So-net (Sony's internet subsidiary) launches new data sim plan!

kifo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Now you can buy your internet data sim card at major airport and train stations on touching down! In KIX, they even have a vending machine selling their phone card!

So-net (a subsidiary of Sony) is offering a new data sim card aimed at travellers:

Plan 100MB 3,000JPY valid for 30 days
Plan 500MB 5,000JPY valid for 60 days

Both plans can be topped up
charge 200MB 1,500JPY(+tax) valid for 30 days
charge 500MB 2,000JPY(+tax) valid for 30 days
charge 1000MB 2,838JPY(+tax) valid for 60 days
topping up your card requires a credit card

So-net uses NTT Docomo network.

The card must be activated within 14 days from purchase. And if you need to refill the card value, it must be done within 14 days after you use up all the remaining data as well.

For So-net other mobile LTE plans, there is a restriction on not exceeding 500MB over 3 days. I suspect it is the same for these 2 plans as well although it is not stated.

Read up more information about the data sim plan from So-net here:
Prepaid LTE SIM | So-net

P.S. apparently this plan was launched back in April but it flew under my radar...

kifo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The funny thing is that if you go to Amazon.co.jp to buy the same prepaid So-net LTE data sim card, it is 3,200JPY for 1GB??!!
Amazon.co.jp

So if you want to get this So-net data sim card, I would suggest that you just buy from the Amazon JP store and send it to your hotel. Reviews on Amazon seems to indicate it is difficult to activate the card as you need to find some way to get on the internet first.

kifo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Well it is quite competitive with the bmobile and OCN plan if you buy it through Amazon JP.

akc850

Reaction score
There will be some revision in the plan after 30 Oct this year, mainly:

Standard Plans

1G Plan (formally known as "Plan 100M")
Use up to 1 GB of data.

2.2G Plan
Use up to 2.2 GB of data.

3G Plan (formally known as "Plan 500M")
Use up to 3 GB of data.

Just not sure whether they will still have the same pricing though

Last edited:

jep

Reaction score
No need to return the card. You can take it home and keep it as souvenir or simply recycle it :s13:

For 1G, only 3000yen is actually cheaper than b-mobile and e-connect. That is if all taxes are already included inside this 3000yen.

Anyone used b4? Can give comment? If not I shall try this next yr when I go to Tokyo.

Last edited:

jep

Reaction score
Wait, I read the FAQ. It seems like need to return the sim card as its on loan.

akc850

Reaction score
Wait, I read the FAQ. It seems like need to return the sim card as its on loan.

Actually, there is also a similar clause for bmobile but I have yet to return any for my past 2 trips.

Does that constitute a violation of the usage? :s22: :s13:

jep

Reaction score
Actually, there is also a similar clause for bmobile but I have yet to return any for my past 2 trips.

Does that constitute a violation of the usage? :s22: :s13:

I read the FAQ for bmobile. They appreciate it if we can return but NOT A MUST to do so. But for So-net is different. It is a MUST to return.

Guess if I find it a bothersome to return sim card, I can take either econnect or bmobile.

Last edited:

sturm100

Reaction score
Am now at Haneda airport looking for So-net sim, mobile center only have the 1GB n 3GB plan and it's expensive, 4500 and 6500

jep

Reaction score
Am now at Haneda airport looking for So-net sim, mobile center only have the 1GB n 3GB plan and it's expensive, 4500 and 6500

So expensive :eek: I tot it will be less than 4000yen.

Thanks for the info.

cpuer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Good deal. Looks like no need to search any further liao. you need to inform the hotel about the coming parcel under your name? Need to give the hotel an email to alert them? For my case I wil be leaving the parcel there for close to one month!

Errz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Flash sale is on until 10pm.
2GB so-net amazon prepaid lte sim at 2200yen.

can this be used on a mobile wifi like Huawei E5786? went bali recently and the SIM card can only use on the phone.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.