Singtel 1 Gbps Fibre

ra[g]e

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to share my experience as a new Singtel Fibre subscriber. I have previously used SH, M1, MR and VQ.

Singtel is the second worst (VQ is worst). If your contract is up change provider. They nowadays only provide ONR with no option for ONT, and sometimes the ONR will need manual rebooting. So now instead of wondering if your own router needs to reboot, you have to reboot the ONR as well. Additionally, Singtel refuses to enable bridge mode for your ONR unless you top up for their ridiculously priced gamer plan.

Also the throttling and blocking. Singtel throttles quite a number of websites and they often outright block torrenting. Switched to VPN to test and full speed. Ridiculous that ST is still doing this when no other ISP is doing anything similar right now, at least not to this extent.

I signed up for Singtel thinking they had the best overseas bandwidth and links. The downsides far outweigh any benefit, and I haven't noticed any improved overseas bandwidth.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
They don't really care about customer retention now.

I remembered 5 to 10 years ago. They will swoop in and call me 2 months before my contract is up.

Now, they don't bother to even send an email.

Their online recontract website is also a joke. It will direct me to their new subscriber promo site. Is it a hint from them telling me they don't care if I leave.

Quite some people get good offers by calling Singtel and ask to be transferred to the customer retention department.

I do get SMS offers or email offers before contract ends from Singtel (Fibre broadband and Singtel SIM Only). No reminder for Singtel TV though -- but Singtel TV counter staff is quite helpful.

But no issue to switch to other ISPs if you do not like Singtel. M1/Starhub are fine choices.

ladiesman217

Master Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to share my experience as a new Singtel Fibre subscriber. I have previously used SH, M1, MR and VQ.

Singtel is the second worst (VQ is worst). If your contract is up change provider. They nowadays only provide ONR with no option for ONT, and sometimes the ONR will need manual rebooting. So now instead of wondering if your own router needs to reboot, you have to reboot the ONR as well. Additionally, Singtel refuses to enable bridge mode for your ONR unless you top up for their ridiculously priced gamer plan.

Also the throttling and blocking. Singtel throttles quite a number of websites and they often outright block torrenting. Switched to VPN to test and full speed. Ridiculous that ST is still doing this when no other ISP is doing anything similar right now, at least not to this extent.

I signed up for Singtel thinking they had the best overseas bandwidth and links. The downsides far outweigh any benefit, and I haven't noticed any improved overseas bandwidth.
I super seldom had to manual reboot my ONR.

Been torrenting for years on singtel without vpn without any issues. Where got outright block?

User problem la.

Dashie

Reaction score
Anyone having intermittent lag with their fibre? This normally happens at night with websites that aren't as popular like https://evantage.gilmoreglobal.com/ (ebook textbook site)
The books load really slow and each page turn takes like ~10 seconds to load.
Same here it has been happening for the past two days and sometime once or twice during the monsoon season and tonight is especially bad I don't know what is happening I live in central

loganrunning

Reaction score
but Singtel TV counter staff is quite helpful.

to add on my experiences, some are more knowledgeable esp on lobang and how to get a better deal. if you lay out problem and constraints, they will make an effort to help. the problem is the system, unfortunately.

AphoticFX

Reaction score
Same here it has been happening for the past two days and sometime once or twice during the monsoon season and tonight is especially bad I don't know what is happening I live in central
How long has it been happening for you?

cybertech

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Singtel ONR will not be able to do Port Forwarding e.g from public to internal CCTV, NAS etc right?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

cybertech

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It should be able to do port forwarding. But there are reports of issues regarding Port Forwarding.

Are you with Singtel now? If not yet, then no point considering Singtel because of ONR.

Ref: one example of port forwarding issues.
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/threads/singtel-port-forwarding-issue.6755972/
Not yet. Current Starhub expiring end of Feb and becoz I paying Singtel Analog Home Line so looking at Singtel BB with free home line. Starhub charge over $88 (1 time) to include their Digital Voice Home even if I recontract their 1Gbps BB. Now looking at M1 BB which also include free Home Line and see what are their 1 time charges amount with the port over numbers from Singtel.

ra[g]e

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I super seldom had to manual reboot my ONR.

Been torrenting for years on singtel without vpn without any issues. Where got outright block?

User problem la.
You get full speeds? I open torrent on my normal client, cannot connect, 0kbps. Connect VPN, full speed.

Please enlighten how that can happen if its not Singtel blocking? What possible setting is there on the client to change such that VPN full speed and Singtel 0kpbs?

Possibly they've changed the throttling behaviour for new customers or new accounts.

ONR I've already had to reboot twice in a month. Of course I have many IoT devices connected to it. If you have less than 5 devices maybe you won't face any problem.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You get full speeds? I open torrent on my normal client, cannot connect, 0kbps. Connect VPN, full speed.

Please enlighten how that can happen if its not Singtel blocking? What possible setting is there on the client to change such that VPN full speed and Singtel 0kpbs?

