Some considerations for selecting the right WiFi device for your wireless network

NeoNeo71

Reaction score
Hi ppls, i am currently on Starhub MaxOnline Premium whereby the stats are as follows

Download speed: Up to 50 Mbps
Upload Speed: Up to 2 Mbps
International Bandwidth: Up to 18 Mbps

and i using a SB5101/E DOCSIS 2.0 SURFboard Cable Modem.

am i using the correct modem? and any wireless router to recommend to go with it? is this EnGenius ESR9850 good?
Wat is the damage for tis? I keep getting kick out frm my internet despite bills paid on time

mikewang

Reaction score
I think the homeplug can be more stable than the wireless repeater. also the performance is better. if you need faster speed, then just choose Gigabit Homeplug is OK.

eugene8018

Reaction score
Hi all,can i use home plug to improve my wifi connection?I'm on MR gamer plan but my router n modem in the living room.Problem is i always use in my room.Can anyone advise, should do trunking or home plug.

LightBuzz

Reaction score
hi

i am using starhub maxonline service
currently using a wireless router for my lap top and 2 IPAD.
however, i notice 1 of the IPAD network (wifi) are not stable,
some time, they will say cannot find network even through wifi sign are on the IPAD , when i tried to watch the same movie from PPstream for the 2 IPAD at the same time, the same IPAD will alway say cannot find network even through the other are able to watch,

could this be my router or modem problem?

xseanyx

Reaction score
totally noob to setting up wireless network at home, am using starhub 25mbps cable home broadband, can anyone recommend a router to buy as i'm running on lan currently. Dont mind paying as long as i'm getting the correct quality stuff ...

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
totally noob to setting up wireless network at home, am using starhub 25mbps cable home broadband, can anyone recommend a router to buy as i'm running on lan currently. Dont mind paying as long as i'm getting the correct quality stuff ...

May be should go for fibre broadband as isp (eg. MyRepublic) will provide the free router for u.

iantao99

Reaction score
Was told be ST CSO Aztech 7000 rounter with max 300mbs wireless speed will only produce abt 70mbs speed for 150mbs fibre.

Will changing router to higher max data transfer speed say 450mbps (eg. asus 66N or ac) help improve actual wireless speed?

Last edited:

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Was told be ST CSO Aztech 7000 rounter with max 300mbs wireless speed will only produce abt 70mbs speed for 150mbs fibre.

Will changing router to higher max data transfer speed say 450mbps (eg. asus 66N or ac) help improve actual wireless speed?

Never know that ST allow user to use other router. ST is using PACE Router.

phayze

Master Member
Reaction score
I am able to get around 40MB/s or 300mbps for AC.

wishxtreme

Reaction score
Advise to set my AC86U

I am staying on a 2 storey apartment and going to switch to fibre after opennet has install in my condo.

Currently the router is in my room and connected to my PC. However, when the opennet guys come, most likely my router will be downstairs near the TV console.

Any best way to have the best connection? I have an existing TP Link N600 router too.

If not there are no better ways, i might to the trunking all the way to my room which i don't know opennet will do it or need contractor as they need to open the consealed trunking in the false ceiling or wall.

Any advise?

bigfoot

Master Member
Reaction score
Please use Powerplug network. You will never regret it. BTW, I am staying at the 17th level. When I wait for my son to return home every afternoon at the ground level, I was still able to receive the wifi signal from the TP-Link Homeplug (with wifi). Truly amazing...

dodomarket

Reaction score
Aruba APs seem rather good too, I have one in my office....No problems so far....Used to own Ruckus, but everyone once in a while need to reboot AP.

jiaweiii

Reaction score
I planning get a USB WiFi card any recommendations Internet speed is 200mbps

slowcoach

Reaction score
I am staying on a 2 storey apartment and going to switch to fibre after opennet has install in my condo.

Currently the router is in my room and connected to my PC. However, when the opennet guys come, most likely my router will be downstairs near the TV console.

Any best way to have the best connection? I have an existing TP Link N600 router too.

If not there are no better ways, i might to the trunking all the way to my room which i don't know opennet will do it or need contractor as they need to open the consealed trunking in the false ceiling or wall.

