I am just trying to solve the thick wall problems in my old hdb flat.

Actually I am not sure with the free given routers it would help with the reception as I am currently using the old Singtel router Aztech DSL 7002GRV(S) which will be replaced with a new one if I recontract.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am considering to recontract with the 1Gbps wifi 6 bundle at $49.90. How much better is the Linksys E9450 router as compared to m1's many topped up routers? It is about same price if I switch to m1 and top up about $10+ so works out to almost the same price. M1 also has 2 months free subscription for new subscribers. I am just trying to solve the thick wall problems in my old hdb flat.

Actually I am not sure with the free given routers it would help with the reception as I am currently using the old Singtel router Aztech DSL 7002GRV(S) which will be replaced with a new one if I recontract.

As replied in the other thread, you have to post your floor plan and current ONT/Router placement. Depensing on your floor plan and palcement of the main router, it could well be that single router is not good enough (including the Linksys E9450 or even the Asus RT-AX86U router). In that case, you may really need to buy more expensive triband mesh solution in order to have good wireless performance. But it could also be that you can optimize the placement of the main router and single router can cover the full flat.

More info about Wireless home networking for flats without LAN ports.
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/...flats-without-lan-ports-in-the-rooms.6646066/

ltrinityl

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm currently using the Singtel's AC Elite 1900 router...

Thinking to change to a WiFi 6 router.

Currently on Singtel 1Gbps plan and most of the devices at home are using wireless connection except for miotv which is wired.

Any recommendations on which router to get?

TIA

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have try the put in picture link like IMGUR, but get error said : "image can not be loaded as passed link"

Just post the URL if you do not know how to embed the image. You can also look other people's post to see how they post the pictures.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm currently using the Singtel's AC Elite 1900 router...

Thinking to change to a WiFi 6 router.

Currently on Singtel 1Gbps plan and most of the devices at home are using wireless connection except for miotv which is wired.

Any recommendations on which router to get?

TIA

Asus RT-AX86U will be a good choice if budget allows. Singtel is the exclusive distributor now and you can get it at S$14*24 = S$336 if you have an old Asus router.
https://www.singtel.com/personal/products-services/broadband/eform/recycleyourrouter
You can also read this thread for other lower cost options.
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/threads/ax-router-recommendations.6477403/page-2#post-138172769

ltrinityl

Reaction score
Asus RT-AX86U will be a good choice if budget allows. Singtel is the exclusive distributor now and you can get it at S$14*24 = S$336 if you have an old Asus router.
https://www.singtel.com/personal/products-services/broadband/eform/recycleyourrouter
You can also read this thread for other lower cost options.
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/threads/ax-router-recommendations.6477403/page-2#post-138172769

Thanks for the reply.

I recently just recontracted the fibre + mio tv and was not offered this promo...

Probably just gonna get the router itself at carousell or lazada...

Is the AX-86U plug and play? or need to configure anything as I'm not really well versed in these.

TIA

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.
I recently just recontracted the fibre + mio tv and was not offered this promo...
Probably just gonna get the router itself at carousell or lazada...
Is the AX-86U plug and play? or need to configure anything as I'm not really well versed in these.
TIA

You can still get RT-AX86U from SingTel now as it is cheaper than outside. You need to have an old Asus router to qualify as it is a trade in promotion. The offer can be added to your existing plan (S$14 per month x 24 months).

It is not difficult to setup by following the Asus Singtel ONT user guide for RT-AX86U. I believe you are still using SingTel ONT and not ONR, right?
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1044897/
In case you changed to ONR (not a good idea), here is the guide from Singtel. It also covers ONT use cases.
https://www.singtel.com/content/dam...QIG/ASUS-Singtel-Setup-with-Profile-Guide.pdf

Last edited:

GoldenStars

Reaction score
anyone using the Singtel mesh router but just one of it? do not need mesh function as house is small but anyone knows why the speed just one room away is almost unusable? is there any settings that should be changed from the default?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
anyone using the Singtel mesh router but just one of it? do not need mesh function as house is small but anyone knows why the speed just one room away is almost unusable? is there any settings that should be changed from the default?

SingTel Mesh Router is not really meant to be a mesh solution as SingTel does not sell the corresponding SingTel Mesh Extender to individual users.

New subscriber will get either the SingTel Mesh Router (AC1900) or the Mesh Extender (AC2600).

I am actually using the SingTel Mesh Router as an AP myself and it is not too bad in terms of coverage.

You may want to post your floor plan and how you place the SingTel Mesh Router. Concrete walls of old flat are very effective in blocking WiFi signals.

A few suggestions.
1) Try to place the wireless router in the central location of the flat if possible.

2) Try to put the wireless router on the higher place without obstructions

3) DO NOT block the router with things like fish tank or glass walls

4) Try to separate the 2.4GHz and 5GHz band

5) Use the wireless site survey function of the SingTel Mesh Router to manually choose the wireless band to see if that helps. But take note your neighbors may change the wifi bands used so this may not be so effective.

Singtel

Featured Sponsor
Reaction score

We definitely would like to help, KYOGRE. If you allow us, please share the account holder's contact details with us via DM, and one of my colleagues will contact you so we can personally look into this in greater detail.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.