Starhub 1Gbps Fibre Review

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Currently I am on M1 500Mbps. Most of the time even on weekends, I am getting 430ish Mbps on my mobile devices which are situated in the same room as the router. May be I can check again at 6pm.

As to the transfer speed, I think it really depends on,
1. The router,
2. how far you are from it,
3. any obstructions between your device and router,
4. how much network interference in the neighbourhood,
5. your mobile device.

So results may vary. Best way to test if the ISP is throttling your connection is to use a wired connection.
Ok, so I tested today close to 6pm, and I am getting 390 Mbps up, and 430 Mbps down.

s7460597

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
went down to starhub westgate earlier! they have confirmed that their cheapest 1gb plan is $39.90! To downgrade you need to pay an admin charge of $3x...

to terminate, you need to return them that ONT fibre optics device!

Anyone got cheaper alternatives?
Recontracted week or so ago with starhub 1gb 24 months $39.90 - 3 months free. Need to call 1630. Not available at outlet or online.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For those who need a dual 1Gbps plan, the offer from Starhub is pretty good.

https://www.starhub.com/personal/broadband.html
Enjoy 12 months of Disney+ on us!

2Gbps Broadband at a special offer price of $54.90/mth! Save over $192 with this limited-time offer. Plus, FREE StarHub Smart WiFi Pro worth $399!
Actually this discount is quite similar to the SHSWITCH code where you get first 3 months free. In my opinion, the 1+1Gbps deal from Starhub is really quite attractive, especially if one can sell off the mesh router for a reasonable sum, then can cover back even more $$ per month.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes, just double confirmed. Price stays at $29.90 if do nothing.

Yes Starhub usually keeps the same pricing of S$29.9 per month for 500Mbps plan after contract expires. My contract expired last September. It is written in the contract.

In fact a few lucky guys got the free upgrade to 1Gbps at S$29.9 per month.

But for those special offer like free 1Gbps Internet with Fibre TV, or special pricing like S$27.9 per month, then the out of contract pricing is usually higher, normally it will be written in the service agreement.

Phoooey

Reaction score
went down to starhub westgate earlier! they have confirmed that their cheapest 1gb plan is $39.90! To downgrade you need to pay an admin charge of $3x...

to terminate, you need to return them that ONT fibre optics device!

Anyone got cheaper alternatives?
The cheapest 1gbps plan now is $29.90.

Some get it upfront with no equipment no 1GB per month SH SIM card.

Some got offered a variation of the $29.90 effective price with the 6 months free and 18 months at $39.90 offer. Free Nokia Beacon and 1GB per month sim.

Best price ever was the $19.90 1gbps plan.

147-D307-F-3396-48-B7-BA68-2-CFAD8-D3053-C.jpg

If terminate to change provider or downgrade plan, either way need to pay $30 + $2.10 (GST) Termination Fee or Downgrade Fee

th3pr0

Reaction score
thinking of signing up for the 2gbps plan with the linksys MX4200/AX4200.

just want to check if any one have any issue/complain for this router?

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
thinking of signing up for the 2gbps plan with the linksys MX4200/AX4200.

just want to check if any one have any issue/complain for this router?
I think there are reviews on this mesh out on the web. I read that its decent, but being a dual band mesh system, so its not going to break any records. The ratings on the respective e-sellers like Amazon, Best Buy, etc, are quite good. I've also signed up the 2Gbps plan, but I don't think I will be keeping the MX4200 in favour of my current Asus/ Mesh setup.

th3pr0

Reaction score
I think there are reviews on this mesh out on the web. I read that its decent, but being a dual band mesh system, so its not going to break any records. The ratings on the respective e-sellers like Amazon, Best Buy, etc, are quite good. I've also signed up the 2Gbps plan, but I don't think I will be keeping the MX4200 in favour of my current Asus/ Mesh setup.

i read that its a tri band? but not the high end kind

item2sell

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Starhub 1Gbps offer me 4 months free for 24 months contract.

Effective $35.75.

Don't seem very attractive to me. Currently I paying $19.90

azeris10

Reaction score
Anyone having issues with StarHub fibre on weekends noon? Sometimes to the point where 4k Dis+ and Netflix doesn’t work

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Effective $35.75.

If there is no need for you to change/ renew contract, then just stick with your current plan. The problem is when you are forced to renew contract, unfortunately, you will need to adhere to the new pricing. I hesitated about signing up with Starhub for their fibre service I think its earlier this year, and when I decided to do it, they have increased their OCBC promotion price from 35.90 to 45.90.

SecretAgent

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes, just double confirmed. Price stays at $29.90 if do nothing.

mine previously is $27.90 for 2yrs contract.. once up it increases to $39.90. I go ask and request to recontract but they say no. The guy at starhub shop says this will be the cheapest at the moment for 1gb liao..

I'll just hold on to it currently.. he says no more contract.. can terminate anytime. See down the road got any fair or promotion then I jump to the cheapest one!

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Effective $35.75.

