Starhub 1Gbps Fibre Review

vsvs24

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Went to StarHub shop to return the cableTV box from homehub. As the cableTV cancellation takes an hour to take effect, I left the shop and waited for the CSO to call me back. The sign up for broadband was done over the phone with the CSO. Existing ONT is being used.
Thanks for the info. The sign up for broadband offer is through 1630 sales hotline ?

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
How is the Nokia Beacon II with WiFi 6 mesh router given by StarHub?

If you can spend more, opt for the Linksys mesh router will be better option.
I recently recontract and opt for the Linksys router, next week they will come to setup.
I hope it perform well as many review site say the MX4200/AX4200 is a good router.

I am still using the aging Linksys EA8100 so time to retire it.

https://www.tomsguide.com/reviews/linksys-velop-ax4200

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
How is the Nokia Beacon II with WiFi 6 mesh router given by StarHub?

That is an interesting development. I think Starhub has heard enough complaints about the lousy Nokia Beacon 1 (AC1200) and choose to upgrade to Nokia Beacon 2 (AX1800).

Unfortunately I do not see any meaningful reviews in the Internet (including Youtube). It will be great to see reviews of the Nokia Beacon 2 here. Hopefully it will be significantly better than Nokia Beacon 1.

Gloom me

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, this might be a stupid question.

My contract with VQ will be ending and thinking to switch to Starhub.
For their broadband plans, can I opt to use my own router instead of their provided Linksys one?

Because during sign up, there is an appointment that they will come setup the router? If I opt to use my own router, I just let them go ahead and setup the Linksys after that then I switch to my own router?

Thanks.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, this might be a stupid question.
My contract with VQ will be ending and thinking to switch to Starhub.
For their broadband plans, can I opt to use my own router instead of their provided Linksys one?
Because during sign up, there is an appointment that they will come setup the router? If I opt to use my own router, I just let them go ahead and setup the Linksys after that then I switch to my own router?
Thanks.

Yes. They need to come down to install and activate the ONT.

If you get the Nokia Beacon 1/2 or Linksys MX4200 router from them they are supposed to set up the router for you as well. They will carry out speedtest as well (using Starhub's own testing site).

After that you can change to your router.

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Many people are not aware of the new Nokia Beacon 2. Can user share a simple review here?

gld998

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I so jelly, 13yrs with starfags fiber I got zero free router. time to change provider. Fags u starhub!

Last edited:

MaoZeDuo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
This seems to be pretty decent if compared to other ISPs like Singtel and M1.
Linksys MX4200 now requires top up of $12 or $288 one time. Is it recommended to just go for the free Nokia beacon 2, sell it and buy other mesh separately (any recommendations)? Btw, am looking to change from M1 500gbps and looking to get a mesh system (wired backhaul).

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Linksys MX4200 now requires top up of $12 or $288 one time. Is it recommended to just go for the free Nokia beacon 2, sell it and buy other mesh separately (any recommendations)? Btw, am looking to change from M1 500gbps and looking to get a mesh system (wired backhaul).

In that case just go with Starhub 500Mbps and choose the mesh solution based on your budget.

Since you can use Ethernet backhaul, dual band mesh solution will be good enough, for example Asus RT-AX56U/RT-AX58U/RT-AX82U (depending on your budget) + RT-AX55 combination is decent.

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes if get Linksys it has three wifi bands so it should be able to cover your need unless you are living in big house. For those living in small flat, the free Nokia beacon 2 is already MX1800 and should be ok for most users living in small flat. May not be necessary to buy own router.

MaoZeDuo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
In that case just go with Starhub 500Mbps and choose the mesh solution based on your budget.

Since you can use Ethernet backhaul, dual band mesh solution will be good enough, for example Asus RT-AX56U/RT-AX58U/RT-AX82U (depending on your budget) + RT-AX55 combination is decent.
I'm sticking with M1 as I was of the wrong impression that their 500mbps was discontinued (received promo to recontract under 1gbps). However, I think I will do a router upgrade and consider your suggestion. Have some questions but will ask in another thread that is more appropriate.

Last edited:

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i bought off in caraohell at 60 bnib..
They gave you the free router but you sold it off and then you said never got any free router. Actually the Linksys EA8100 is good enough to do the job (for most users) and it is free. It is much better than the Nokia beacon 1 and one unit of beacon 2. Till today i am still using it and there is wifi coverage within the whole place with no dead spot at all. I can work from home without issue with this router. Sell at $60 may as well use it for your home network and do not need 3rd party router. Unless you are living in big house or landed house then a better wifi mesh router is required. Forget about Nokia beacon 1 la.

