Some considerations for selecting the right WiFi device for your wireless network

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I recently got SingTel 1 Gbps FibreBroad Band.

Ran a speed test at different times of the day but max download/ upload speed im getting is 100/110 mbps.

I live in a 1 bedroom small apartment. plus I was connected via lan cable when i ran the speeed tests and not wifi.

router is the default one the ST gives out starts with an A.

Help pls!

make sure the LAN driver of your computer is updated and supports gigabit ethernet.

what cat is the LAN cable being used?

sm0k3rz

Reaction score
Hi,

I have mid-2010 macbook pro. I just checked the specifications and its giving me the below details ..

Gigabit Ethernet port
One FireWire 800 port (up to 800 Mbps)
AirPort Extreme Wi-Fi wireless networking2 (based on IEEE 802.11n specification); IEEE 802.11a/b/g compatible
Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR (Enhanced Data Rate) wireless technology
10/100/1000BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet (RJ-45 connector)

answer to your question. i think is a CAT5 cable.. sorry for sounding silly how can i tell which one i got? :/

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have mid-2010 macbook pro. I just checked the specifications and its giving me the below details ..

Gigabit Ethernet port
One FireWire 800 port (up to 800 Mbps)
AirPort Extreme Wi-Fi wireless networking2 (based on IEEE 802.11n specification); IEEE 802.11a/b/g compatible
Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR (Enhanced Data Rate) wireless technology
10/100/1000BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet (RJ-45 connector)

answer to your question. i think is a CAT5 cable.. sorry for sounding silly how can i tell which one i got? :/

you need at least a cat 5e cable and above in order to reach gigabit standard. cat 5 will likely to give 90+ ish download and upload, but ig guess ur cable is of good quality hence u are maxed out at 100 download and 110 upload..

sm0k3rz

Reaction score
you need at least a cat 5e cable and above in order to reach gigabit standard. cat 5 will likely to give 90+ ish download and upload, but ig guess ur cable is of good quality hence u are maxed out at 100 download and 110 upload..

Thank you for your help so I will order a CAT6 cable do you think that will make the speeds any better? Or is a router problem?

I have sinking feeling I am stuck with these speeds :/ so much for a 1gbps connection.

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your help so I will order a CAT6 cable do you think that will make the speeds any better? Or is a router problem?

I have sinking feeling I am stuck with these speeds :/ so much for a 1gbps connection.

assumingly you are sure that you are using a cat 5 cable, then a cat 6 cable might do the onus to bring up to decent speed. i'm using a cat 6 cable now and it will definitely be better than cat 5 based on the specs. But then, if you mistakenly see cat5e as cat5, then probably the situation won't change even if u use cat 6, cos cat5e can support 1gbps.

singtel 1gbps is a reliable service itself, very seldom you will see any unreliable service unless you are using the aztech router given, which happens to be faulty. or else, there is no reason why u get 100+ mbps down and up...

sm0k3rz

Reaction score
assumingly you are sure that you are using a cat 5 cable, then a cat 6 cable might do the onus to bring up to decent speed. i'm using a cat 6 cable now and it will definitely be better than cat 5 based on the specs. But then, if you mistakenly see cat5e as cat5, then probably the situation won't change even if u use cat 6, cos cat5e can support 1gbps.

singtel 1gbps is a reliable service itself, very seldom you will see any unreliable service unless you are using the aztech router given, which happens to be faulty. or else, there is no reason why u get 100+ mbps down and up...

Hi,

Yes i think gave me the aztech router. Should i buy a new one.

Budget is not a prob but i Just wanna be sure my investment won't go to waste and ill get decent speeds.

aztech is bad tho?

swgj86

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Yes i think gave me the aztech router. Should i buy a new one.

Budget is not a prob but i Just wanna be sure my investment won't go to waste and ill get decent speeds.

aztech is bad tho?
i using netgear nighthawk x6.

no issue.

sm0k3rz

Reaction score
i using netgear nighthawk x6.

no issue.

Hi thanks.

So it's safe to say ST provided routers will not give me the speeds? A change of router should do the trick? Will a different router work with ST ? or I would need to call in a tech guy from ST who will help me setup?

Thanks

coolnhappy

Banned
Reaction score
Hi thanks.

So it's safe to say ST provided routers will not give me the speeds? A change of router should do the trick? Will a different router work with ST ? or I would need to call in a tech guy from ST who will help me setup?

Thanks

Don't be too quick to buy another router, make sure you have found out the root of the problem first. Usually ST given router is not too bad and you can achieve quite decent speed. Even if you want to buy another router you don't have to go for too high end ones. The so-called tri-band routers are only good if you have plenty of wifi devices to connect it to, otherwise the lower end ac routers will do fine.

sm0k3rz

Reaction score
Don't be too quick to buy another router, make sure you have found out the root of the problem first. Usually ST given router is not too bad and you can achieve quite decent speed. Even if you want to buy another router you don't have to go for too high end ones. The so-called tri-band routers are only good if you have plenty of wifi devices to connect it to, otherwise the lower end ac routers will do fine.

Thank you for your response.

The only option I am left with is to use a CAT6 LAN cable and see if that makes any difference. Besides that I am clueless as to what to do.

sm0k3rz

Reaction score
Thank you for your response.