So looks like you have a special promotion price and please check your contract. Most likely the out of contract price will be higher and possibly even at S$39.9. If that is the case, maybe you want to recontract.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
mine previously is $27.90 for 2yrs contract.. once up it increases to $39.90. I go ask and request to recontract but they say no. The guy at starhub shop says this will be the cheapest at the moment for 1gb liao..
I'll just hold on to it currently.. he says no more contract.. can terminate anytime. See down the road got any fair or promotion then I jump to the cheapest one!

It seems to me anything less than S$29.9 is a special promotion price (including free 1Gbps broadband with Starhub Fibre TV conversion last time for Cable TV subscribers), and usually the out of contract price is S$39.9 per month.

But there may be exceptions.

I know there are lucky people who have S$29.9 1Gbps out of contract price in this thread.

I am fine with my S$29.9 out of contract price for my 500Mbps Starhub Fibre internet plan myself.

lunatic_tokyo

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Appreciate if you can assist to answer my queries.

Currently considering to setup a mesh network with various smart devices connection(e.g. bulbs, laptops, tv, soundbar.. control via wifi)

Consideration for broadband:

1) New Broadband Plan (considering Starhub 2GB purely for Linksys Velop router mx4200/Ax4200)

2) Another alternative will be 1GB Plan and pair it with TP-Link X20 (3 hub set):

2a) for third party router, is it just plug and play by replacing starhub OG router will do?

2b) is there any web or software configuration requirement?
not a IT savvy person, so appreciate ur help on this.

Connection and setup:

1) preferred ethernet cable connection (backhaul) to TV and Soundbar in living room.

2) wireless connection for lights, computer and all other rooms.

Currently within the DB box are fibre pt and Ethernet ports hardwired to all rooms.

Router and ONT connection via physical wiring:

1) is it connect ONT/ONR to Main router, then connect main router to switch. Thereafter all ethernet port for various location can be connected to the switch directly?

Assuming 1 x Linksys MX4200 router inside DB box:

- with 1 MX4200 is it enough to cover entire house ? Wireless for MBR and other room.

- is there a way to place the main router in the living room beside placing it in the DB box beside the ONT?

Assuming 3 x TP-Link X20(2 ethernet port on X20):

1) 1 x X20 router inside DB box >> Switch >> all room ethernet port connected to Switch.

2) Second X20 placed in living room >> connected to wall ethernet port and Directly to 2nd switch >> connect to TV and Sound bar

3) third X20 connected to MBR wall ethernet port >> all device this zone will be on wifi.

Which will be the most efficient coverage and value for money setup.
Thanks in advance.

Apex

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Appreciate if you can assist to answer my queries.

Currently considering to setup a mesh network with various smart devices connection(e.g. bulbs, laptops, tv, soundbar.. control via wifi)

Consideration for broadband:

1) New Broadband Plan (considering Starhub 2GB purely for Linksys Velop router mx4200/Ax4200)

2) Another alternative will be 1GB Plan and pair it with TP-Link X20 (3 hub set):

2a) for third party router, is it just plug and play by replacing starhub OG router will do?

2b) is there any web or software configuration requirement?
not a IT savvy person, so appreciate ur help on this.

Connection and setup:

1) preferred ethernet cable connection (backhaul) to TV and Soundbar in living room.

2) wireless connection for lights, computer and all other rooms.

Currently within the DB box are fibre pt and Ethernet ports hardwired to all rooms.

Router and ONT connection via physical wiring:

1) is it connect ONT/ONR to Main router, then connect main router to switch. Thereafter all ethernet port for various location can be connected to the switch directly?

Sound Ok. ONT/ONR > Router > SWitch > ethernet port for various location

Assuming 1 x Linksys MX4200 router inside DB box:

- with 1 MX4200 is it enough to cover entire house ? Wireless for MBR and other room.

Inside DB box will reduce the Signal. Too hard to guess if the WIFI signal can cover the whole house. 2.4ghps maybe yes and weak signal.

- is there a way to place the main router in the living room beside placing it in the DB box beside the ONT?

Some HDB has 2 LAN ports in Living room.

ONT / Router > Connect Living Port 1 [Sent OUT from DB] > Router WAN > Router LAN 1 > Living room Port 2 [Sent back to DB] > Switch > ethernet port for various location

- living room Port 1 Carry the internet
- Living room Port 2 carry the network back to DB so that u can provide data to switch + ethernet port for various location

Assuming 3 x TP-Link X20(2 ethernet port on X20):

1) 1 x X20 router inside DB box >> Switch >> all room ethernet port connected to Switch.
Look OK.

2) Second X20 placed in living room >> connected to wall ethernet port and Directly to 2nd switch >> connect to TV and Sound bar

If both TV and sound bar can go on WIFI I don't see a need for 2nd switch and LAN cable to TV and sound bar. (More cable , more dust and messy). Unless the 2nd X20 provide damn lousy Wifi signal.

If DB box and living room nearby, The TV and sound bar should be able to connect to 1st X20.

3) third X20 connected to MBR wall ethernet port >> all device this zone will be on wifi.

Which will be the most efficient coverage and value for money setup.
Thanks in advance.
Look ok too.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.