Any advise?

Im no tech expert but i used a powerline adaptor so plugged into the mains and it worked coming out the other side. The technician that installed the fiber advised this and i was not very sure about it bought it anyway. Very pleased with the speed even if it has cut my 1gbps to 600mbps becos i couldnt find a faster adaptor. Its still fast..

BradLee

Reaction score
I'm not so sure if anyone ask this qn b4.
I stay in a 4room HDB.
My fibre termination pt is in the living room tv console.
I just recontract my broadband switch from cable to fibre.
Therefore my wireless router will have to put above tv console.

My flat layout is the new flat type where there is a corridor leading to the master room, therefore this wireless signal needs to go thru 3 layers of walls b4 hitting my master room.

I wonder if any of u with the same situation manage to use a better router, extender or like those powerplug to be able to extend the signal into the master room.

I went to comex yesterday and saw got those wireless router with very long anntenna wonder if this helps, what would be the best and cheapest solution? Thanks in advance.

PS as currently i am using cable the router is put in my master room so no issue.

Last edited:

Moniker

Reaction score
I'm not so sure if anyone ask this qn b4.
I stay in a 4room HDB.
My fibre termination pt is in the living room tv console.
I just recontract my broadband switch from cable to fibre.
Therefore my wireless router will have to put above tv console.

My flat layout is the new flat type where there is a corridor leading to the master room, therefore this wireless signal needs to go thru 3 layers of walls b4 hitting my master room.

I wonder if any of u with the same situation manage to use a better router, extender or like those powerplug to be able to extend the signal into the master room.

I went to comex yesterday and saw got those wireless router with very long anntenna wonder if this helps, what would be the best and cheapest solution? Thanks in advance.

PS as currently i am using cable the router is put in my master room so no issue.

Same situation with me here bro, except mine even larger because 5-room :)

Would love to hear recommendations on here. Also, what brand and spec of USB wifi to use for desktop

coolperson

Reaction score
Would like your suggestions gurus, Am currently having my opennet TP in the corner of my 5rm living room but main usage would me in the master bedroom and common room. I know old fashion method is to just lay cat5/cat6 cables to my pc in my room but am thinking of trying out powerplugs. Any suggestion what would be best for me ? :s11:

AshSim

Master Member
Reaction score
Personal opinion... now you can look at D-link and Asus for networking products but D-link has more comprehensive range of products though. :)

QUOTE=wirelessdan2002;5554248]1. brand, and of course price – depending on how deep is your pocket: there are the branded and upmarket (Cisco, 3Com, Proxim, Orinoco etc.), the good value, tried and tested (Linksys, Dlink, SMC etc.), the cheap and unexplored (Enzer, Mercury, Fulbond etc.)

2. overall quality – packaging, finishing, reliability etc.

3. supports –driver/utility software/firmware, user friendliness, ie. ease of installation/configuration, security features, customer supports.

4. forms, fits and functions – to meet networking requirements, usage profiles and system configurations.

5. hearsay – just post here in the forum, ask the forum’s opinion on brand xxx model yyy, and start to count the votes.

6. lastly, but in my opinion, the most importantly, the wireless link performance in meeting the needs of the networking environment.

Will discuss in the following postings about wireless link performance considerations, including free space radio wave propagation calculation for range/path loss, effects of building structure to indoor WiFi (IEEE 802.11B) link performance, eg. reduction of signal strength by walls, floors, doors, windows etc.[/QUOTE]

slientbomb84

Reaction score
For me. if got money, I will lay data point in all the room, kitchen and living room. all link to the switch. then switch to the router. Then go get Access point and connect to the data point. no need to worried so much which part of the house no wireless. hehe..

sm0k3rz

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I recently got SingTel 1 Gbps FibreBroad Band.

Ran a speed test at different times of the day but max download/ upload speed im getting is 100/110 mbps.

I live in a 1 bedroom small apartment. plus I was connected via lan cable when i ran the speeed tests and not wifi.

router is the default one the ST gives out starts with an A.

Help pls!

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.