[👍ST Forum👍] Instead of creating a divide, focus on what we share as Singaporeans ❤️

ubtokendotnet

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Forum: Instead of creating a divide, focus on what we share as Singaporeans​

I am currently studying overseas, and have been deeply saddened to hear about the recent incidents of racism that have been happening in Singapore.

I know that such cases are not new, and have personally faced situations that challenged the idea of racial harmony, especially in recent years.

Where possible, I have tried to raise such issues, hoping to increase understanding so that I can get along better with the people around me.

I have been blessed to have some close friends who may be of a different race, but when we are together, it never feels any different. Instead of harbouring stereotypes about me, they got to know me as a person and ultimately, I believe that is what is important.

With globalisation, people now study, work and live in so many places over their lifetimes. They pick up different customs and traditions, and it is this combination of experiences that shapes who they are and their individual culture.

Instead of creating a divide among ourselves, we should learn to see ourselves as Singaporeans first.

I am always so proud to talk about Singapore when I am overseas and invite new friends to come visit.

I want to tell them that Singapore is such a unique and special place, with so many races that make us who we are, that make our food so delicious and different from what you can find anywhere else in the world.

Please, Singapore, allow me to keep doing that.

We can do better.

Renu Chandra Segaran

https://www.straitstimes.com/opinio...divide-focus-on-what-we-share-as-singaporeans

Forum: Yes, condemn racism, but no need to compel people to speak out​

What Straits Times associate editor Chua Mui Hoong wrote is largely uncontroversial (Fighting racism calls for all to take a clear stand against it, June 11).

That a worrying number of outwardly racist incidents have occurred is cause for concern, and it is surely correct that a deep look into the reasons for such incidents is required.

I was particularly impressed with her analysis of how such bigoted views, once kept within the ambit of private conversations, now appear to be expressed more openly.

Unfortunately, I disagree with her conclusion. Ms Chua wrote that "silence is complicit". This entails that people in Singapore have a duty to speak out against and condemn the racist behaviour we observe online.

The concomitant conclusion is that if racist behaviour is a criminal offence, then those who watch in silence are accessories to the crime (that is, they are complicit in the commission of the racist act).

This cannot be right. Inaction or silence can be complicity in only very limited situations (for example, where there is a duty to act).

While everyone in Singapore has a duty to ensure that we do not engage in racist behaviour, it is certainly not our duty to speak out against it.

This is evidenced in Article 14 of the Constitution. Broad exceptions exist to the general right to free speech. Such restrictions include speech that jeopardises public order. But in no way does Article 14 compel any form of speech.

That an effective way to combat racism is to publicly condemn the racist acts and the racist himself is undeniable.

But Singapore should not go further to compel speech of that kind, for that is a slippery slope it does not want to go down.

Brent Lim Zi Jian

https://www.straitstimes.com/opinio...ism-but-no-need-to-compel-people-to-speak-out

ubtokendotnet

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Forum: Yes, condemn racism, but no need to compel people to speak out​

What Straits Times associate editor Chua Mui Hoong wrote is largely uncontroversial (Fighting racism calls for all to take a clear stand against it, June 11).

That a worrying number of outwardly racist incidents have occurred is cause for concern, and it is surely correct that a deep look into the reasons for such incidents is required.

I was particularly impressed with her analysis of how such bigoted views, once kept within the ambit of private conversations, now appear to be expressed more openly.

Unfortunately, I disagree with her conclusion. Ms Chua wrote that "silence is complicit". This entails that people in Singapore have a duty to speak out against and condemn the racist behaviour we observe online.

The concomitant conclusion is that if racist behaviour is a criminal offence, then those who watch in silence are accessories to the crime (that is, they are complicit in the commission of the racist act).

This cannot be right. Inaction or silence can be complicity in only very limited situations (for example, where there is a duty to act).

While everyone in Singapore has a duty to ensure that we do not engage in racist behaviour, it is certainly not our duty to speak out against it.

This is evidenced in Article 14 of the Constitution. Broad exceptions exist to the general right to free speech. Such restrictions include speech that jeopardises public order. But in no way does Article 14 compel any form of speech.

That an effective way to combat racism is to publicly condemn the racist acts and the racist himself is undeniable.

But Singapore should not go further to compel speech of that kind, for that is a slippery slope it does not want to go down.

Brent Lim Zi Jian

https://www.straitstimes.com/opinio...ism-but-no-need-to-compel-people-to-speak-out

maosaikopi

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Studying overseas probably means higher ses with opportunities open to him not accessible to the common man

Does he know the actual reality sinkies on the ground face? Or want to hear only the good stuff so can continue haolian his ‘homeland’ to his foreign kawans without actually staying here :s11:

Cut_throat

Banned
Reaction score
Studying overseas probably means higher ses with opportunities open to him not accessible to the common man

Does he know the actual reality sinkies on the ground face? Or want to hear only the good stuff so can continue haolian his ‘homeland’ to his foreign kawans without actually staying here :s11:
They're the typical high horse SJWs that are ignorant about what's happening on the ground.

xdivider

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
the sadist in me wants sinkies to complain about racism with neighbour, dog and aliens every minutes to sham/spf/160 fb and extort them to take action........

liplai2021

Banned
Reaction score
In Singapore there are people who earn 10s of mils a year, several mils a year, few hundred thousands a year, few hundred hundreds a year, nothing, previously something maybe a lot but because of covid became nothing. Why so many crazy f*^kers love to one size fit all on this island? People that earn millions a year, woon woon jiak bee hun nothing affected big fat bonus still kao kao, made policies that affected people below, some income affected biz affected lost jobs etc etc. Knn cannot even rant ah?? Xenophobic what where??? I really think vast majority of Singaporeans are very reasonable, one example if today one foreigner got whacked or worse raped or even killed, most Singaporeans won’t clap hands and say he/she deserves it. Won’t right??!

Many people are questioning based on a genuine cause of concern this time - let in people from the ‘South Asia’, knn in the end businesses shutdown, people freeze pay lose jobs, many many more can’t even do the simplest thing such as having a low ses kopi at the nearest coffeeshop, on a super packed and small island such as Singapore leh knn. Even let in also half f*^k decision, go ask construction and design reno industry can already - do they have enough workers for their projects now??? Then again who suffer??? Who is paying more for reno and have later top dates for houses/shops all these etc??? Cannot rant ah? Cannot complain ah??!

Na ma eh ccb then start to have all these high ses but f*^king low iq/eq anti-xenophobic kinda people jumping out lashing out at the group that are suffering most in this country for the few cases. Then what, born breed Singaporean PMETs kena marginalised at work by foreigners? Don’t know ah? Individual case cannot comment ah??? Na ma eh ccb my individual power is small but I genuinely hope these people’s offsprings are all f*^king retards, there and then take up all their time and resources so they shut their f*^king traps up!

the_dog

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
where got divide. native born Sinkies share an aversion to the new imports that MIW is continuing to shove up our a$$es

years ago when it was AT flooding our island, we all complained, even Sinkie Chinese.

BTW, I used to hear complaints from minorities about there being too many ATs here. How come it wasn't considered racism for them to complain then ?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.