Possibly they've changed the throttling behaviour for new customers or new accounts.

ONR I've already had to reboot twice in a month. Of course I have many IoT devices connected to it. If you have less than 5 devices maybe you won't face any problem.

Singtel is known to throttle certain traffic like Bit Torrent, no matter for existing ONT users or ONR users. Take note I actually support this policy -- that is just my personal opinion though.

And Singtel ONR is not so good -- it has limited features and limited HW specifications. So I will not be surprised that you need to reboot if you have many IoT devices.

I do not recommend Singtel to new users due to the ONR.
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/threads/singapore-isp-comparisons.6665380/
My personal recommendation for new subscribers and general use cases (no Starhub TV+ or Singtel TV services):

M1>= Starhub
> MyRepublic (take note of the CGNAT thingy)
> Singtel (not recommended because of ONR)
> Whizzcomms (not recommended due to the fact that is get depriotized by Singtel when incidents happen)
> Viewquest (not recommended as it is unstable)

mackenic

Reaction score
Hi,
I recently signed up for the Singtel 1GB Fibre plan and i just received my Airties 4960R router.
I'm still on ONT. From what i read in the past posts, it seems like i cannot use the 4960R if i wish to continue using MIO TV.
I'm currently using a AC1900 router. May i know if i get the linksys E9450, would i be able to then use it together with this 4960R as a AP?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I recently signed up for the Singtel 1GB Fibre plan and i just received my Airties 4960R router.
I'm still on ONT. From what i read in the past posts, it seems like i cannot use the 4960R if i wish to continue using MIO TV.
I'm currently using a AC1900 router. May i know if i get the linksys E9450, would i be able to then use it together with this 4960R as a AP?

Hmm, Airties 4960R should support SingTel TV box for ONT users. Where do you get the info that it does not work?

mackenic

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. Sorry if i wasn't clear about what i wish to achieve.

I do not want to use the 4960R as my primary router as it only has 1 lan port. I need at least 4 to connect to 3 other APs around the house. Hence, that is why i am thinking of getting the e9450 to use as the main router and then use the 4960 as a AP.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. Sorry if i wasn't clear about what i wish to achieve.

I do not want to use the 4960R as my primary router as it only has 1 lan port. I need at least 4 to connect to 3 other APs around the house. Hence, that is why i am thinking of getting the e9450 to use as the main router and then use the 4960 as a AP.

I see. Yes it is good to have the Linksys E9450 as the main router compared to the Airties 4960R.

As for 4960R in AP mode, it is not clear to me whether it supports AP mode or not. I tend to believe it should work as an AP when connected to the E9450, like other Singtel issued router (Singtel Mesh Router, Singtel AC Elite, Singtel AC Plus) but I may be wrong. Please consult Singtel to confirm.

ra[g]e

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Singtel is known to throttle certain traffic like Bit Torrent, no matter for existing ONT users or ONR users. Take note I actually support this policy -- that is just my personal opinion though.

And Singtel ONR is not so good -- it has limited features and limited HW specifications. So I will not be surprised that you need to reboot if you have many IoT devices.

I do not recommend Singtel to new users due to the ONR.
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/threads/singapore-isp-comparisons.6665380/
My personal recommendation for new subscribers and general use cases (no Starhub TV+ or Singtel TV services):

M1>= Starhub
> MyRepublic (take note of the CGNAT thingy)
> Singtel (not recommended because of ONR)
> Whizzcomms (not recommended due to the fact that is get depriotized by Singtel when incidents happen)
> Viewquest (not recommended as it is unstable)
Your detailed comparison thread should be stickied.

I didn't update myself on the latest issues with Singtel and still thought they had the best overseas connections and they were previously using ONT. ONR is truly a dealbreaker if you have a good router that you would like to use it instead. Currently forced to run my Amplifi Alien in bridge mode and its quite ridiculous.

Oh and its not that they can't bridge mode your ONR, you need to sign up for their "gamer" plan, about 50% more in cost for marginal latency benefits.

Previously was on M1/Starhub lol... never expected Starhub to have top spot in 2023. VQ is utterly disappointing, they could have been so much better but I suppose they need to be profitable and the niche power users don't make them money.

mackenic

Reaction score
I asked Singtel on whatsapp (not Shirley) and they said that with ONT, it is possible to use the linksys router and further connect the 4960R as a AP.

Thanks for your help!

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I asked Singtel on whatsapp (not Shirley) and they said that with ONT, it is possible to use the linksys router and further connect the 4960R as a AP.

Thanks for your help!

Thanks a lot for reporting back. Now it is clear to me that Airties 4960R can function as an AP when connected to another router.

knave

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Is this ping time normal?
SingTel ONR, 1gbps
AP = TPLink Archer X50

Already restarted ONR and AP.

Ping to my AP is fine, but ping to external will drop ping as shown below.
My SingTel contract is due in March and contemplating a switch to M1.

GRwNqw3.png

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.