Singtel Fibre Down?

TanKianW

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
With the respective ISPs all taking turns to be down, it starts to make more sense for a multi-WAN setup during this WFH period.

TanKianW

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The telco said its engineers are still investigating the cause of the issue, which affected customers in the central and eastern parts of Singapore.

This included Tampines, Pasir Ris, Sengkang, Punggol, Bedok, Kallang, Mountbatten and Tiong Bahru, according to comments on Singtel's Facebook posts.

I am at Serangoon area. Also affected.

IPTV and digital phone still working during the internet downtime.

gilcrest

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
With the respective ISPs all taking turns to be down, it starts to make more sense for a multi-WAN setup during this WFH period.
Must be infrastructure hitting its limits. East side I am facing a WAN IP change almost every 4 days for a few months. Very disrupting.

But for home users, how many would have multi WAN just for redundency?

firesong

Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Must be infrastructure hitting its limits. East side I am facing a WAN IP change almost every 4 days for a few months. Very disrupting.

I guess it boils down to need. If you need it, you'll get it.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Interesting. That seems to indicate IPv4 address related thingy. Miloaisdino has similar reports as you. Previously his IPv4 address was stable but then started to change often.

I am living in Jurong West Area and I have got my IPv4 address stable for many months. In fact it never really change as long as I do not swap my router. I am using ONT. I run Pi-hole on the cloud and I will monitor my public IP from time to time as I need to set up the firewall rules correctly for Google Cloud.

miloaisdino

Reaction score
Interesting. That seems to indicate IPv4 address related thingy. Miloaisdino has similar reports as you. Previously his IPv4 address was stable but then started to change often.

I am living in Jurong West Area and I have got my IPv4 address stable for many months. In fact it never really change as long as I do not swap my router. I am using ONT. I run Pi-hole on the cloud and I will monitor my public IP from time to time as I need to set up the firewall rules correctly for Google Cloud.
i think this could be due to the perception among the general public that singtel is more stable than m1 broadband.. leading many to sign up with singtel instead of m1 when more are getting fibre broadband due to wfh or hbl, causing singtel overcapacity?

firesong

Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
i think this could be due to the perception among the general public that singtel is more stable than m1 broadband.. leading many to sign up with singtel instead of m1 when more are getting fibre broadband due to wfh or hbl, causing singtel overcapacity?
I've realised the perception comes from bad routing policies to compensate, so there is less chance of a perceived downtime. Just throwing packets all over is sufficient to ensure it doesn't bottleneck, even if it leads to horrible pings and inefficient routes at the expense of the customer.

This time though, it really came to haunt them since they couldn't paper over the cracks before it all collapsed.

Still, it affected my parents enough for my sis to agree to switch out after the contract - she was still holding out because it's convenient to have everything in one bill. But with complaining parents about downtime for internet, and it going down during a video call, it's enough to cast doubts on Singtel's service.

bert64

Reaction score
I've realised the perception comes from bad routing policies to compensate, so there is less chance of a perceived downtime. Just throwing packets all over is sufficient to ensure it doesn't bottleneck, even if it leads to horrible pings and inefficient routes at the expense of the customer.

This time though, it really came to haunt them since they couldn't paper over the cracks before it all collapsed.

Still, it affected my parents enough for my sis to agree to switch out after the contract - she was still holding out because it's convenient to have everything in one bill. But with complaining parents about downtime for internet, and it going down during a video call, it's enough to cast doubts on Singtel's service.
Inefficient routing would not cause a service to appear more stable. You can have an efficient default route, and fail over to a less efficient one in the event of a problem. Some users may notice degraded performance during whatever problem was occurring but many wouldn't, and degraded performance is better than an outage.

On the other hand, sending more traffic abroad unnecessarily instead of using local peering would limit capacity, and actually increase the likelihood of outages. The packet loss you've been seeing lately is likely caused at least in part by the inefficient peering policies.

TanKianW

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

With the (affordable) fiber price plans and demand for always-on internet during this WFH period, I actually noticed more and more home users having more than 1 ISP at home. In fact, more home users want to have multi-WAN now for new set-up.

But most of them still rely on the network equipment provided by their ISPs and have not unlock the potential of a more seamless multi-WAN network to suit their needs.

Last edited:

Qubicfactor

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I had multi wan for almost a decade liao. Have seen both of my isps go down at one point or another but luckily haven't seen both go down simultaneously. Just remember that if both are on fibre it's still subject to disruption by cable cuts by some contractor doing piling or digging.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am counting on my luck with SingTel Fibre Internet for home use and so far it is good. I am not affected this time. And I will stick to Singtel mobile as well since it is simply the best in terms of mobile services in all major aspects like coverage and stability (I would not say SingTel Fibre internet is the best).

But internet is really critical so it makes sense to go with dual ISPs if it is really so critical for you.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
From Singtel Facebook
++++++
We regret to inform that our website and some of our apps such as My Singtel App, GOMO app, CAST and Singtel TV GO are not available at the moment. Please bear with us while our IT engineers work on getting the issue resolved. Our core services are not affected. Mobile, fibre broadband, TV and fixed line services are running as per normal.

We apologise for the inconvenience caused and thank you for your patience.

dethangel

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand Sngtel is down again.

singtel.com not resolvable.

First Ah Keong forgot to close server room door - 5.25am outage.

Now Ah Keong forgot to pay domain renewal?

Last edited:

firesong

Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Yep their own domain services went down for almost 4h.

Singtel DNS Down.png

TanKianW

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand Sngtel is down again.

singtel.com not resolvable.

First Ah Keong forgot to close server room door - 5.25am outage.

Now Ah Keong forgot to pay domain renewal?

Ah Keong is tired and burnt out. He recently always has late dinner/supper.

He is constantly pressurized by his top boss on a daily basis, and told the infrastructure he managing will be used to "unlocking value". :ROFLMAO:

dethangel

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If that's weird... should see the mess currently they're causing to my company users on VPN.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.