The Contact Lenses Thread

warhunter

Reaction score
I think I better visit a reliable optometrist to advise on it. Any recommendations? Read from your previous post, you recommended your friend, jiasheng at yew tee mrt(The point optical)
Do the health check and lens fitting comes free if I purchase the CLs provided I recieved adequate advices?

Of cos it's not free. If consultation for contact lenses is free, it's approx 30min per consultation. I wouldn't even sell contact lense. Singaporeans are not prepared to pay for eye care, that's why the service u get from optometrists are all of substandard. Singaporeans are cheap. In my opinion. My friend left. We are all waiting for enlistment.

Your problem could be due to fitting or even the solution. Get an optom to check on it and advise u appropriately. Check their green card. Make sure that they are optometrists or contact lens practitioners and not NORMAL opticians. This way if u get an eye infection u are legally protected.

warhunter

Reaction score
erm i just had a change of lens brand. using ciba vision now i quite like it. however its for monthly use lah. been wearing contact lens since i was primary 5 :s13: :s13: so i was worried my eyes are too dry so i had a checkup recently at IMM's optical 88. they gave me a pair of lens for sample. its good :) :)

What lens did they recommend u? Did they do a health check on ur eyes? Did they do a lens fitting? (inserting lenses in ur eye and check the fitting behind a device that shines bright light at u). If not ur recommendations were equivalent to a sales pitch.

Last edited:

warhunter

Reaction score
hey there, sorry for late reply...yeah this is the one...cant tell u much abt the price coz haven been comparing other brands since the switch.

Young people nowadays don't know how to listen. Solutions are also supposed to be recommended by optometrists. Not here ONLINE. Some solutions may be overly absorbed into the lens and released when the wearer places the lens on the eye.

e3l1s5

Reaction score
warhunter is rite.make sure the optometrist does an eye check & lens fit if purchasing contacts for the first time.

my own experience:1st time buy contacts,the shop owner just checked my degree & then asked me to come back the next day to collect.no lens fit or other eye check as warhunter suggested...had some problems like eye irritation & lens dropping out frequently

2nd time buy contacts,decided to try another shop...this time,the whole process took about 30-45mins.the optometrist did an eye check & found some abrasion on my left eye.sample lens was also given for me to wear after which she proceeded to check the fit....yet to collect the lens but the service was good unlike the 1st shop which seem rather haphazard..

theguy1991

Reaction score
Sure enough, I will be visiting a optical shop at Jurong Point soon for advices on contact lens fitting though I already bought 6 months worth of CLs supply. But eyes care are more important. Looking at Pearl's Optics or Optic Point.

So, if they don't do a proper eyes check and fitting for me, I just deny them?

Last edited:

warhunter

Reaction score
warhunter is rite.make sure the optometrist does an eye check & lens fit if purchasing contacts for the first time.

my own experience:1st time buy contacts,the shop owner just checked my degree & then asked me to come back the next day to collect.no lens fit or other eye check as warhunter suggested...had some problems like eye irritation & lens dropping out frequently

2nd time buy contacts,decided to try another shop...this time,the whole process took about 30-45mins.the optometrist did an eye check & found some abrasion on my left eye.sample lens was also given for me to wear after which she proceeded to check the fit....yet to collect the lens but the service was good unlike the 1st shop which seem rather haphazard..

Not only for first time. It is required every time u change a lens type. When u go back to replenish ur lens supply, only a health check is required. This checks is not a matter of whether u want it or not. It is required by the law to do such checks and document it in case of any discrpencies or accidents.

theguy1991

Reaction score
Not only for first time. It is required every time u change a lens type. When u go back to replenish ur lens supply, only a health check is required. This checks is not a matter of whether u want it or not. It is required by the law to do such checks and document it in case of any discrpencies or accidents.

Do the people even go to such extent to offer these services? Normally what I see when one wants to replenish, they just buy and go...

Last edited:

warhunter

Reaction score
Do the people even go to such extent to offer these services? Normally what I see when one wants to replenish, they just buy and go...

like what i said, singaporeans are too cheap for such services.
What singaporeans expect: Good service, free eye checks, nothing wrong with the eye.
What problems we encounter as optometrists: Patients expect us to provide 30 min of FREE eye checks, expects nothing wrong. How can you expect nth to go wrong IF YOU REFUSE TO GET YOUR EYES FULLY CHECKED before getting contact lenses.

If you patients expects nth to go wrong with contact lenses, you must first have the responsibility to ask for such services. If anything goes wrong, YOU PAID FOR THE SERVICE and you can expect better follow ups. Its a mutual thing. you refuse to pay, get substandard service. I myself do checks for every patient that come for contact lenses. No issues with them as of now.

theguy1991

Reaction score
like what i said, singaporeans are too cheap for such services.
What singaporeans expect: Good service, free eye checks, nothing wrong with the eye.
What problems we encounter as optometrists: Patients expect us to provide 30 min of FREE eye checks, expects nothing wrong. How can you expect nth to go wrong IF YOU REFUSE TO GET YOUR EYES FULLY CHECKED before getting contact lenses.

