Starting TrueNAS Core/TrueNAS Scale for New Users

croc1977

Banned
Reaction score
1) You need to select the folder (mount point) when creating the SMB share and when you map the network drive (on Windows), it automatically points to the folder in TrueNAS. Do check out the video on creating SMB share.
2) I don’t use DLNA. From what I know you can enable DLNA on the “Emby” plugin if it is still available on the “community” plugin.
so what you use to play video files from nas on TV or PS4 or media player?

TanKianW

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
so what you use to play video files from nas on TV or PS4 or media player?

Hardware side, I use Nvidia Shield and Nvidia Shield Pro.

At NAS side, I just create a SMB/NFS share, then play using Kodi.

In the past I use Plex, but recent years just solely on Kodi playing over SMB/NFS share since it works well for me, even for 4k HDR content.

irlyneedhalp

Reaction score
Thanks TanKianW for all the consolidated info, really useful for me as I'm starting my first NAS.

I have a quick question on the below part

Recommended setup of TrueNAS core system:
1) *Host the TrueNAS server to be access externally through (https) using HAProxy and Let's Encrypt certificate function of pfsense. OR a VPN server on pfsense such as OpenVPN.
Read the thread here to learn more:

May I know if I follow the steps provided here, I do not need a static IP from ISP? Thanks!

TanKianW

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks TanKianW for all the consolidated info, really useful for me as I'm starting my first NAS.

I have a quick question on the below part

Recommended setup of TrueNAS core system:
1) *Host the TrueNAS server to be access externally through (https) using HAProxy and Let's Encrypt certificate function of pfsense. OR a VPN server on pfsense such as OpenVPN.
Read the thread here to learn more:

May I know if I follow the steps provided here, I do not need a static IP from ISP? Thanks!

You need to subscribed/register for a DDNS if you do not have a static IP. You can can read up on how the Dynamic DNS (DDNS) works. DuckDNS is free.

FYI, Asus routers also provide (their own) free DDNS registration.

You also need to check if you are on CGNAT. If I am not wrong, it will not work.

Last edited:

irlyneedhalp

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. Can I just clarify, you mean if I'm on CGNAT, then the method will not work even if I have DDNS?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. Can I just clarify, you mean if I'm on CGNAT, then the method will not work even if I have DDNS?

Only MyRepublic is fully on CGNAT. Then you pay S$50 one time charge to get static IP.

VQ no router 500Mbps/1Gbps also use CGNAT, avoid them anyway. Still it is said that you can pay to get Static IP as well.

Last edited:

irlyneedhalp

Reaction score
Ok thank you TanKianW and xiaofan for the info, hopefully the ISP I'm using (Starhub) doesn't switch to CGNAT anytime soon, will try out the DDNS method, thanks again!

TanKianW

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Update on Post #4

Torrenting using qbittorent on TrueNAS:
*This will be very straight forward. Just need to install the "qbittorent" community plugins, set a static IP address and port (8080) for the web GUI to access the controls. It works like any torrenting applications.
*Take note that you will need to port forward the torrenting port. And I will recommend to turn on encryption. *If you are using pfsense, below are instructions for port forwarding:

The qbittorrent plugins:
KBhDe2N.jpg

The qbittorrent Web config:
zgJVyWc.jpg

Changing the mount point of a plugin:
*(Recommended) You might want to set the download folder away from the JAIL (iocage) folder by mapping the mount point onto another created folder. Eg. qbittorrent_jails. You can change the mount point by selecting the mount point on the plugins and edit the mount points.
*Take note that you can only change the mount point when the plugins are "STOP"
VUViv2y.jpg

HomeNAS = name of your NAS
qbittorent_jails = name of your JAILS
qbittorent_files = Dataset created to house and organise your downloads map from the JAILS download folder.
*Take note that plugins in TrueNAS was installed in "JAILS" away from the main file folders.
Code:
Destination from: 
/mnt/HomeNAS/iocage/jails/qbittorent_jails/root/Downloads

Source mount to:
/mnt/HomeNAS/qbittorrent_files

Last edited:

