Sony Xperia 5II

JuXn5566

Reaction score
Is the low brightness in the display a concern for normal usage? under sunlight?
Also, how's the haptic compares to iPhone/Pixel/LG?

This seem to be the best small phone at the moment compares to S21 with exynos, or pixel 5 with midrange processor. However, the phone is 1.3k which is not cheap.

Last edited:

JuXn5566

Reaction score
Is the low brightness in the display a concern for normal usage? under sunlight?

This seem to be the best small phone at the moment compares to S21 with exynos, or pixel 5 with midrange processor. However, the phone is 1.3k which is not cheap.

joined the club :s12:
I have to say the haptic feedback is bad compared to iPhone or LG flagships despite having a reasonably sized x-axis rectangular linear vibration motor. I suspect the poor springy haptic performance got to do with Sony's poor software optimization of the motor. I haven't tested out the screen under sunlight. But under normal or in room lighting, the display is great.

darkmatt

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

its using a qualcomm 865... so its basically flagship..

sky37

Reaction score
joined the club :s12:
I have to say the haptic feedback is bad compared to iPhone or LG flagships despite having a reasonably sized x-axis rectangular linear vibration motor. I suspect the poor springy haptic performance got to do with Sony's poor software optimization of the motor. I haven't tested out the screen under sunlight. But under normal or in room lighting, the display is great.

For haptics, I believe to have the same experience as Apple, some Chinese phones like Meizu can match. Overall a good phone. Some one said premium compact phone :)

rssd21

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yea it's a flagship but more expensive than competitors. But it's a compact flagship.

Yes, it is about SGD 50 more than S20 during the first retail price but it comes with double the internal storage (256GB vs 128GB).

Any other sam phones with bigger storage are much bigger in size and higher prices.

xerome

Reaction score
Anybody experiencing Google Pay issues with the recent update 58.1.A.5.55? I noticed my NFC transactions on Google Pay starts failing quite often after the update.. Reinstalled Google Pay app also same issue.
b4GakI1.png

JuXn5566

Reaction score
Anybody experiencing Google Pay issues with the recent update 58.1.A.5.55? I noticed my NFC transactions on Google Pay starts failing quite often after the update.. Reinstalled Google Pay app also same issue.
b4GakI1.png
I'm having the same issue, it's not working for public transport however working fine for paywave in stores. People reported having the same problem in Xiaomi's Poco F2 and F3 thread.

DigDub

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For those having issues with google pay, do the following. It solved the in-store payment and public transport issues for me.

1. Got to phone settings, apps. Look for Google Play Services. Tap it and tap the 3 dots in the upper right corner, tap Uninstall Updates.

2. Download the last version which is tested to be working from apkmirror.
https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/googl...-09-15-150400-361652764-android-apk-download/

3. Install it. Open Google Pay app. It will ask you to add your credit card again. Add it. After that should be ok already.

xerome

Reaction score
Thanks! Following your instructions re-installing Google Play Services fixed it for me. Except I didn't install through APKmirror. Reinstalled through Google Play Store instead, now on version v20.50.16.

DigDub

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The play services will auto update to the latest version after some time and cause google pay to fail again. So google better resolve this fast.

DigDub

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone experienced issue with the always on display not updating the alarm clock where it will be stuck at a past alarm clock date after the time has passed? Have to restart the phone then the next upcoming alarm time will be reflected correctly.

DigDub

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone experienced issue with the always on display not updating the alarm clock where it will be stuck at a past alarm clock date after the time has passed? Have to restart the phone then the next upcoming alarm time will be reflected correctly.
So... I changed to the Sony clock style for the locked screen and it's ok now. Seems like the digital clock style got issue.

Toader

Master Member
Reaction score
There's new update : Google pay for SG. Lets hope it works! (I haven't update yet)

xerome

Reaction score
Thanks! Following your instructions re-installing Google Play Services fixed it for me. Except I didn't install through APKmirror. Reinstalled through Google Play Store instead, now on version v20.50.16.
Update from my last post, Gpay on transit still working right now. No updates for Google Play Services yet.

DigDub

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yup, I also uninstalled the updates and it's on 20.50.16 now. I think it's the base version after the phone updated to android 11. Google pay works flawlessly.

Anyway, I had put the x5 ii away for a few months and recently took it out and updated to android 11 and latest updates. It's much nicer to use now. The gesture navigation works more reliably and can set the sensitivity. The camera pro app got auto mode now which takes much better picture than the normal camera app. Don't remember having those before. Can't wait for the x5 iii.

JuXn5566

Reaction score
Yup, I also uninstalled the updates and it's on 20.50.16 now. I think it's the base version after the phone updated to android 11. Google pay works flawlessly.

Anyway, I had put the x5 ii away for a few months and recently took it out and updated to android 11 and latest updates. It's much nicer to use now. The gesture navigation works more reliably and can set the sensitivity. The camera pro app got auto mode now which takes much better picture than the normal camera app. Don't remember having those before. Can't wait for the x5 iii.

Mine came with Android 11 out of the box. Hopefully Xperia 5 II can get software updates to have similar features on Xperia 1 III. I particularly looking forward to ability to remap the Google assistant key, and new normal camera app which has a button to switch into photo pro app.

xerome

Reaction score
My guess not so soon ba. From what I observed, they usually consolidate the generation feature updates together with a major version upgrade. Any idea of the mkiii will be launching with Android12?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.