If you patients expects nth to go wrong with contact lenses, you must first have the responsibility to ask for such services. If anything goes wrong, YOU PAID FOR THE SERVICE and you can expect better follow ups. Its a mutual thing. you refuse to pay, get substandard service. I myself do checks for every patient that come for contact lenses. No issues with them as of now.

Full eye checks can be carried out at the optical shop or? I don't mind paying, I only have a pair of eyes. But is the price steep?

I think such things are demanded for by the customers instead of being first offered by the optometrists. Therefore not much people know they need to do an eyes check. Correct me if I am wrong... Of course whether the customers buys it or not is another question.

Having said that, what should I expect/demand for the coming visit to the optical shop for contact lens advices?

Last edited:

warhunter

Reaction score
Full eye checks can be carried out at the optical shop or? I don't mind paying, I only have a pair of eyes. But is the price steep?

depends on individual optometrists. check out with your own optom. The problem with Singapore, is that there is no law to control price on healthcare. thats why there is no fixed price for such healthcare services. More has to be done to rally for a fixed price system for eye care like the ones in australia. Benefits both the patients and optometrists. Patients do not have to worry about illegal market operators that give free and substandard eyechecks to patients.

theguy1991

Reaction score
depends on individual optometrists. check out with your own optom. The problem with Singapore, is that there is no law to control price on healthcare. thats why there is no fixed price for such healthcare services. More has to be done to rally for a fixed price system for eye care like the ones in australia. Benefits both the patients and optometrists. Patients do not have to worry about illegal market operators that give free and substandard eyechecks to patients.

Any range for me to prepare on how much to pay? :)

warhunter

Reaction score
Any range for me to prepare on how much to pay? :)
depending on optoms can range from 20-60 bucks for BRANDED OPTOMS. Those in orchard clinics. lol branded optoms if you think its worth, you can give it a try, but dun worry, most optoms get their license because they got their diploma from SP.

some upgraded and grad from prestigious UK and AUS unis. While some have a USA degree usually part time. because USA grad optoms are usually O.Ds (doctors of optometry) but those that grad from the part time are bachelors and masters of optometry. Im not saying its not good but at least check their registration certificate or card.

e3l1s5

Reaction score
if u let them check ur eyes & proceed to buy contact lenses from the shop,i think there will be no extra charges for the check...tt was the case with me.i only paid for the cost of the lens.there was no extra charges levied on me.they also helped me change the nosepads of my specs FOC.....

however,the shop assistant told me clearly before the check tt if after the eye check,i decide not to purchase contact lenses from them,there will be a charge for the eye check.....

warhunter

Reaction score
if u let them check ur eyes & proceed to buy contact lenses from the shop,i think there will be no extra charges for the check...tt was the case with me.i only paid for the cost of the lens.there was no extra charges levied on me.they also helped me change the nosepads of my specs FOC.....

however,the shop assistant told me clearly before the check tt if after the eye check,i decide not to purchase contact lenses from them,there will be a charge for the eye check.....

Are you sure your eye check include a eye health check and lens fitting?

e3l1s5

Reaction score
Are you sure your eye check include a eye health check and lens fitting?

i tink so....what constitutes a eye health check?.....the procedure i went thru was like this....firstly w/o wearin specs,sat in front of machine with bright light shining at ur eyes.then told to look in different directions while she examined...next,put on sample lens then went back to machine.again,was told to look at different directions while she examined.....after tt,did the usual procedure of reading the letters off the screen while she adjusted to a degree which i could read clearly....

warhunter

Reaction score
i tink so....what constitutes a eye health check?.....the procedure i went thru was like this....firstly w/o wearin specs,sat in front of machine with bright light shining at ur eyes.then told to look in different directions while she examined...next,put on sample lens then went back to machine.again,was told to look at different directions while she examined.....after tt,did the usual procedure of reading the letters off the screen while she adjusted to a degree which i could read clearly....

This only constitutes to a contact lens fitting. A full eye check would take around 45 mins to check your eye health history, eye health, pressure, retina, etc. all must be documented.

Reaction score
This only constitutes to a contact lens fitting. A full eye check would take around 45 mins to check your eye health history, eye health, pressure, retina, etc. all must be documented.

oohh nv had a contact lens fit b4. din know this is how it is like.

e3l1s5

Reaction score

oh ok.thanks for the heads up.i dun tink she checked all of those u mentioned...but i was told there were some abrasions on my left eye probably due to previous contact lens wearing....i will ask the optometrist more about the eye health check when i collect...

warhunter

Reaction score
oh ok.thanks for the heads up.i dun tink she checked all of those u mentioned...but i was told there were some abrasions on my left eye probably due to previous contact lens wearing....i will ask the optometrist more about the eye health check when i collect...

A health check is supposed to be the base of all other tests in optometry. Under the law, we optometrist ARE LIABLE to do a basic eye health check if our equipment allows us to. IF NOT we MUST REFER patients to other optometrists or ophthalmologist to do a base check on the eye health BEFORE any glasses or contact lenses can be give. All records must be documented and recorded for future reference.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.