Sonos One vs Bose Home Speaker 300

Beefsteak

Master Member
Reaction score
I'm currently deciding between the Sonos One and Bose Home Speaker 300
Just for streaming music and internet radio in my bedroom.

But I'm quite new to smart speakers and this is my first time using one.

My budget is about $300.

Should I also consider Amazon speakers but Alexa is not supported in Singapore.

Appreciate if anyone can give any comments or recommendations.
Thanks.

diglomex

Reaction score
I am getting the loudness and strong bass on my bose soundlink mini for playback in my study room so brand wise ill choose bose
Never had sonos before

XER

Reaction score
Second on that Alexa. You can even voice command it to play the radio station you want and also select songs if you are a spotify premium subscriber.

galliano

Master Member
Reaction score
Been using Bose 5.1 in my living room for the last 5 years. Absolutely no problems. It has no Atmos, but it still serves me well.

I will continue to support BOSE, despite it being pricer. But its really fuss free.

Maybe one day, I might try the new Sonos ARC with the sub. But instinct is telling me that a soundbar can never be as good as a 5.1 system.

magix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For interface (app) I prefer Sonos.

The interface is easy to navigate. When tune in Radio or Spotify. Sonus has in app Trueplay to tune the speaker base on your enviroment.

Trueplay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k6PvyhoelE

Sonos Trueplay is a software feature that allows anyone who owns a Sonos speaker to tune it specifically to the room it is in. In a similar way to how someone might tune a professional hi-fi system, Sonos Trueplay brings this technology in an easy to manage and understand format.

The Trueplay software will analyse all the acoustic factors that might impact a speaker's sound quality, such as room size, layout, decor and speaker placement. It will then adjust how each tweeter and woofer produces sound to make sure the speaker sounds as good as possible wherever it is.

Bose have quite poor track record in smart home speaker Software

- Firmware fixed issue and break other function. My last read up the firmware seems auto push out. U can't reject.

https://community.bose.com/t5/Smart...irmware-Update-May-5th-2020/m-p/298293#M14277

Can see their smart speaker (speaker and Soundbar user) a lot software issue.

- App interface when playing spotify is terrible integrated

Sound wise not bad. But the software issue push me toward sonos.

Last edited:

Pampers

Banned
Reaction score
As per pic :o

98330216_10223168704786338_1274049108591509504_n.jpg

Snoweagle

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I’m using two Bose Soundlink Revolve+ and I agree Bose connect software is buggy. Imagine trying to link both speakers, the software can tell you link lost, sometimes can auto turn off the speaker and at times just unable to link, need a few tries before success.

Otherwise Bose speakers are great.

boobip

Reaction score
This review came late :p

I have the following speakers:
1. Sonos One Gen 2
2. Bose Home Speaker 300
3. JBL Playlist
4. Apple HomePod Mini
5. Harman Kardon Citation One MK1 (Sold off)

To be honest, you won't go wrong with either Sonos One or Bose Home Speaker 300. Both have very sensitive far-field mics that pick up your voice even when your back is facing the speaker.

If you prefer vocal clarity being more forward/pronounced/present, Sonos One is the one to go for. This is especially so for night time listening if you need to tune the volume down and still hear vocals crystal clear.

However, if you prefer more natural sound production with wider soundstage, and a more comprehensive bass range, the Bose Home Speaker 300 is the one to go for (Sonos One lacks sub-base, and bass kicks/thumps are much weaker). This is NOT to say that the Sonos One has lousy bass, as there is definitely bass production, just not the full bass range. For night time listening, because vocals are not as pronounced as the Sonos One, you need to turn up the volume to be louder than the Sonos One for the same level of voical clarity. This is the main downside of the Bose Home Speaker 300 for me.

Overall, just based on the sound signature, I personally prefer the Bose Home Speaker 300, it can definitely get the party started in a room with such a small footprint.

Note: if you are in the apple ecosystem and use Apple Music, the HomePod Mini to me, is a "powered down" Sonos One with similar sound signature, also with similar deficiency in bass range.

*The HK Citation One is for bass-heads.... at 50% volume, the bass and sub-bass rattles my windows, and gives me a headache (literally) even at low volumes. Too much bass for me, have since sold it off

**JBL Playlist was a speaker that I bought to be a laptop speaker after my MacBook Pro speakers blew. For $60 on Carousell, this is probably the cheapest Wifi Speaker with Google Cast built-in. Of course it can't really produce vocals as clear as the Sonos One nor compete with the Bose Home Speaker 300, but it is no slouch. A good JBL WIFI speaker that works and sounds good.

Last edited:

RyanJ

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sonos is good for the connectivity convenience it brings to the average consumer.

arsene

Reaction score
A cheap and poorly setup 5.1 speaker system will be better than a more than $2k soundbar.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.