S'poreans Migrated to Canada LIP LAI

cyke69sg

Reaction score
the recent draw only seems to have canadian exprience class and provincial nominee program.
if i do not qualify for canadian exprience class (never worked in canada before), express entry alone won't be sufficient? need to apply for provincial nominee program?

and i see some posts that getting PR is easy but getting a job isn't so easy. how effective is canada job bank in searching and securing a job? i work in oil and gas industry as an engineer currently.

i'm also working on this with my bf. if i get a job first, means my bf would need to find a job in the same city? how do you find jobs in the same area? any tip from those who applied as a couple?

thanks lots in advance!!!
Yeah looks like no express entry now.

Oil and gas? The industry is pretty dismal now. Go check out the downtown office vacancy rate in Calgary. Calgary is the heart of the oil and gas HQs. Many many lost their jobs already and they arent coming back.

Most new immigrants to Canada have their previous experience (non Canadian) totally unrecognized. They recognize for points for PR but not for job.

You have to do your engineering exams again. P Eng?

What does your bf do?

You should expect to not be able to land a job before moving to Canada. Also after landing expect only to get entry level jobs.

Very very tough for first generation immigrants.

Might be better to stay in Sg. High pay low taxes. Save up. Then retire to Malta.

kaisin82

Reaction score
Sharing some photos of my camping trip this summer, for those that are thinking of applying or in the midst of doing that, just do it. No regrets. It’s worth the journey

71022-B71-8-F84-45-CD-B013-492-D19-C9-A6-F5.jpg

51-C3909-B-5-BA7-4303-BB7-C-EACEFD2-D73-AC.jpg

E37-FFC09-7-E91-4-E50-972-C-0626854-C1473.jpg

C81-ED626-A20-A-4-D49-89-CF-00-B0674625-FF.jpg

845-D3-D44-FEA5-487-C-BA63-77-EA7438-A8-A6.jpg

jen1512

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sharing some photos of my camping trip this summer, for those that are thinking of applying or in the midst of doing that, just do it. No regrets. It’s worth the journey

Nice scenery. Now without express entry it is reali harder... :(

cyke69sg

Reaction score

How you upload pictures to this forum?

Beta Boy

Reaction score
the recent draw only seems to have canadian exprience class and provincial nominee program.
if i do not qualify for canadian exprience class (never worked in canada before), express entry alone won't be sufficient? need to apply for provincial nominee program?

and i see some posts that getting PR is easy but getting a job isn't so easy. how effective is canada job bank in searching and securing a job? i work in oil and gas industry as an engineer currently.

i'm also working on this with my bf. if i get a job first, means my bf would need to find a job in the same city? how do you find jobs in the same area? any tip from those who applied as a couple?

thanks lots in advance!!!
have you considered pursuing higher studies, either masters or phd, as an international student in canada first? tuition fees arent that much more expensive in certain universities, even highly ranked one, as compared to doing grad studies in NUS/NTU/SMU. for example, university of alberta and mcgill university charges international students less than $10k per year even for international students. with a canadian degree, it'll put you in good stead for a higher paying job in canada and will also allow you to qualify for CEC.

right now, FSW aren't running draws, and even when it resumes, I expect cut off scores to be very high, way higher than what an applicant with just a bachelor's degree can achieve. and even if you do eventually obtain PR via FSW, as you said, finding a job without canadian experience can be very difficult if you're not particularly skilled.

if you want to continue working in O&G, you can consider moving to alberta, either edmonton or calgary. that's where most of the O&G activities are. and your bf doesnt necessarily have to find a job in the same city if he's able to secure a job with remote work arrangements, although those will be hard to come by, especially without canadian work experience.

