TCL or PRISM?

yeowboon

Reaction score
I using tcl 49 inch full hd for $399. Value for money. Full hd is good enuff, cos no 4k broadcast in sg, only netflix and youtube can watch in 4k. 😁

Hihi, you bought the 49 inch @ $399 from Giant supermarket? Any idea if there is still promo for this?

8-lane

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I using tcl 49 inch full hd for $399. Value for money. Full hd is good enuff, cos no 4k broadcast in sg, only netflix and youtube can watch in 4k. ******************

But I read in reviews that if the 4K engine in a 4K tv is good... it will be able to upscale the 480p, 720p or 1080p of the video to 4K or near-4K quality so not neccessary that u have to play 4K content in order to enjoy 4K or near-4K clarity/sharpness... I dunno how true is this though cos we're still using FHD led tvs in our home...

Last edited:

incubus07

Reaction score
I using tcl 49 inch full hd for $399. Value for money. Full hd is good enuff, cos no 4k broadcast in sg, only netflix and youtube can watch in 4k. 😁

this $399 model and price no longer available right> i only see the $499 one now

bigbadber

Banned
Reaction score
I can vouch for what is said here.

I have problems with my Prism too

last time my Netflix will suddenly show static, then crash.

whats annoying is, the tv silent auto reboots. you wont know it unless you can see the standby light going off. after a few mins, it will turn off by itself and the standby light will come on again.

what was weird is, one time i saw it being left on for a whole 10 mins, yup, I counted the time.

silent reboot -> the tv is on, but the screen is off. if you press the power button on the remote, the tv picture (ch5/CNA) instantly comes on without showing the Prism+ logo. this confirms that the TV is turned on.

if you have plugged your tv using ARC to some speaker or sound system, it will also turn on due to the TV's auto reboot.

you know what's funny? the auto reboot happens every 8 hours on the dot. ie, 3 times a day. sometimes the timing gets disrupted or reset and changes to another timing if i do a factory reset or turn off the main switch etc....

I have seen someone commenting on these issues and I also replied on the customer's comment. after a few days, that comment got deleted.

Im on the verge of asking for a refund. but i dont know what TV to get

their replies to my emails have been prompt and they reply me well, with good info and options given. yes their QC is lacking, but their customer support (thru email) is splendid for me so far.

Last edited:

wenyao

Reaction score
I hear Prism+ unable to watch MeWatch. is that true?

For TCL 49/55, can download app for MeWatch? TCL buy where cheaper? Also looking at $500 budget.

yeowboon

Reaction score
I hear Prism+ unable to watch MeWatch. is that true?

For TCL 49/55, can download app for MeWatch? TCL buy where cheaper? Also looking at $500 budget.

TCL play store can’t download mewatch, need to side load into it. U can buy it from giant supermarket or shopee/lazada app

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Try Philips or Panasonic. They are not expensive now a day.

stillgottheblues

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
TCL is good, the upscaling is better than my old Sony. (maybe due to tech advances thru time)

MoyoCase

Banned
Reaction score
TCL is good, the upscaling is better than my old Sony. (maybe due to tech advances thru time)
if i not wrong in the early part of the decade, there were no upscaling tvs, only 1080p Capable. means the sd content plays as it is without upscaling

upscaling came with the appearance of 4k Tvs

do u have any pictures to show yr TCL

MoyoCase

Banned
Reaction score
But I read in reviews that if the 4K engine in a 4K tv is good... it will be able to upscale the 480p, 720p or 1080p of the video to 4K or near-4K quality so not neccessary that u have to play 4K content in order to enjoy 4K or near-4K clarity/sharpness... I dunno how true is this though cos we're still using FHD led tvs in our home...

First the tv has got have this specialized CPU or engines to upscale. if the TV doesnt , then it just displays watever it is fed with. In the early part of last decade . the advertising always says 1080P capable, 4K capable. it means it doesnt upscale, if iam not wrong. Just liek a regular PC monitor, displays whatever source quality fed into it.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.