Last edited:

gld998

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
They gave you the free router but you sold it off and then you said never got any free router. Actually the Linksys EA8100 is good enough to do the job (for most users) and it is free. It is much better than the Nokia beacon 1 and one unit of beacon 2. Till today i am still using it and there is wifi coverage within the whole place with no dead spot at all. I can work from home without issue with this router. Sell at $60 may as well use it for your home network and do not need 3rd party router. Unless you are living in big house or landed house then a better wifi mesh router is required. Forget about Nokia beacon 1 la.
i buy it at 60 n using now.. not sell.. starhub ti gong.. btw why u so supporting of starhub? Must not be loyal as it doesnt pay. Zero promo benefits

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i buy it at 60 n using now.. not sell.. starhub ti gong.. btw why u so supporting of starhub? Must not be loyal as it doesnt pay. Zero promo benefits
I do not know why they treat you like that. They gave me the Linksys EA8100 and I got 4 months free for my homehub 1G and many people got it. I read the promotion here so i asked Starhub for it and they gave it to me la. Do not know what is wrong. I read HWZ to keep myself updated of the promotion. Honestly a few years ago i feedback to Starhub to suggest the use of android TV box instead of old fibre TV box and i suggested to bundle Netflix to the Homehub plan. Recently i also suggested to bundle TVB anywhere to Asian+. Now it is no longer the old SCV la. Now the new second generation starhub TV+ box let user watch starhub channels and android app with the bundled app. User can also add in their preferred app like Viu or HBO GO at their own cost. It give user the flexibility of taking up their own app and it also moved user to 4K video streaming instead of just FHD. Even Mewatch also have some 4k shows (eg. tipping point in 4k). Before this box was launched, no way user can watch 4k video with Starhub TV box and most of us already have 4k TV la.

Last edited:

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I do not know why they treat you like that. They gave me the Linksys EA8100 and I got 4 months free for my homehub 1G and many people got it. I read the promotion here so i asked Starhub for it and they gave it to me la. Do not know what is wrong. I read HWZ to keep myself updated of the promotion. Honestly a few years ago i feedback to Starhub to suggest the use of android TV box instead of old fibre TV box and i suggested to bundle Netflix to the Homehub plan. Recently i also suggested to bundle TVB anywhere to Asian+. Now it is no longer the old SCV la. Now the new second generation starhub TV+ box let user watch starhub channels and android app with the bundled app. User can also add in their preferred app like Viu or HBO GO at their own cost. It give user the flexibility of taking up their own app and it also moved user to 4K video streaming instead of just FHD. Even Mewatch also have some 4k shows (eg. tipping point in 4k). Before this box was launched, no way user can watch 4k video with Starhub TV box and most of us already have 4k TV la.

The Starhub android which I also have is very interesting.
However few issues I notice first is whenever I go back home it will show the SH logo
meaning it is resyncing.

Another thing I noticed if I switch to another network port, the channels must sync
again. Not sure anyone here tried the box in a room using WIFI connection,
it can connect but nothing on the screen.

Not sure why it have wifi connection but cannot use it? Must use LAN to authenticate the box?
This new box is better than the old one but few issues I noticed.
Not to mention the remote control texture feel cheap that it can wear out in the future.

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The Starhub android which I also have is very interesting.
However few issues I notice first is whenever I go back home it will show the SH logo
meaning it is resyncing.

Another thing I noticed if I switch to another network port, the channels must sync
again. Not sure anyone here tried the box in a room using WIFI connection,
it can connect but nothing on the screen.

Not sure why it have wifi connection but cannot use it? Must use LAN to authenticate the box?
This new box is better than the old one but few issues I noticed.
Not to mention the remote control texture feel cheap that it can wear out in the future.
No problem just need to call support when the remote wear out as this box is on rental and belong to Starhub. Yes if you change the network port it will have to sync again to get back all the info. You do not need to keep changing the port. The good about this box is any extra box is just $5+ each and not as costly as the old fibre TV box which is $20+ each. When signing up if they do not want to provide the free router, just report that the existing free router is not working well after so many years of use and request them to replace it with their new free router.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.