TanKianW

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Update in Post #1

APC UPS proven to work with TrueNAS which could be bought easily off-the-shelf
i) I will recommend all NAS owners to connect their TrueNAS system to a UPS even though ZFS is a very resilient file system. Try to get the "multi-socket" UPS so you do not need to use an adaptor.
ii) As I always says, you may not cause the power to trip but your spouse may just trip the whole house power with an oven switch!:s22:
iii) You do not need the UPS to run for very long, but long enough for it to initiate a proper shut down.
iv) To work with your TrueNAS to initiate a proper shut down, it must have a communication port which either comes with a USB or a serial port. Most APC BACK-UPS with USB port will have proper driver support on TrueNAS Core.

Lower Capacity (may be suitable for 1-2 NAS units):
APC Back-UPS BX700U-MS
KlcofAS.png

Higher Capacity for (may be suitable for 1-2 NAS units and a pc):
APC Back-UPS BX1400U-MS
o4xZ8NH.png

*Will be covering topics on "Snapshots", "Rsync" and "Replication" in my next update.

Last edited:

croc1977

Banned
Reaction score
Yap. Preferably both with same capacity.

Possible Scenario to put it to use:
One of my current system is running on SSD as main boot, USB drive as back-up boot. I experienced an instance where my BIOS failed to boot from the SSD due to a cable fault (OR could be a corruption to boot disk) after an update reboot. During that situation, I can choose to boot into the USB drive to ensure that all my data is fine before start trouble-shooting from there.
my main os is 128gb ssd but i think use less than 16gb .....

but i place a 16gb flash drive doesn't work

vb7NuLm.jpg
[/IMG]

so i have to buy a 128gb flash drive for this to work?

nashii

Reaction score
Suggestion for TrueNAS build

Hi,

i am planning to build DIY NAS using trueNAS also.
I have several questions after reading your post.

Case:
  • Silverstone DS380 (https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=452)
    ==> using SFX PSU easier to replace
    ==> not sure about the space is it too cramped ?
  • OEM Truneas ( like yours)
    ==> seems bigger than DS380
    ==> using flex PSU, not easy to find replacement in case faulty

which one do you think is better ?

MOBO+ CPU:

with C3758D4I-4L, we can add more SSD for L2ARC and ZIL if needed. but will it have significant impact if we add this ?
the purpose of NAS is i want to be able to edit photo and video ( in the future) directly from NAS by adding 10GBe NIC

if i go with C236 WSI , the maximum RAM will be 32 GB, and when requirement of trueNAS is 8GB and 1GB per 1TB storage. will that be sufficient ? ( plan to use >=8 TB x 8)

will there be any significant performance difference for above mobo + cpu option ? ( i would prefer to go with cheaper option if it does not add any significant benefit)

I saw you have configuration :
1vdev 8 disk raidz2 and 2vdev 4 disk raidZ.
how was the read and write performance for those two configuration ?
I would prefer 2vdev 4disk as I can start using 1vdev as a start.

Thank you..

Last edited:

TanKianW

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
my main os is 128gb ssd but i think use less than 16gb .....

but i place a 16gb flash drive doesn't work

vb7NuLm.jpg
[/IMG]

so i have to buy a 128gb flash drive for this to work?

The drive you mirror your OS drive to, should be the same or bigger capacity. Actually I recommend using SSD for both. I only use thumb drive as boot for my old system.

There is another solution, not really recommended. You can installed your OS onto the thumb drive, then mirror to it to your SSD. Then go BIOS to boot from the SSD.

Last edited:

TanKianW

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi,

i am planning to build DIY NAS using trueNAS also.
I have several questions after reading your post.

Case:
  • Silverstone DS380 (https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=452)
    ==> using SFX PSU easier to replace
    ==> not sure about the space is it too cramped ?
  • OEM Truneas ( like yours)
    ==> seems bigger than DS380
    ==> using flex PSU, not easy to find replacement in case faulty

which one do you think is better ?

