Standard Chartered - Only Online Trading in town with no minimum commission

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinkie

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
It will be interesting to know if the article was sponsored by SCB's competitors. It is not uncommon for bloggers to write paid articles which by nature has to be biased.

He's just trying to get readership lah haha

Sinkie

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
That writer should take a leaf from Sinkie, our honest broker. Although Sinkie is SCB's competitor and benefits from SCB sinking, he at least agrees that the writer is writing rubbish. Sinkie, do you think our stocks will be potentially gone if SCB folds the online trading operation?

Gone le can go where? Unless of course Scb secretly transfer the shares from the nominee into their own book and then declare bankrupt lor

klarklar

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Gone le can go where? Unless of course Scb secretly transfer the shares from the nominee into their own book and then declare bankrupt lor

Exactly. It is ok to be ignorant about the concept of segregated funds. However, to talk as if one is knowledgeable and warn people about totally misplaced fears thereby smearing the reputation of a business, I think that is very irresponsible. I wonder what will the action of SCB be. Will the writer want someone to do the same thing to him if he were running a business?

Last edited:

Perisher

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
It will be interesting to know if the article was sponsored by SCB's competitors. It is not uncommon for bloggers to write paid articles which by nature has to be biased.

Marcus Chua:
I'm a junior analyst in a global established credit rating organisation.

Never trust credit rating organisation...
:s22:

scratch.register

Reaction score
i see that there are 2 fields for selling - stop loss & lowest selling.

stop loss is used when price is below ur buy price to prevent further losses, whereas lowest selling is used to take profit when price is above ur buy price. pls correct me if i'm wrong.

so do we choose to input only 1 field or both fields?

Perisher

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
i see that there are 2 fields for selling - stop loss & lowest selling.

stop loss is used when price is below ur buy price to prevent further losses, whereas lowest selling is used to take profit when price is above ur buy price. pls correct me if i'm wrong.

so do we choose to input only 1 field or both fields?

Stop loss, is the price where your sell will be triggered, meaning you are ready to sell at all cost at this price and below( BUT!! this low price has a floor, which is set by your lowest selling price) Any price below this lowest selling price would not be executed.

E.g. you wanna sell Singtel, stop loss at 3.95, lowest at 3.93.
In this case, your stop loss will be triggered once singtel price falls to or below 3.95. It will attempt to sell between the price of 3.95-3.93. Let's say singtel falls from 3.96 to 3.92, your order will not be executed.

Why have this? To prevent huge losses.
The standard sell can execute your 3.95 and below already. Meaning, if you die die wanna sell, set a low enough price and it will confirm be sold.
The 'stop loss, lowest' set a floor which if the price fall too much, you would rather hold the share then sell at this lousy price.

scratch.register

Reaction score
Stop loss, is the price where your sell will be triggered, meaning you are ready to sell at all cost at this price and below( BUT!! this low price has a floor, which is set by your lowest selling price) Any price below this lowest selling price would not be executed.

E.g. you wanna sell Singtel, stop loss at 3.95, lowest at 3.93.
In this case, your stop loss will be triggered once singtel price falls to or below 3.95. It will attempt to sell between the price of 3.95-3.93. Let's say singtel falls from 3.96 to 3.92, your order will not be executed.

Why have this? To prevent huge losses.
The standard sell can execute your 3.95 and below already. Meaning, if you die die wanna sell, set a low enough price and it will confirm be sold.
The 'stop loss, lowest' set a floor which if the price fall too much, you would rather hold the share then sell at this lousy price.

thanks!

so how about if i want to take profit using this stoploss/lowest selling?

let's say singtel is 3.95 and i want to take profit & sell when it reaches 4.. so lowest selling = 4, and stop loss = 4.05??

Perisher

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
thanks!

so how about if i want to take profit using this stoploss/lowest selling?

let's say singtel is 3.95 and i want to take profit & sell when it reaches 4.. so lowest selling = 4, and stop loss = 4.05??

I understand what you wanna do but Stop loss is not for that.
If you simply wanna sell at $4, just sell at $4 using the normal sell.
Afaik, there is a trailing stop thing which scb doesn't have that help you take profit on a drop when price fall a little after a big rise.
Scb lacks a lot of the functions, but well it's cheap.

Last edited:

Asphodeli

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wah CAR letter lai liao :s13: Dated 19 Jan 2014

Well, can't complain, they are the cheapest broker in town, and I'm a sucker for such things :)

Last edited:

lamEduDe

Reaction score
hi all, i just went to open a scb online trading account, but i realized the relationship manager didnt help me open a cdp account. Is it an automatic opening or is it cos scb is using nominal account so cdp is not required?

thanks and sorry if this has been asked and answered..

Perisher

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
hi all, i just went to open a scb online trading account, but i realized the relationship manager didnt help me open a cdp account. Is it an automatic opening or is it cos scb is using nominal account so cdp is not required?

I think you still need a cdp account. Call scb to enquire.

Otherwise, just go to any other broker and open a trading account lor, it's free, they will open it for you. It's a matter of time before you need the cdp, Best to get it over and done with.

Niaoson

Master Member
Reaction score

SCB does not require CDP account because your shares are held by SCB. If you want a CDP account created, either to down to CDP directly or go to other brokers who will help you create a brokerage account with them as well as a CDP account.

Perisher

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Haha, i think u guys will confuse him. It's 0 change whether it's 10,000 share or 1 share. The charge goes by percentage, and it still goes by the same percentage.

If 1000 shares of Singtel at $3.5, it charge about $7.00
100 shares of Singtel at $3.5, it charge about $0.70
0 changes. =)

moisuperman

Master Member
Reaction score
orders filled alr, but when will they take the money out from the security settlement acc ? to pay for the stock i purchased?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.