Some tips to navigate boards/pcw

kaisoz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for penning your thoughts.
Hope you're joking about the ads being an opt-in feature. :p

The other pointers are sound.

Regarding the point where did the social share options go, I'm more surprised that you can't find it on the forums and our main content site :o ... unless you've blocked some code away.

In the forum, the share options are plentiful and it's on every post -- unlike the old forum, an individual post link doesn't only take you to view that one post, but you can still the full thread, just that it lands and focuses on the post you chose to share. This is valid on desktop and mobile view.
not really joking about opt-in ads, because I am using Brave browser. And users can turn on or off Brave Ads.

:LOL: Bak Jiu Tak Stamp - did not see the share link. Using illuminate dark, somehow didnt see the share option. paiseh.

As for the share options on HWZ main website, how come HWZ website so special I have to turn off Brave Shields just to see it? Cos I have not encountered not being able to see the share buttons on other sites I visit with Brave Shields defaulted on. I go ESPN/Straits Times/Vox/bitcoinmagazine/etc websites all ok. But HWZ must turn off Brave Shields.

Last edited:

articland05

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
not really joking about opt-in ads, because I am using Brave browser. And users can turn on or off Brave Ads.

:LOL: Bak Jiu Tak Stamp - did not see the share link. Using illuminate dark, somehow didnt see the share option. paiseh.

As for the share options on HWZ main website, how come HWZ website so special I have to turn off Brave Shields just to see it? Cos I have not encountered not being able to see the share buttons on other sites I visit with Brave Shields defaulted on. I go ESPN/Straits Times/Vox/bitcoinmagazine/etc websites all ok. But HWZ must turn off Brave Shields.
because turning off Brave Shield is the same as turning off the ad block in Brave and that's how the UI wont screw up. I using Brave have my Shield up but under Settings, Privacy I have turn off ad block just to surf edmw normally.

I doubt I'll do this for long since I'll be spam with ad when go other websites. probably will just pop in edmw once in a while from now. no more pcwing

Dr.Vijay

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
How to see previously viewed threads?

last time use HWZ app got such function....

Not yet, but hopefully we'll have.
The current User CP tracks your replies, threads you've chosen to watch/bookmark and if you've left a reaction. So the latter is an option for you to check on what you've seen/read without actual participation or bookmarking.

For now.

Omnia1

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone knows whether a deluxe membership will get rid of the ads (is this membership still available) ? I don't mind paying a regular subscription like for YouTube to get rid of ads.

I'm using the Samsung browser on a tablet in portrait view (Chrome is similar; doesnt matter whether you are using web app). What really IRRITATES me is that each time I go to a new page on the forum, the items on the page will be moving around for a second or two, as it formats the ads on the page. Very often, I would want to click on a link only to miss it as the whole page shifts because of the appearing ads. WTF!

The whole experience has become a real pain.

gkhchay

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Not yet, but hopefully we'll have.
The current User CP tracks your replies, threads you've chosen to watch/bookmark and if you've left a reaction. So the latter is an option for you to check on what you've seen/read without actual participation or bookmarking.

For now.
I think the move to this new platform is a premature one since some of the much needed features aren’t available.

Management should’ve got the development team to have all the old features made available before migrating to this new platform. Also the UI isn’t half as user friendly as the one on the HWZ app. Newer in this case certainly isn’t better.

Omnia1

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think the move to this new platform is a premature one since some of the much needed features aren’t available.

Management should’ve got the development team to have all the old features made available before migrating to this new platform. Also the UI isn’t half as user friendly as the one on the HWZ app. Newer in this case certainly isn’t better.
You're very kind. I would characterize the move as a disaster from a user perspective.

But then again, perhaps the move meets the revenue objectives of SPH. So in their eyes, it has been a resounding success. Users be damned ...

irregardless

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
appears on all pages, including the thread list. And when the notification goes to zero, when I go to next thread (not supposed to have notification), it will shows up 1 and then quickly goes to zero.
oh i think thats cos need to clear the notifications beyond 1st page. bottom left theres a "show all" then clear from there

GoodBetterBest

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
oh i think thats cos need to clear the notifications beyond 1st page. bottom left theres a "show all" then clear from there
I don't really understand...
seems like a bug. If it's a feature, then better change it cause if I don't have any notification, I see a red 1 and then it disappears, confusing.

irregardless

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I don't really understand...
seems like a bug. If it's a feature, then better change it cause if I don't have any notification, I see a red 1 and then it disappears, confusing.
did you try going to page 2 of your notif and see if any highlighted notif you not cleared yet? if so then i not sure whats the prob

Mistranslated

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For long threads, I will sometimes get landed on page 2 or 3 of thread (instead of page 1) when I click on title. Is this because I had a setting to remember where I left off enabled? How to disable it?

Dr.Vijay

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
For long threads, I will sometimes get landed on page 2 or 3 of thread (instead of page 1) when I click on title. Is this because I had a setting to remember where I left off enabled? How to disable it?

At the moment, it seems to know/track what you've viewed and land you where you've supposedly not seen the new posts.

If you have seen all the posts within the thread, clicking on the title brings you to the first post (or the last post based on your display view settings on VBB).

Fortunately, you can jump to the last page directly without entering the thread.

deodorant

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Eh guys/gals now cannot auto upload photo from phone liao ah. Last time can via app/imgur leh.

Dr.Vijay

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.