Standard Chartered - Only Online Trading in town with no minimum commission

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeDirnt78

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
That's why you are ignorant.

You can open a joint banking account, but the online trading facility does not need to be in your name. It can be your parents name. The settlement account is also under your parents name. If a person is so inflexible in the mind, possible becomes impossible.

So what makes you so sure your information is right and he cannot sue you back? You obviously do not know what is your own rights.
You can't even tell what is illegal and what is prohibition and you want to talk about suing me if anything happens?

In this world, people instil fear onto others making them forgo what is their basic rights. :s8:

some financial institutions dont allow you to open external trading accounts because they dont want you to trade or hold any securities without their consent or knowledge and sometimes it is due to the nature of your job. and if the prohibitions are mentioned in the employment contract, then whatever ways you do to circumvent the prohibition is considered a breach of your employment contract. ie if you trade using your wife's account

earthyblue

Master Member
Reaction score
some financial institutions dont allow you to open external trading accounts because they dont want you to trade or hold any securities without their consent or knowledge and sometimes it is due to the nature of your job. and if the prohibitions are mentioned in the employment contract, then whatever ways you do to circumvent the prohibition is considered a breach of your employment contract. ie if you trade using your wife's account

Yes, if you say you are prohibited. But it was never illegal. Everyone have to distinguish the part on what is prohibition and what is illegal.
I work in a public listed company and due to the nature of my position, to prevent conflict of interest and insider trading, I am "technically" best not to purchase shares of any kind regardless of parent or even subsidiary in the market.

However, this rule is not extended to family members nor friends. The fact is even if people start to question your family members who purchased shares of the company, they need to verify that there was an abuse of position in company secrets to benefit from the stock market.

If that particular stock has been bought and kept for the past 3 years, suddenly the company is being taken over by another and the share price went up 150%, no one can say that you are abusing your position to get first hand info.

Back to the question on prohibitions in your contract. You can sign in your contract that you will not trade in any securities. But you have to understand the law that you cannot sign on behalf of your family that they will not trade in securities.

So how the SCB system works is
eg. you open a joint account with your father
So savings account has both your name and your father's name. 2 names.

Your father can open an online trading account with SCB under his name only. Your father also has to open a securities settlement account with SCB under his name only.

Your father has the right to transfer money out from the joint savings account to fund his securities account. So tell me, your father goes online to trade shares and how can that be seen as you trading shares instead? Unless your father goes and tell everyone he is a puppet.

If your father is being questioned as to why he is trading shares, your father has every right to question back, why can't he trade shares when he did not sign any undertaking that he is not allowed to do so. Which goes back to the question that everyone got to know their legal rights and not to buckle under pressure.

earthyblue

Master Member
Reaction score
then too bad, employee of banks will usually have to sign an authorisation form from compliance to allow them to check on us.

like that can i tell my employer that this is basic right and i should not sign this form?

Check on you, YES.
but not check on your family members.
Distinguish your rights.

Sinkie

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Check on you, YES.
but not check on your family members.
Distinguish your rights.

Ehhh.. I also have to declare what trading accounts my family members holding, if needed, my family member portfolio is also must declared upon requested, I also know before my license get granted, all family members are checked, similarly for civil servants, all background are scanned..

Sorry but this is the hard truth if you want to join the finance sector..

Give you an example, any ipo placement i do I cannot allocate to my family member, but can I tell them it's their rights that they have the ipo placement?? These ipo are not discounted either but of course my family members do not need to declare when they buy sell but they will need I declare If request upon but that's when really big sai happened that required such big action

Last edited:

zippo1979

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Depends on your job scope and how much unfair advantage you can create.

If you can create significant unfair advantage, the restriction will apply to you and your extended family.

earthyblue

Master Member
Reaction score
Ehhh.. I also have to declare what trading accounts my family members holding, if needed, my family member portfolio is also must declared upon requested, I also know before my license get granted, all family members are checked, similarly for civil servants, all background are scanned..

Sorry but this is the hard truth if you want to join the finance sector..

Give you an example, any ipo placement i do I cannot allocate to my family member, but can I tell them it's their rights that they have the ipo placement?? These ipo are not discounted either but of course my family members do not need to declare when they buy sell but they will need I declare If request upon but that's when really big sai happened that required such big action

You see the thing is you declare to the "best of your knowledge". But if your family opens a security account and doesn't tell you, what can you declare?

