Soundbar discussion Thread V [consolidated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ark Law

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any comments between JBL Studio Bar and Yamaha SR-C20A?

Currently looking at these 2 because they have 3.5mm jack, which my Stupid TV uses. Current speaker is Altec Lansing VS2721, with worn cables due to cats always tripping over speaker & subwoofer cables. Or should I just go for another cheapo desktop speaker set?

BiggieZee

Reaction score
Currently owns a display set yas 207 n wanted to upgrade it cause the sbwoofer produce 'tick' sound randomly. Looking for those with atmos/dts x, 5.1.2, can roughly fit my 55in tv n budget of >1k. Thnks...

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

petetherock

Reaction score
1k with Atmos and rear speakers??
I guess sound quality matters less than features..
Check what kind of atmos experience it really offers and how many speakers are actually inside these basic soundbars.. some of them only have two speakers to do all that 'atmos'..

lazy999

Reaction score
Guys, klipsch cinema 600 or sonos beam? Or any recommendation for other brand among this price range

BiggieZee

Reaction score
Aft further checks, n since 5.1 requires satellite or rear speakers, i decided to go with 3.1 soundbar with woofer. Recommendations?

BiggieZee

Reaction score
Spoilt for choice after see so many soundbars
See what fits your budget … jbl 3.1 is also on sale now at shoppee ..
Spoilt for choice from ur recommendations. But decided to focus on sonos beam. It has eARC but tv only got arc. Still ok? N overall, issit worth it? Will use for movies n ps5. Thanks...

MoyoCase

Banned
Reaction score
Aft further checks, n since 5.1 requires satellite or rear speakers, i decided to go with 3.1 soundbar with woofer. Recommendations?
3.1 sound bar will sound worst as there are no native 3.1 audio content out there( it either 5.1 or stereo only) . 2 ch stereo will not make use of centre channel and also 5.1 even though make use of centre channel it will destroy the stereo image since there is sound waves coming out in the middle interfering with left and right . (3.1 only works best with bookshelf speakers where they are placed far apart because u need the rear wireless to speakers to bring about directionality. Besides 5.1 will output as 3.1 with rear channel sound missing because the codec assumes u have rear speakers if u don't have the rear speakers, 3.1 is mainly useless as the sound comes as one piece of frontal sound .

Lastly all the above mostly works well if u use bitstream output which itself itself is limiting because certain online video content like Amazon and Netflix sound don't work over bitstream . (This could be a limitation of the app or the provider platform,TV capabilities like earc ect.)

On the other hand a sound bar advertised as 5.1 with multiple drivers (e.g. 5.1.2 , 7.1.4 or 11.1.4 ect of Samsung models) will provide proper functionality for 5.1 content but will give u some kind of virtual effect without rear speakers.( the surround speakers are there but inside the soundbar like e.g. upfiring 2 speakers ect).

Example a 5.1.2 soundbar means all mutiple speakers built in

5 speakers ( L,R, Centre,2 surround speakers)
.1 speaker ( subwoofer)
,2 ( upfiring speakers, probably for atmos)

5.1. 4 - as above but with 4 height channels or speakers to generate sound above the listener.

So 5.1.4 will have a better dolby atmos effect than a 5.1.2

Last edited:

petetherock

Reaction score
Actually a good 3.1 soundbar is not bad.
Make sure there are really true mids and tweeters for all the channels.
The centre will help pin the dialogue, and the stereo pair will give you excellent music reproduction.
What you miss are the surround cues and that 'potential' enveloping effect.
I've seen / heard some setup and despite the presence of actual rear speakers, they don't give any surround effect, and let's not even start on those pseudo-surround options.
When you do use rear speakers, please do a test tone to make sure the levels are properly setup..

MoyoCase

Banned
Reaction score
Actually a good 3.1 soundbar is not bad.
Make sure there are really true mids and tweeters for all the channels.
The centre will help pin the dialogue, and the stereo pair will give you excellent music reproduction.
What you miss are the surround cues and that 'potential' enveloping effect.
I've seen / heard some setup and despite the presence of actual rear speakers, they don't give any surround effect, and let's not even start on those pseudo-surround options.
When you do use rear speakers, please do a test tone to make sure the levels are properly setup..
3.1 works best for bookshelf speakers. in soundbars the speakers are too close to each other.

BiggieZee

Reaction score
After further research n reviews, decided to buy Samsung hw q900a from paris silk website during BF sales. Hope it's worth it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.