The only option I am left with is to use a CAT6 LAN cable and see if that makes any difference. Besides that I am clueless as to what to do.

So it is Aztech FG7009GA Router provided by Aztech. Will purchasing a new router make any difference to the speed?

swgj86

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi thanks.

Thanks
ST-issued routers are good in a sense that the technical helpdesk staff can troubleshoot for you if there are any issues.

if got firmware updates or bugs to be addressed, ST can deliver them quickly. however, pro users here prefer to buy their own routers, which is the whole selling point of 1Gbps Unlimited Fibre - to let customers have a choice to buy their own routers.

for mainstream users, the issued default router is fine.

i dun think the ST technician can install third-party routers for you though. you also need to know how to set it up on your own.

sm0k3rz

Reaction score
ST-issued routers are good in a sense that the technical helpdesk staff can troubleshoot for you if there are any issues.

if got firmware updates or bugs to be addressed, ST can deliver them quickly. however, pro users here prefer to buy their own routers, which is the whole selling point of 1Gbps Unlimited Fibre - to let customers have a choice to buy their own routers.

for mainstream users, the issued default router is fine.

i dun think the ST technician can install third-party routers for you though. you also need to know how to set it up on your own.

Thanks, I would wish to get the most speed out of the 1 gbps plan, that was the whole idea behind getting it. Just scared that investing in a good router will only result in the same speeds :/

also currently i have the Aztech FG7009GA Router provided by ST.

coolnhappy

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks, I would wish to get the most speed out of the 1 gbps plan, that was the whole idea behind getting it. Just scared that investing in a good router will only result in the same speeds :/

also currently i have the Aztech FG7009GA Router provided by ST.

Why don't you try changing to a CAT6 cable first? I am sure the Aztech router can give you a good speed, provided it is working well. If it is not, you can always get ST to replace it.

sm0k3rz

Reaction score
Why don't you try changing to a CAT6 cable first? I am sure the Aztech router can give you a good speed, provided it is working well. If it is not, you can always get ST to replace it.

Hi,

I have ordered a CAT6 cable and will be arriving in the coming week. Will test speeds and post results.

Also when I run a speed test through on my Iphone 6s connected on WIFI. these are the results i'm getting.

Download: 401.53 Mbps
Upload:101.41 MBps
Ping 6ms

one more thing, when the ST guy was over and installing the fibra broadband.. i spoke to him how i know people and they have slow speeds then that are offered. he mentioned something interesting. he said it could be multiple reason for that .. and as per our experience Mac Laptops are recommended as they give the most speed out of your connection.

that was a weird statement to make.. i bet not everyone is using a mac laptop!

Average

Banned
Reaction score
Hi,

I have ordered a CAT6 cable and will be arriving in the coming week. Will test speeds and post results.

Also when I run a speed test through on my Iphone 6s connected on WIFI. these are the results i'm getting.

Ping 6ms

one more thing, when the ST guy was over and installing the fibra broadband.. i spoke to him how i know people and they have slow speeds then that are offered. he mentioned something interesting. he said it could be multiple reason for that .. and as per our experience Mac Laptops are recommended as they give the most speed out of your connection.

The ST technicians are not all experts. I rmb last last year the guy told me wifi can never go faster than 80mbps. Then, i just erm ok.

KingKenny

Reaction score
The ST technicians are not all experts. I rmb last last year the guy told me wifi can never go faster than 80mbps. Then, i just erm ok.

Depends on the modem you are using bah, and also if your wireless card is up to date anot i feel.

AshSim

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Ping 6ms

wired is always better than wireless for sure.... I think your Cat6 cable will help greatly. But for your other wireless devices eg iphone etc... need to check various things eg, whether there's dead zones in your house, router etc... :) do share with us how's the performance after Cat 6 cable...

sob80sup81

Reaction score
Hi,

I hope i'm posting in the right thread as i have not been active for a while.

I am about to recontract my Starhub internet subscription under 1GB fibre broadband package. Although i understand that they do offer a "promotional" price of $120 for DIR-868L router, i'd like to ask for opinion on this matter.

Is it really a good promotional price as i find many ads selling a brand new one for less? And if it is not, is it still a recommended router or are there recommendation of different brand/models i can consider?

In addition to that, i have been using TP-Link powerline extenders with my cable router modem, am i still able to use these adapters after switching to fibre?

Thanks in advance

m3owie

Reaction score
Hi,

I hope i'm posting in the right thread as i have not been active for a while.

I am about to recontract my Starhub internet subscription under 1GB fibre broadband package. Although i understand that they do offer a "promotional" price of $120 for DIR-868L router, i'd like to ask for opinion on this matter.

Is it really a good promotional price as i find many ads selling a brand new one for less? And if it is not, is it still a recommended router or are there recommendation of different brand/models i can consider?

In addition to that, i have been using TP-Link powerline extenders with my cable router modem, am i still able to use these adapters after switching to fibre?

Thanks in advance

If you see outside selling price lower than that promo price, then the promo price is not a good deal. Not sure about dlink but after using asus routers, i think asus is good. Buy one for the price you are comfortable with.

Yup, power line adapters still can be used.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.