Soundbar discussion Thread V [consolidated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoyoCase

Banned
Reaction score
Actually a good 3.1 soundbar is not bad.
Make sure there are really true mids and tweeters for all the channels.
The centre will help pin the dialogue, and the stereo pair will give you excellent music reproduction.
What you miss are the surround cues and that 'potential' enveloping effect.
I've seen / heard some setup and despite the presence of actual rear speakers, they don't give any surround effect, and let's not even start on those pseudo-surround options.
When you do use rear speakers, please do a test tone to make sure the levels are properly setup..
surround effect only plays when the movie encoded in surround and the scene calls for it ( depends on the movie studio encoding)

seaknight

Reaction score
sony HT A7000 definitely good . Yamaha projector and ambeo i think are sound projectors, they use many small speakers inside to create surround effect
Thank you, guess i will go ahead to get Sony HT A7000 to pair with my A80j. hopefully it will sound good for movies and music.

MoyoCase

Banned
Reaction score
Any comments between JBL Studio Bar and Yamaha SR-C20A?

Currently looking at these 2 because they have 3.5mm jack, which my Stupid TV uses. Current speaker is Altec Lansing VS2721, with worn cables due to cats always tripping over speaker & subwoofer cables. Or should I just go for another cheapo desktop speaker set?
instead of soundbar i will suggest good PC speakers like edifier since u claim yr TV has 3.5mm . if u really need soundbar or want to future proof for new tv and need HDMI CEC functions, then go for the Creative stage v2. it is very good affordable one already with subwoofer.

Yamaha SR C20A has a similar sound type of sound but with better clarity and upfiring speakers with better surround ( if u plan to put it on the tv rack or console) although its bass would not be good as stage v2. There is still bass just that the bass will not rattle the windows. Th JBL bar studio is similar. But 3.mm cannot do any of those multichannel sound.

if u dont need unusually high bass then get the yamaha c20a. if u dont care about virtual dts or dolby surround , get the stage v2. if u dont care about the sound formats only need stereo and big soundstage is important , get one of those edifier bookshelf speakers. personally if yr tv has only analog or optical edifier bookshelf speakers will be best. The edifier's have better clarity and soundstage due to having tweeters, midrange and woofers ( plus u can add any external subwoofer). any good 2.1 bookshelf speaker can easily win budget soundbars in terms of soundstage and surround. Get a universal tv remote to join up both the speakers and tv controls and u are good to go. They can also be used as PC speakers in the future

Last edited:

lazy999

Reaction score
Anyone know what is the best price for sonas beam during the sales? $500+ ? or $600?

lazy999

Reaction score
I will not waste my money on this. Sonos beam is mainly 2 channel sound. For that price can get Yamaha
Hi Moyocase,

Can tell me which yamaha model is that or other brand to recommend around $700?

Thank you.

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Upgrading the SAMSUNG Q-Series Soundbar HW-Q950 A 11.1.4 channels to 13.1.6 channels

Here's how.

Buy additional 2x SAMSUNG SWA-9500S 2.0.2-channel Dolby Atmos/DTS:X wireless rear speakers and connect to the mentioned soundbar will do. From the picture below you can see that the SWA-9500S rear speakers do NOT have side-firing speakers, unlike the original wireless rear speakers that come with the soundbar. This makes the SWA-9500S speakers a perfect choice to install them at the rear between the original rear speakers. I believe this will improve the height and surround in some way.

https://www.samsung.com/us/televisi...speaker-kit-w-dolby-atmos-dts-x-swa-9500s-za/
2021_Soundbar_SWA-9500S_Wireless_Dolby_Atmos_surround_sound_ready_PC.jpg

Here is the proof which somebody has done it. Read post #4068 onwards

https://www.avforums.com/threads/samsung-hw-q950a-thread-11-1-4.2338010/page-163

Last edited:

aarontansp

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Upgrading the SAMSUNG Q-Series Soundbar HW-Q950 A 11.1.4 channels to 13.1.6 channels

Here's how.