MOBO+ CPU:

with C3758D4I-4L, we can add more SSD for L2ARC and ZIL if needed. but will it have significant impact if we add this ?
the purpose of NAS is i want to be able to edit photo and video ( in the future) directly from NAS by adding 10GBe NIC

if i go with C236 WSI , the maximum RAM will be 32 GB, and when requirement of trueNAS is 8GB and 1GB per 1TB storage. will that be sufficient ? ( plan to use >=8 TB x 8)

will there be any significant performance difference for above mobo + cpu option ? ( i would prefer to go with cheaper option if it does not add any significant benefit)

I saw you have configuration :
1vdev 8 disk raidz2 and 2vdev 4 disk raidZ.
how was the read and write performance for those two configuration ?
I would prefer 2vdev 4disk as I can start using 1vdev as a start.

Thank you..

Casing:
Both casing are tight fit but I find the OEM case easier to work on. As for PSU, SFX is easier to get, but FLEX-ATX is not too hard too. You want a good quality PSU with Gold rating, SFX PSU is a good choice. Do take note that the airflow of both cases are not fantastic. Therefore, I recommend higher airflow silent fans like Noctua’s.

Mobo+CPU:
The reason I went with a C236WI is because I am running VMs and Atom is a bit too weak. Xeon is a better choice. I prefer non-embedded system, reason being motherboard usually up lorry first. So if I chose embedded, motherboard up lorry, CPU up lorry too. 32GB to me is enough. If you only use it plainly as a NAS and you want L2ARC, then the Atom embedded system is good enough for your video editing. You should also max up the RAM.

*You might be asking if I use C236, use up all the 8x SATA, how I configure the boot drive with insufficient SATA connector? Well, I use 2x USB3.0 to SATA connector (from Ugreen) to connect my 2x 2.5” SSD (120GB) mirror boot drive. I also converted an internal 2x USB3.0 connector to 2 female USB3.0 type A connector (bought from Taobao).

Setup:
I think 1x pool, 2x vdev (1 now, 1 in the future), each vdev at RAIDZ, suits your need really well. Do read up on servethehome website on the set up for L2ARC. You should not create too big an L2ARC coz it will also utilise your memory. There is an optimised RAM(ARC) to L2ARC ratio.

Last edited:

TanKianW

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Some requested me to share on the practical connectors/expansion cards which I use for building my rack setup and DIY NASes (for reference only). Hope this will help:

USB type A to power 2x 4pin case fan connectors. Good for powering case fans to improve airflow in your rack cabinet.
mP28Z3t.jpg

USB-A to 2.5" SATA convertor. When you run out of SATA ports. (For boot drive only)
3UdwY3l.jpg

Mainboard Internal USB3.0 to 2x female USB3.0. When you run out of SATA ports. (For boot drive only)
vYBnYsR.jpg

A trusty 2x 10G SFP+ NIC from 10Gtek X520-DA2
W5ZlwbF.jpg

OR Chelsio 2x 10G SFP+ T520-CR - One of my favorite! (Take note that due to its length, it will not fit into Silverstone DS380)
L1onZER.jpg

Last edited:

croc1977

Banned
Reaction score
The drive you mirror your OS drive to, should be the same or bigger capacity. Actually I recommend using SSD for both. I only use thumb drive as boot for my old system.

There is another solution, not really recommended. You can installed your OS onto the thumb drive, then mirror to it to your SSD. Then go BIOS to boot from the SSD.
canot have ssd for both.....itx board only one m2 slot

most likely i go to buy another 128gb thumbdrive..

don't want to resinstall...alot of my data already intact in my raid drive

TanKianW

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
canot have ssd for both.....itx board only one m2 slot

most likely i go to buy another 128gb thumbdrive..

don't want to resinstall...alot of my data already intact in my raid drive

You using NVMe M2 SSD? Btw, you can convert it to 3-5x SATA with a simple adaptor, if you need more SATA ports.
t37S6pm.jpg

The good thing about TrueNAS is that you can mix the drive in any order, or even replace the boot drive, the RAID setup and pools will still be intact. You just need to attach back the pool to a current/new system.

Feel free to read here:
https://www.truenas.com/docs/hub/initial-setup/storage/pools/

Last edited:

croc1977

Banned
Reaction score
k529OpF.jpg

any idea why i can't run any program through my nas now? i already set permission to full control

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.