I recently moved to edmonton to do my masters in engineering and it took my wife a month to find a job, although it's not a job that she absolutely wants. she's still constantly applying to the jobs she wants, with the hope that having a job now will provide her with an added advantage. linkedin, indeed and monster.ca are good portals where a lot of professional jobs are posted. facebook marketplace is more for temp jobs.

all in all, although our income is lower than in sg now, i think we're happier because its less crowded here, groceries are cheaper, there are nice national parks within a short drive away and the weather's awesome (for now)

cyke69sg

Reaction score
have you considered pursuing higher studies, either masters or phd, as an international student in canada first? tuition fees arent that much more expensive in certain universities, even highly ranked one, as compared to doing grad studies in NUS/NTU/SMU. for example, university of alberta and mcgill university charges international students less than $10k per year even for international students. with a canadian degree, it'll put you in good stead for a higher paying job in canada and will also allow you to qualify for CEC.

right now, FSW aren't running draws, and even when it resumes, I expect cut off scores to be very high, way higher than what an applicant with just a bachelor's degree can achieve. and even if you do eventually obtain PR via FSW, as you said, finding a job without canadian experience can be very difficult if you're not particularly skilled.

if you want to continue working in O&G, you can consider moving to alberta, either edmonton or calgary. that's where most of the O&G activities are. and your bf doesnt necessarily have to find a job in the same city if he's able to secure a job with remote work arrangements, although those will be hard to come by, especially without canadian work experience.

I recently moved to edmonton to do my masters in engineering and it took my wife a month to find a job, although it's not a job that she absolutely wants. she's still constantly applying to the jobs she wants, with the hope that having a job now will provide her with an added advantage. linkedin, indeed and monster.ca are good portals where a lot of professional jobs are posted. facebook marketplace is more for temp jobs.

all in all, although our income is lower than in sg now, i think we're happier because its less crowded here, groceries are cheaper, there are nice national parks within a short drive away and the weather's awesome (for now)

Do you ski? Should take up a winter activity then you will view winter differently. When it snows it becomes a good thing as there will be fresh snow or even powder for skiing!

Edmonton has a small ski hill called Snow Valley. My family learned how to ski there. It is the best place to learn if you ask me. Right in the city so very convenient especially if you stay in the South west. They have the easier slopes and even the so called big slope is very easy. Season passes are cheap. Keep practicing. Sign up for the group classes (also cheap) and get some tips. Then when you are bored with Snow Valley go to Marmot Basin!

Totally agree that having a job does help with subsequent applications to better jobs. I dont know why but some Singaporeans tend to think they must get their DREAM JOB high pay high status job they love as their FIRST job and that this FIRST job will be their forever job.

It's finding a job lah. Not a puppy.

Beta Boy

Reaction score
Do you ski? Should take up a winter activity then you will view winter differently. When it snows it becomes a good thing as there will be fresh snow or even powder for skiing!

Edmonton has a small ski hill called Snow Valley. My family learned how to ski there. It is the best place to learn if you ask me. Right in the city so very convenient especially if you stay in the South west. They have the easier slopes and even the so called big slope is very easy. Season passes are cheap. Keep practicing. Sign up for the group classes (also cheap) and get some tips. Then when you are bored with Snow Valley go to Marmot Basin!

Totally agree that having a job does help with subsequent applications to better jobs. I dont know why but some Singaporeans tend to think they must get their DREAM JOB high pay high status job they love as their FIRST job and that this FIRST job will be their forever job.

It's finding a job lah. Not a puppy.
Nope, never skied before. I live near the UofA campus, but thanks for the tips! got lots of things to try, maybe too much haha. last weekend we tried hiking along the North Saskatchewan River and took one of the small forks off the main trail and almost died (not literally hahaha). bumped into a middle aged couple literally trail jogging, and we as a young couple was having trouble even walking the trail, so this means we gotta up our hiking game also.

some sinkies think too highly of ourselves lah. the moment they see something is minimum wage or less than what they're earning back in sg, they think its some sh*tty job that's beneath them. I fall into that trap sometimes too, and never realised that sometimes its better to be humble, THEN prove your worth to employers that you deserve a certain salary. my friend who moved to canada 2 years ago also took 2.5 months to find a job in civil engineering, then another 4 months before finding his dream job in the shipbuilding and ship repair industry. now he's doing okay, even bought a condo unit in vancouver already

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.