Syfe REIT+

Brown24

Reaction score
I made a comparison for REIT+ vs Lion Phillip S REITS vs NIKKO AM REITS.
Seems like Syfe REIT+ is just a subset of Lion Phillip S REITS.
So what is the biggest advantage of REIT+ over Lion S REITS?

Reaction score

Does this help :O

qUXWiQm.jpg

Starmaster

Master Member
Reaction score
I made a comparison for REIT+ vs Lion Phillip S REITS vs NIKKO AM REITS.
Seems like Syfe REIT+ is just a subset of Lion Phillip S REITS.
So what is the biggest advantage of REIT+ over Lion S REITS?

if u do the traditional etf buying method you:
you cannot effectively do dollar cost average monthly with small sums
you cannot auto reinvest dividends
everytime you buy/sell , u incur trading fees
fees are higher for etf due to other misc fees embedded within the etf structure

Brown24

Reaction score
if u do the traditional etf buying method you:
you cannot effectively do dollar cost average monthly with small sums
you cannot auto reinvest dividends
everytime you buy/sell , u incur trading fees
fees are higher for etf due to other misc fees embedded within the etf structure

Thanks!

So let me summarize:
Pros:
1) enable DCA with small sum
2) no brokerage fees on buy and sell
3) capable to reinvest dividend
4) slightly lower management fees vs TER of ETF (Depends on which tier)

Cons:
1) Risk of Syfe quit from market for long term investment?

Okenba

Master Member
Reaction score
This is moderate risk according to their website (same as their global portfolio DR 15%).

See the first link i posted again. It can go 100% reits too. Its dynamic. Now it has 24.5% in A35 probably because it detected increased risk (wuhan?)

I don't think there is different risk levels for the reits portfolio. As in, you can't choose to be more aggressive or defensive. They just have 1 portfolio which dynamically rebalances, whatever that means.

I find it weird as it seems inconsistent with what they offer for global equities. I believe they have 3 risk levels for that. Not just 1 which is dynamically rebalanced.

No account with Syfe though. May just open one to look inside...

assiak71

Master Member
Reaction score
I don't think there is different risk levels for the reits portfolio. As in, you can't choose to be more aggressive or defensive. They just have 1 portfolio which dynamically rebalances, whatever that means.

I find it weird as it seems inconsistent with what they offer for global equities. I believe they have 3 risk levels for that. Not just 1 which is dynamically rebalanced.

No account with Syfe though. May just open one to look inside...

Yes there is only 1 level for reit+. And i meant to say that 1 level is moderate level, which for the global portfolio is DR 15%. Just saying. See the second link. "Moderate risk"

Global portfolio is not just 3 levels. There are 11. 5% to 25% in 2% steps

I dont have syfe acc (yet). All the info i gathered is from their website. See the second link i posted. Thats the inside of reit+

Last edited:

s0crates

Reaction score
2 key risks:

1. Risk of increased interest rates.

We all know what happens to reits and bond prices when interest rate rises. These 2 asset classes are very positively correlated.

2. When this REIT+ portfolio crash, everyone want to bail out, you probably will also be forced to bail out.

The reits and bonds are not held by you. If syfe goes out of business or if too many people pull out you will probably be forced to liquidate your position.

Brown24

Reaction score
For Syfe, do they provide monthly statement on what they bought for us? Like what Stashaway have in their monthly statement

limster

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
A lot of REITs have rights issues/ placement shares and individual investors can apply excess that is basically 'free money' because the excess shares are at a lower price than market price. You can check out the various REITs threads to see you can get quite a lot of excess. You can't do that with ETF or Syfe.

Since i'm on SCB PB 0.18% comms and no min comm, its quite easy for me to rebalance my 10 REIT holdings (down from 12 due to mergers...). REIT lovers should consider trying to get SCB PB so that you can manager your own REIT fund.

assiak71

Master Member
Reaction score
A lot of REITs have rights issues/ placement shares and individual investors can apply excess that is basically 'free money' because the excess shares are at a lower price than market price. You can check out the various REITs threads to see you can get quite a lot of excess. You can't do that with ETF or Syfe.

Since i'm on SCB PB 0.18% comms and no min comm, its quite easy for me to rebalance my 10 REIT holdings (down from 12 due to mergers...). REIT lovers should consider trying to get SCB PB so that you can manager your own REIT fund.
What if theres rights issue after you pass away and your beneficiaries are not financially literate?

Sai777

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Depending on what type of investors you are. For passive and no headache, this is low cost small sum and pretty low risk

For those who can mange their reits, there are less than 7 quality reits to manage. For a concentrated portfolio the return is higher. One can even leverage with margin, play the rights and merger. The return sure beats STI

Sai777

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What if theres rights issue after you pass away and your beneficiaries are not financially literate?

Not too sure if your qns is relevant to the topic.

If family members are not financial literate, they could just sell everything and spend the money.

If really want to protect family members, there are many instruments out there to do so

hellfire88

Reaction score
2 key risks:

1. Risk of increased interest rates.

We all know what happens to reits and bond prices when interest rate rises. These 2 asset classes are very positively correlated.

2. When this REIT+ portfolio crash, everyone want to bail out, you probably will also be forced to bail out.

The reits and bonds are not held by you. If syfe goes out of business or if too many people pull out you will probably be forced to liquidate your position.

1. Interest rates are typically cut (not raised) by central banks during market turmoil to catalyse economic expansion and increase liquidity in the market.

2. Interest rate increases (which typically coincide with improving economic fundamentals) can actually be beneficial for REITs as it can result in increased rental earnings.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/greats...ship-status-with-interest-rates/#631910762603

assiak71

Master Member
Reaction score
Not too sure if your qns is relevant to the topic.

If family members are not financial literate, they could just sell everything and spend the money.

If really want to protect family members, there are many instruments out there to do so

Its not specific to syfe reit+ but more of having a local robo/managed portfolio makes it easier for beneficiaries to take over and continue to have it managed. What if your beneficiaries are neither financially nor IT literate?

But of course you miss out on things like excess rights.

Think the key point is the cost of the robo/managed portfolio, and whether you think you can do better on your own. Currently syfe reit+ is the lowest for reits, which makes it worth considering.

Last edited:

MikeDirnt78

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks!

So let me summarize:
Pros:
1) enable DCA with small sum
2) no brokerage fees on buy and sell
3) capable to reinvest dividend
4) slightly lower management fees vs TER of ETF (Depends on which tier)

Cons:
1) Risk of Syfe quit from market for long term investment?

Cons
2) This is an actively managed fund. Bonds and Reits allocation are changing. There is no guarantee that the fund can beat the index.

Nikko Straits Trading Reit ETF is still a good recommendation. Best is to DCA with FSM.

Brown24

Reaction score
Cons
2) This is an actively managed fund. Bonds and Reits allocation are changing. There is no guarantee that the fund can beat the index.

Nikko Straits Trading Reit ETF is still a good recommendation. Best is to DCA with FSM.

I did consider Nikko but too many junk REITS inside and no cleansing process (or I not aware of).

Captain89

Reaction score
Does the bonds part in the portfolio comprises of SSB? If so, is it alot %?

assiak71

Master Member
Reaction score
Can anyone find the factsheet of FTSE ST Real Estate Investment Trusts Index ? I cant find it, there used to be last time

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.