[Sinkie with Jp wife/gf community club]

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Need to be bilingual to do well..

If you know Chinese on top of Japanese and English, you will literally fly

What is well by definition? EDMW well of 10-20k a mth?
Translator paid so well meh?

I know so many ppl knowing all 3 with MBA and masters in engineering. They not flying.

Last edited:

darkmatt

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What is well by definition? EDMW well of 10-20k a mth?
Translator paid so well meh?

I know so many ppl knowing all 3 with MBA and masters in engineering. They not flying.

not translator la..

I know a friend who knows all 3.

in big 4 doing accounting, almost 10k sgd/month

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
not translator la..

I know a friend who knows all 3.

in big 4 doing accounting, almost 10k sgd/month

Accounting sure, these days sg don’t need to know more than. 2 languages also more than 10k. Lol

alvinaloy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Actually 10k/mth not really a lot now... Hehe. Well, if you join FSI, 5 - 10 years experience can earn that much liao.

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Aiyoh EDMW all talking 20k is cake.
More impt is do you make so much not others making so much.
They make so much also not sharing lol

koxinga

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Well, it is EDMW. Either you are BBFA 2k a month or duapaoxian at 20k per month. :s13:

koxinga

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I don't suppose anyone here stays in sengkang central? Realised there is another Japanese family staying in on my same floor.

alvinaloy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I don't suppose anyone here stays in sengkang central? Realised there is another Japanese family staying in on my same floor.
Nope. I stay Little India. My conversation with wife then on the decision to buy here was sort of like this:

Wife: There's HDB in Little India available. Let's buy there!
Me: I'm OK but are you OK? They... well... might... well.. smell...
W: WTF. You think you Chinese smell so good meh? You guys also smell to Japanese because you guys keep eating onion and garlic and other strong smelling food in almost every meal!
M: ?!?! Er... OK, let's buy there then.

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Nope. I stay Little India. My conversation with wife then on the decision to buy here was sort of like this:

W: WTF. You think you Chinese smell so good meh? You guys also smell to Japanese because you guys keep eating onion and garlic and other strong smelling food in almost every meal!

Why Little India? I thought they like to stay nearby other JP families?

Btw, please translate WTF in Japanese. :s13:

mecafe

Reaction score
What's your future plan like? Staying here for good or maybe move to Japan...

koxinga

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Expats maybe because they won't be here for long term and have little incentive to "localize". So staying in the own little bubble make sense.

luishoon

Reaction score

just give your wife some durians. lol.
my wife immediately ran away previously

koxinga

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My wife eats durian though. And smelly tofu. :s13:

Recently, she has been asking me to cook Chinese-Japanese (chinjao rosu, ebi chilli) food. I told her, I can cook authentic Chinese food, but u want fake Chinese food?

luishoon

Reaction score
My wife eats durian though. And smelly tofu. :s13:

Recently, she has been asking me to cook Chinese-Japanese (chinjao rosu, ebi chilli) food. I told her, I can cook authentic Chinese food, but u want fake Chinese food?

thats amazing!! mine runs. haha. she says in her 30years alive, never smell before so stinky stuff. lol lol.

she likes ba chor mee and hokkien mee though. haha.
I cant really cook, so I just leave the cooking to her. lol.
met her when I was 30, she was 28. ever since my food etc all prepared by her except for the occasional da bao.

Last edited:

alvinaloy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What's your future plan like? Staying here for good or maybe move to Japan...

Probably staying. We're agreed long ago that Japan is a nice place to vist, but not really a nice place to stay.

Expats maybe because they won't be here for long term and have little incentive to "localize". So staying in the own little bubble make sense.

Spot on!

just give your wife some durians. lol.
my wife immediately ran away previously

It took my wife 10 years before she allowed durians in the house, and 20 years before she started to appreciate the taste (just happened in the last couple of months).

I can't cook too. Wife likes cooking and does so on occasionally. She likes SG's eating out culture though finds the food rather unhealthy.

alvinaloy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Btw, please translate WTF in Japanese. :s13:

Actually, Japanese people who like to assimilate into local culture tend to be soloists. They don't cluster together like Chinese. There's always Chinatown in every country but no Japantown nor Little Japan.

As for WTF, "Nandeyanen" comes to mine. It's Osakan dialect. So bound to net you instant Osakan friends when you use it to them. You can Google for it; tons of examples online. Lol

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Most jap leaving find jap is a nice place to visit.
Edu system my thoughts are Singapore is still better
Eating outside jap has more healthier options but those working late end up with unhealthy options like my relative makan ramen

My spouse talks about returning when we retire but plans change daily lol

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Actually, Japanese people who like to assimilate into local culture tend to be soloists. They don't cluster together like Chinese. There's always Chinatown in every country but no Japantown nor Little Japan.

As for WTF, "Nandeyanen" comes to mine. It's Osakan dialect. So bound to net you instant Osakan friends when you use it to them. You can Google for it; tons of examples online. Lol

Yes in a way, I prefer Kansai culture. Tokyo a bit too uptight and tatemae. Even Hokkaido is quite easy-going also.

Most jap leaving find jap is a nice place to visit.
Edu system my thoughts are Singapore is still better
Eating outside jap has more healthier options but those working late end up with unhealthy options like my relative makan ramen

My spouse talks about returning when we retire but plans change daily lol

Perhaps the best scenario is to retire in both places. Quite a blessing to enjoy the rich nature there and stay healthy while doing it.

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes in a way, I prefer Kansai culture. Tokyo a bit too uptight and tatemae. Even Hokkaido is quite easy-going also.

Perhaps the best scenario is to retire in both places. Quite a blessing to enjoy the rich nature there and stay healthy while doing it.

Kansai culture is what? Osaka and Kyoto very diff loh
U lived in so many place in japan to know so well. Apartment living and living in a house experience can be very different

I can enjoy rich nature here in USA, no need to go Japan for it. It’s like retire in 3 place loh

alvinaloy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Kansai culture is what? Osaka and Kyoto very diff loh

Many articles online about it. I thought this one is pretty good:
https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/discover-japan-kansai-vs-kanto/index.html

Tokyo people tend to avoid confrontation. Say if you ask a Tokyo girl out and she doesn't like you, she won't say she dislike you. She'll just keep making excuses not to go, "I got an appointment already", "I'm not feeling well", "I have an errand to run", etc. So it might keep you hanging on...

Whereas Osaka people are super direct but try to make it fun. If you ask a Osakan girl out and she doesn't like you, she'll say she don't like you, she dislikes balding, smelly men, etc.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.