Buy additional 2x SAMSUNG SWA-9500S 2.0.2-channel Dolby Atmos/DTS:X wireless rear speakers and connect to the mentioned soundbar will do. From the picture below you can see that the SWA-9500S rear speakers do NOT have side-firing speakers, unlike the original wireless rear speakers that come with the soundbar. This makes the SWA-9500S speakers a perfect choice to install them at the rear between the original rear speakers. I believe this will improve the height and surround in some way.

https://www.samsung.com/us/televisi...speaker-kit-w-dolby-atmos-dts-x-swa-9500s-za/
2021_Soundbar_SWA-9500S_Wireless_Dolby_Atmos_surround_sound_ready_PC.jpg

Here is the proof which somebody has done it. Read post #4068 onwards

https://www.avforums.com/threads/samsung-hw-q950a-thread-11-1-4.2338010/page-163
For the rear speakers, do you need a power source for each of the speaker? Weird to run 3 pin extension wire for both across the room though.

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For the rear speakers, do you need a power source for each of the speaker? Weird to run 3 pin extension wire for both across the room though.
Yes. My SAMSUNG rear speakers (bundled with the soundbar) are NOT battery powered. And I don't think SAMSUNG has any wireless battery-powered rear speakers

The above SAMSUNG SWA-9500S 2.0.2-channel Dolby Atmos/DTS:X wireless rear speakers are NOT supported by your soundbar.

Your SAMSUNG Q600A is a 3.1.2-channel soundbar. You can upgrade to 5.1.2 channels for better audio experience using the SAMSUNG SWA-9100S 2.0-channel wireless rear speaker kit below

https://www.samsung.com/us/televisi...9100s-wireless-rear-speaker-kit-swa-9100s-za/

Last edited:

aarontansp

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes. My SAMSUNG (SWA-9500S 2.0.2-channel Dolby Atmos/DTS:X) rear speakers in the above are NOT battery powered. And I don't think SAMSUNG has any wireless battery-powered rear speakers

The above SAMSUNG SWA-9500S 2.0.2-channel Dolby Atmos/DTS:X wireless rear speakers are NOT supported by your soundbar.

Your SAMSUNG Q600A is a 3.1.2-channel soundbar. You can upgrade to 5.1.2 channels for better audio experience using the SAMSUNG SWA-9100S 2.0-channel wireless rear speaker kit below

https://www.samsung.com/us/televisi...9100s-wireless-rear-speaker-kit-swa-9100s-za/
Thank you for pointing this out! Will have to switch to SWA-9100S

Ks1991

Reaction score
Guys,

My SwanSpeaker D300 refused to power up, having tried all possible power troubleshooting (Change plug and socket) to no avail. It is only one year old, so now I have to fork out money to buy another soundbar/speaker for my tv.

As there is some distance (at least 2.5m) between the TV and sofa, can any expert recommend any value for money soundbar/speaker to me, please? My budget is not more than $700 and below are some of the recommendations by you guys in the previous few pages of this thread.

1) sony HT G700 ($619)
2) Yamaha Ats ($499)

Any suggestion is deeply appreciated.
Thank you

Last edited:

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Guys,

My SwanSpeaker D300 refused to power up, having tried all possible power troubleshooting (Change plug and socket) to no avail. It is only one year old, so now I have to fork out money to buy another soundbar/speaker for my tv.

As there is some distance (at least 2.5m) between the TV and sofa, can any expert recommend any value for money soundbar/speaker to me, please? My budget is not more than $700 and below are some of the recommendations by you guys in the previous few pages of this thread.

1) sony HT A7000 ($619)
2) Yamaha Ats ($499)

Any suggestion is deeply appreciated.
Thank you
What TV you using?

Last edited:

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
LG CX65 I think ..
The problem with different brands of tv and soundbar is their compatibility. You also lose out the special feature the TV/soundbar has to offer if using mixed brands.

Are you watching disc movies? Make sure they both supports eARC and that there's no issue with both even if they both have eARC like both the eARC support DTS:X audio.

Better check at forums like avforums, avsforums etc before buying

Last edited:

Ks1991

Reaction score
Thank you for information. Honestly I am too lazy to think about the features, rather I am more focused on the value to money and sound quality .. if Sony HT G700 at $619 is good value then I will just get it.. unless experts here have other Brand/ model to recommend 😂

Last edited:

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thank you for information. Honestly I am too lazy to think about the features, rather I am more focused on the value to money and sound quality .. if Sony HT A700 at $619 is good value then I will just get it.. unless experts here have other Brand/ model to recommend 😂
From below

https://electronics.sony.com/audio/soundbars/all-soundbars/p/hta7000
I believe you can upgrade using an additional sub and 2x rear surround speakers. So your system becomes a 9.2.2 instead of the original 7.1.2 for a better audio experience

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.