That's why I reiterate the part on its being prohibited from the company, but not illegal. Illegal is a very serious allegation under the law of courts.
Company can accuse you of engaging in prohibited activity, but cannot accuse you of illegal activity.

Sinkie

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
You see the thing is you declare to the "best of your knowledge". But if your family opens a security account and doesn't tell you, what can you declare?

That's why I reiterate the part on its being prohibited from the company, but not illegal. Illegal is a very serious allegation under the law of courts.
Company can accuse you of engaging in prohibited activity, but cannot accuse you of illegal activity.

but what is the outcome when your Company accuse you of engaging in prohibited activity?

illegal activity = go jail + end of career
prohibited activity = end of career

what outcome do you want?

on the law, it is not illegal to be late for work or not reporting to work everyday, but it is a prohibited activity when it come to your term and condition of your employment contract, so do you tell your boss it is your rights to come to work at anytime you want or else you report police and sue your boss??

dont siao siao i tell you, the finance industry is very small and you cant hide anything, even if you pungsai in your pant one day, all these will be found up easily one, and fyi before you start a new job in a FI, when signing the pre-employment agreement, you need to sign a form to authorise your HR to conduct a pre-employment cross check, you have to declare all your working experience and all of your ex boss will receive a questionaire and form to fill in about your previous job performence and if working in FI is part of your job experience, then the cross check are even more stringent and detailed and allow them to check your record in MAS for any 'prohibited activies' too.

my first day of work was delayed for 1 month because of an internship i did in a FI, my record is more than 10 years and was archived in a warehouse and the authorised guy was in holiday.

but of course, it is your job your career, if you think you can just go to your boss and slam the table saying it is not illegal, then go ahead and destroy your career, i am a kia-si sinkie

Last edited:

earthyblue

Master Member
Reaction score
but what is the outcome when your Company accuse you of engaging in prohibited activity?

illegal activity = go jail + end of career
prohibited activity = end of career

what outcome do you want?

on the law, it is not illegal to be late for work or not reporting to work everyday, but it is a prohibited activity when it come to your term and condition of your employment contract, so do you tell your boss it is your rights to come to work at anytime you want or else you report police and sue your boss??

dont siao siao i tell you, the finance industry is very small and you cant hide anything, even if you pungsai in your pant one day, all these will be found up easily one, and fyi before you start a new job in a FI, when signing the pre-employment agreement, you need to sign a form to authorise your HR to conduct a pre-employment cross check, you have to declare all your working experience and all of your ex boss will receive a questionaire and form to fill in about your previous job performence and if working in FI is part of your job experience, then the cross check are even more stringent and detailed and allow them to check your record in MAS for any 'prohibited activies' too.

my first day of work was delayed for 1 month because of an internship i did in a FI, my record is more than 10 years and was archived in a warehouse and the authorised guy was in holiday.

but of course, it is your job your career, if you think you can just go to your boss and slam the table saying it is not illegal, then go ahead and destroy your career, i am a kia-si sinkie

Seriously, please go and read up on the difference of classification of illegal activity and prohibited activity.

Non-declaration is not an illegal activity. You just have to get this straight into your fearful mindset. Your company can only accuse of engaging in activity which is prohibited. But they cannot accuse you of engaging in illegal activity. If till this part, you still cannot tell the difference, you deserve to be screwed by any companies you work in.

Criminal breach of trust is illegal and can be charged in court.
Sexual harrasment is illegal and can be charged in court and jailed.
Non-declaration is not illegal. It will just get you out of your job. No companies can sue you for non-declaration as an illegal activity committed by you.

You can be kiasi, but do not instil the wrong stuff onto others and make them think what they did is illegal when it isn't so.
Many a times, people forgo their basic rights just because of fear instilled onto them.

Last edited:

Sinkie

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Seriously, please go and read up on the difference of classification of illegal activity and prohibited activity.

Non-declaration is not an illegal activity. You just have to get this straight into your fearful mindset. Your company can only accuse of engaging in activity which is prohibited. But they cannot accuse you of engaging in illegal activity. If till this part, you still cannot tell the difference, you deserve to be screwed by any companies you work in.

