Soundbar discussion Thread III {consolidated}

Status
Not open for further replies.

warr

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am trying to get a decent soundbar for my new place. Not really sure which one and where to get. Also tried to go check out the Philips B5, but never got a chance to test, item was unavailable at the places I went.

I went to Adelphi - high end audio systems
Harvey norman & courts - selling samsung, sony & lg soundbars.
I so far tested the sony soundbars CT380
CT780
RT5
NT3

I need something which gives a decent sound for movies and songs. Any recommendations would be appreaciated.

NT3 is a good choice.

chengsun

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can the experts here enlighten me, what is the difference between a soundbar with subwoofer and a soundbar without?

If I use one without subwoofer, what am I missing? Let's say I only use it for TV, movies, no gaming, no musics.

Milo-Dino

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can the experts here enlighten me, what is the difference between a soundbar with subwoofer and a soundbar without?

If I use one without subwoofer, what am I missing? Let's say I only use it for TV, movies, no gaming, no musics.
U miss the booming low bass lor..

Action movies no longer shiok

Sent from INO 3 using GAGT

focus1974

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score

subwoofer is needed to reproduce the low frequencies....
if you dont have subwoofer... u missed the whole movie watching experience...
but must have center speaker to project the voice... even better..

soundbar i find the projection is lacking ... better get 5.1 with center speaker.

actually..for $700 ... the prce i bought by fidelio htl9100...
i think i would have gotten a better deal with a yamaha receiver plus 5.1 speakers for $800ish.. that one also can place all 5 speakers in front for "cinemafront DSP" ...if you do not want the hassle of placing rear speakers..

of ocz... not as good again.. but i think definitely sound nicer than a soundbar?

Milo-Dino

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score

soundbar i find the projection is lacking ... better get 5.1 with center speaker.

i think i would have gotten a better deal with a yamaha receiver plus 5.1 speakers for $800ish.. that one also can place all 5 speakers in front for "cinemafront DSP" ...if you do not want the hassle of placing rear speakers..

of ocz... not as good again.. but i think definitely sound nicer than a soundbar?
Sometimes... The criteria to pass the wife acceptance test is the hardest... Especially when the first criteria is no running wires lol.

Sent from Xiaomi MI NOTE LTE using GAGT

chengsun

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the explanations.

chengsun

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Haha, actually for my case is not the wife. My home deco set up is rather simple, no feature wall ect just a "floating tv console" (which i regret now, shld have done one that is up from floor at least i no need to worry abt weight), and tv mounted on wall. I do not like to have so many clusters, and so many items on my console or on floors since i can't avoid my tiddlers from playing with them. I especially do not like big subwoofer box, on my console or on floor, kind of eyesore n makes cleaning troublesome. I am right now using a simple cheap 5.1 by lg cost only $99 from qoo10. No bluray and no hdmi connection to tv.

Im thinking how i can upgrade the set up to have:
1. Less clusters better
2. Bluray
3. FM radio (this is my wife criteria, and reason i bought my current lg)

I tried searching around. I actually like the combo of soundbar + bluray player but there seems like no bluray player with FM function around. Next best thing is soundbar + bluray player + a simple cd player radio

Would really appreciate if you can give me more ideas.

Sometimes... The criteria to pass the wife acceptance test is the hardest... Especially when the first criteria is no running wires lol.

focus1974

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score

LOL... I think your wife is a lucky woman.

Though i see a lot of apartments in photos wired up the speakers and hide the wires nicely. Maybe need professional help for that. :)

Milo-Dino

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Haha, actually for my case is not the wife. My home deco set up is rather simple, no feature wall ect just a "floating tv console" (which i regret now, shld have done one that is up from floor at least i no need to worry abt weight), and tv mounted on wall. I do not like to have so many clusters, and so many items on my console or on floors since i can't avoid my tiddlers from playing with them. I especially do not like big subwoofer box, on my console or on floor, kind of eyesore n makes cleaning troublesome. I am right now using a simple cheap 5.1 by lg cost only $99 from qoo10. No bluray and no hdmi connection to tv.

Im thinking how i can upgrade the set up to have:
1. Less clusters better
2. Bluray
3. FM radio (this is my wife criteria, and reason i bought my current lg)

I tried searching around. I actually like the combo of soundbar + bluray player but there seems like no bluray player with FM function around. Next best thing is soundbar + bluray player + a simple cd player radio

Would really appreciate if you can give me more ideas.
I believe some soundbar got am/fm function.

If not.. Those with Bluetooth den use hp mobile radio app to stream..

My bluray is my ps4 haha

chengsun

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Went Best Denki see see look look, and I saw this!
VVrlAbs.jpg

Just nice for me! and the subwoofer is a small size one, so I am still ok, only need to couple with a bluray player.

Any bro here got review of this model from Philips?

ipaq4444

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
my heart jump. for a moment i thought i saw htl 9100 and is already jumping for car key. lol

thsnco

Reaction score
Went Best Denki see see look look, and I saw this!
VVrlAbs.jpg

Just nice for me! and the subwoofer is a small size one, so I am still ok, only need to couple with a bluray player.

Any bro here got review of this model from Philips?

Hey bro, not sure if you are joking around here. The promotion period is from 01/10/2015 to 31/12/2015, are you sure you did not take this photo last year?

chengsun

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yup I saw the promo date. The staff still left it there, I think to show the specs, even though oos. No, i took the photo last saturday.

Hey bro, not sure if you are joking around here. The promotion period is from 01/10/2015 to 31/12/2015, are you sure you did not take this photo last year?

yukita

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
for Yamaha YSP 2500 is the subwoofer position must be on side?

what if put it at corner behind?

is it ok to put the subwoofer behind for general brand of sound bar?

thanks.

Edit: for example in position "A" below

2016-04-20_12-14-17_zpsakgvame6.jpg

Last edited:

ruthleepj

Reaction score
Actually htl9100 can buy from qoo10 at $799.
Any other recommended sound bars to buy? New house coming, many choices and dunno what's most value for $$

focus1974

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
eh... new question.. for people with htl9100...

I am thinking of atmos enabling my sound system..

so do you think I Could get away with buying a Oknyo atmos receiver and plugging in htl9100 soundbar as the 5.1 ... and then buying two atmos enabled oknyo speakers to plug in to the reciever for the .2 configuartiona?

something like this..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.