Solar Film - Home Windows

cstanhwz

Master Member
Reaction score
I pasted some samples side by side on my window. Then I measured window temp using infrared thermometer several times. Area without film is 39.2C, with films is 44.1 - 45.7C. Any idea why the films are hotter than the window?

*scratch head*
The film absorb the heat so that it does not enters to your room. Keeping your room cooler.

SandMan

Reaction score
The film absorb the heat so that it does not enters to your room. Keeping your room cooler.
Thanks for replying. Your reasoning does tally with the fact that the most expensive sample is the hottest. But... doesnt the hot film then conduct the absorbed heat into the room via air conduction/circulation? I hope to understand more so I can evaluate the 4 sample films correctly (and also avoid being scammed by seller).

cstanhwz

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks for replying. Your reasoning does tally with the fact that the most expensive sample is the hottest. But... doesnt the hot film then conduct the absorbed heat into the room via air conduction/circulation? I hope to understand more so I can evaluate the 4 sample films correctly (and also avoid being scammed by seller).
Heat conducted into the room via "air conduction/circulation" vs heat directing into your room.

See which one creates more heat in the room.

SandMan

Reaction score
I see ok. Looks like the films are legit and I should measure temp of an object behind each film, and not measure the film itself.

Pacco_Zonling

Reaction score
I pasted some samples side by side on my window. Then I measured window temp using infrared thermometer several times. Area without film is 39.2C, with films is 44.1 - 45.7C. Any idea why the films are hotter than the window?

*scratch head*

Hi there! This is something i thought could be a reason, just my 2 cents of opinion,

The films that you used are films that absorbed alot of heat, so when compared to just glass windows, the window with film will be hotter.

Heat is a form of energy, so it can either be absorbed, reflected or transmitted through.

In this case for your windows with no film, it absorbed abit of heat (glass itself absorbs heat) but allowed most of the heat to transmit through.

For the window with film, it absorbed more heat into it (both glass and film absorbs heat), but allowed lesser heat to transmit through.

The infrared thermometer you are using is measuring the temperature at the glass area / on the glass, thus you will see higher temperatures for the window with film.

To truly test the effect of the films, you should be testing the ambient or room temperature of the room, and not the window temperature. For this, you need 2 side by side rooms (1 with film, 1 without) to truly test the effects.

One thing to note is, most films technology in blocking heat is through absorption, so heat will not pass through the glass, and just get trapped in the film/glass. However over time, as the heat builds up in the glass and film, the heat will slowly dissipate into the room as secondary radiation.

If you want better heat rejection films, you can consider sputtered films with silver that can reflect heat, thus the performance will be stable and consistent. A true high performing sputtered films are ones that can truly reflect heat WHILE maintaining clarity (not mirror like effect). There are types that are sputtered films but are highly reflective like a mirror, and most still just absorbs heat.

Hope this is useful! :giggle:

SandMan

Reaction score
Yes very helpful. Thank you very much Pacco for detailed explanation.
Seller does publish specs, but I thought to check real-world effectiveness myself.

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
INterested as well. So far only know of 3M prestige but not much of the competition.

WHLN17

Reaction score
I have installed mine last week. So far still have some bubbles but I understand that the film needs about 3-4 weeks to cure. I knew for a fact it has block out almost all the UV and IR, because my transitional spectacle did not transit to dark mode when placed behind the window that installed with the film. When it was placed behind one without film, the spectacle glasses turn dark. I also feel it is much cooler now. With the increasingly hot weather, I am happy to have the solar film installed.

liquidlight

Master Member
Reaction score
I have installed mine last week. So far still have some bubbles but I understand that the film needs about 3-4 weeks to cure. I knew for a fact it has block out almost all the UV and IR, because my transitional spectacle did not transit to dark mode when placed behind the window that installed with the film. When it was placed behind one without film, the spectacle glasses turn dark. I also feel it is much cooler now. With the increasingly hot weather, I am happy to have the solar film installed.
Hi there! This is something i thought could be a reason, just my 2 cents of opinion,

The films that you used are films that absorbed alot of heat, so when compared to just glass windows, the window with film will be hotter.

Heat is a form of energy, so it can either be absorbed, reflected or transmitted through.

In this case for your windows with no film, it absorbed abit of heat (glass itself absorbs heat) but allowed most of the heat to transmit through.

For the window with film, it absorbed more heat into it (both glass and film absorbs heat), but allowed lesser heat to transmit through.

The infrared thermometer you are using is measuring the temperature at the glass area / on the glass, thus you will see higher temperatures for the window with film.

To truly test the effect of the films, you should be testing the ambient or room temperature of the room, and not the window temperature. For this, you need 2 side by side rooms (1 with film, 1 without) to truly test the effects.

One thing to note is, most films technology in blocking heat is through absorption, so heat will not pass through the glass, and just get trapped in the film/glass. However over time, as the heat builds up in the glass and film, the heat will slowly dissipate into the room as secondary radiation.

If you want better heat rejection films, you can consider sputtered films with silver that can reflect heat, thus the performance will be stable and consistent. A true high performing sputtered films are ones that can truly reflect heat WHILE maintaining clarity (not mirror like effect). There are types that are sputtered films but are highly reflective like a mirror, and most still just absorbs heat.

Hope this is useful! :giggle:
could pm me for more info?

Pacco_Zonling

Reaction score
Yes there are many brands in the business and many types of films available, thus it also comes from many different countries such as US, Korea, China etc.

To differentiate the quality and performance of the films, rather than just looking at the country of origin, do put it to the test and check that it is verified and certified. Most films do not state their true/full specifications, so do ask for an independent lab test report to ensure its quality.

Rather than taking the specs as it is, ask further and ask how to test its performance. A qualified window film company will show and compare the various types of film and explain further.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes, good quality window films use quality in production, technology and materials. Having a well-established brand does help provide extra confidence in reliability.

Whatever you decide, it is best to take a look at the window film in person to make a decision. Most companies offer free site visits.

Windowlover

Reaction score
Such window film 3M Prestige Series, it is suitable for HDB as require some privay as well.. how much roughly for HDB 4 room flat include room and kitchen ?

Niteguyz83

Reaction score
Yes there are many brands in the business and many types of films available, thus it also comes from many different countries such as US, Korea, China etc.

To differentiate the quality and performance of the films, rather than just looking at the country of origin, do put it to the test and check that it is verified and certified. Most films do not state their true/full specifications, so do ask for an independent lab test report to ensure its quality.

Rather than taking the specs as it is, ask further and ask how to test its performance. A qualified window film company will show and compare the various types of film and explain further.
Hi Pacco, please PM me your films and pricing, thanks

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.