Criminal breach of trust is illegal and can be charged in court.
Sexual harrasment is illegal and can be charged in court and jailed.
Non-declaration is not illegal. It will just get you out of your job. No companies can sue you for non-declaration as an illegal activity committed by you.

You can be kiasi, but do not instil the wrong stuff onto others and make them think what they did is illegal when it isn't so.
Many a times, people forgo their basic rights just because of fear instilled onto them.

-> I'm glad you recognize this fact above that engaging in prohibited activity will "get you out of your job"

If you are in the military service, engaging in prohibited activity not only get you out of your job, but also into detention barrack

But you havent answer my question yet

Do you go to your boss and tell him it's your rights and choice to report to work anytime you want because it's not illegal activity?? Or tell them its your rights to attend major shareholder meeting? Or tell them its your rights to not report to work without applying leave?

Copying or bringing in reference material or peeping at other answer in the exam hall are prohibited and is not an illegal activity sounds simple now?

If your answer to the above are yes, then I rest my case and apologize to you and deserve to get screwed

Last edited:

MikeDirnt78

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

why are you trying to emphasise the difference? whatever the classification is, it can just cost you a career.

earthyblue

Master Member
Reaction score
Do you go to your boss and tell him it's your rights and choice to report to work anytime you want because it's not illegal activity?? Or tell them its your rights to attend major shareholder meeting? Or tell them its your rights to not report to work without applying leave?

Copying or bringing in reference material or peeping at other answer in the exam hall are prohibited and is not an illegal activity sounds simple now?

If your answer to the above are yes, then I rest my case and apologize to you and deserve to get screwed

You have digressed too far out. If you looked back the past postings, it all started when someone said you can do anything illegal you want, but don't get caught which was in relation to the topic on opening another security account.

My answer was opening another account which was not declared is not illegal. No company can sue you for illegal activity, because non declaration by itself is not illegal. So if any company threatens you with that, you have a case to stand up and fight.

Don't act like a small child and say what if you are late and tell your boss you can turn up anytime and said it's not illegal. If you can't determine what actions are illegal and what actions are not illegal but prohibited, do go and read up. And at the same time, ask your HR department to reorganize their employee handbook.

earthyblue

Master Member
Reaction score
why are you trying to emphasise the difference? whatever the classification is, it can just cost you a career.

Different classification got different meaning

Engaging in illegal activity not only cost you your job, but also land you in jail with a criminal record.
But engaging in an activity which is prohibited would only land you a letter of termination + damages (if any)

No one can suka suka slapped any form of wrong accusations on anyone without determining the extent and seriousness of the actions involved.

Sinkie

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
You have digressed too far out. If you looked back the past postings, it all started when someone said you can do anything illegal you want, but don't get caught which was in relation to the topic on opening another security account.

My answer was opening another account which was not declared is not illegal. No company can sue you for illegal activity, because non declaration by itself is not illegal. So if any company threatens you with that, you have a case to stand up and fight.

Don't act like a small child and say what if you are late and tell your boss you can turn up anytime and said it's not illegal. If you can't determine what actions are illegal and what actions are not illegal but prohibited, do go and read up. And at the same time, ask your HR department to reorganize their employee handbook.

i dont know who was the one who suggested opening a joint account to go round the problem and to push the limit of that fine line between prohibit and illegal and testing the system by sueing employers if get caught?

in the first place, you shouldnt have suggested that solution and then throw a smoke bomb too and saying its is your basic rights.

Use your father or mother's name to open a joint USD current account in SCB. Then based on this, ask them to open an online trading account to trade.

the outcome of losing your job and never be able to find another job in the finance industry could be far worst than landing in jail

i suggest again you dont try to act smart and misled other, nobody can sue you for suggesting something that cost their job, but surely i hope you can sleep soundly at night too.

Last edited:

MikeDirnt78

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i dont know who was the one who suggested opening a joint account to go round the problem and to push the limit of that fine line between prohibit and illegal and testing the system by sueing employers if get caught?

in the first place, you shouldnt have suggested that solution and then throw a smoke bomb too and saying its is your basic rights.

just give up on him. yes this guy is good at throwing smoke bombs. remember his US and SG market analogy in making money? :s13:

athletic91

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is there any way I can trade from my iPhone ? Safari keeps going to the mobile version of the web that don hav e online trading feature

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.