The Gazania and The Lilium

diminishin

Reaction score
So Lilium and Gazania are really bad properties? A property agent was trying to steer me towards these two. Agent cited the upcoming HDBs and alkaff lake as development opportunities in this area. Does this mean agent not trustworthy ? I was anyway never gonna consider these two due to size and layouts.
Depends if you are buying for own stay or investment? If buying for investment, bad idea..

googoogaga

Reaction score
Depends if you are buying for own stay or investment? If buying for investment, bad idea..
I am buying for own stay. Looking at 10y to 15y horizon for staying.
But is there a difference? Other than say getting 2bd for investment vs 4bd for own stay? People buying for own stay would still want their property to appreciate with the market right?

diminishin

Reaction score
I am buying for own stay. Looking at 10y to 15y horizon for staying.
But is there a difference? Other than say getting 2bd for investment vs 4bd for own stay? People buying for own stay would still want their property to appreciate with the market right?
Yes of course. Everyone wants their property to appreciate..But the problem is own stay usually have alot more criterias and end up the unit that they like is not the type that will appreciate

googoogaga

Reaction score
Yes of course. Everyone wants their property to appreciate..But the problem is own stay usually have alot more criterias and end up the unit that they like is not the type that will appreciate
My criterias are nearby a primary school, spacious layout with no wasted space, 4br, quiet but still walkable to MRT and amenities, v good communal facilities and area within the condo. And lastly Some avenue for future appreciation potential. Either Enbloc or upcoming further development potential for the area.
Wouldn't these be the same as a good investment unit as well.

Maybe can advise on what is the criteria for a good investment unit?

Oftheseas

Reaction score
My criterias are nearby a primary school, spacious layout with no wasted space, 4br, quiet but still walkable to MRT and amenities, v good communal facilities and area within the condo. And lastly Some avenue for future appreciation potential. Either Enbloc or upcoming further development potential for the area.

My recommendation for you with great 4-bedders :
Thomson Grand - newer, higher psf & quantum. Good facilities.

Gardens at Bishan - older, can still appreciate, best layout, great facilities.

Bishan Park Condo - old but enbloc potential, lowest psf but few 4-bedders.

All 3 are within 1 km to both St Nick and Ai Tong, 300m-500m to Bright Hill mrt.

wacko

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score

All 3 are within 1 km to both St Nick and Ai Tong, 300m-500m to Bright Hill mrt.
for these 2 schools, if no sibling already in the school, or not alma mater, it will be a significant gamble to get in....

googoogaga

Reaction score

Thank you for your recommendations. While I am not targetting these schools (boy and not Chinese) your suggestions brings another important question I had. Leasehold vs Freehold for 15+yr properties. I notice that leaseholds generally don't appreciate much from 15yr onwards. And due to lease decay wouldn't they depreciate in the 20 to 30 yr period? Isnt it better to get freehold for older properties?

Oftheseas

Reaction score
for these 2 schools, if no sibling already in the school, or not alma mater, it will be a significant gamble to get in....
Yes, it’s not guaranteed. But at least you stand a chance to ballot. If outside 1 km, can forget it.

You also have AMK Pri, Mayflower as backup in phase 2C.

Oftheseas

Reaction score
Thank you for your recommendations. While I am not targetting these schools (boy and not Chinese) your suggestions brings another important question I had. Leasehold vs Freehold for 15+yr properties. I notice that leaseholds generally don't appreciate much from 15yr onwards. And due to lease decay wouldn't they depreciate in the 20 to 30 yr period? Isnt it better to get freehold for older properties?
LH resale I suggest get less than 10 years old, unless the location is very good and/or future development such mrt/biz hub. Gardens at Bishan psf increase 30% in the past 4/5 years despite its lease from 1996.

In your case, you might want to consider Park Colonial or Tre Ver. There’s a good mix of 5/6 schools within 1 km. Avon Park next door and some Potong Pasir condos are FH.

NiShiZhu

Banned
Reaction score
Haha ! I know your second sentence is definitely not what you believe.

Try buy nearby Bartley Vue.
Why u sexpose me? :(
But honestly, giving candid feedback does not mean that person cannot afford or is salty or has ill-intention. After all, most of us has only one to at most two bullets and if we don’t evaluate each projects critically, then what’s the point of having a truthful discussion here.

Gibbfa

Reaction score

I think you can consider d10 and d11 older developments.

Clazav

Reaction score

St nick and ai tong even if 1km from the school, the chance is still low than 50% if you are not in the earlier phase.
These condos are pretty old too.

Clazav

Reaction score

Lilium is within 1km to plmgs and Maris Stella. These 2, without the earlier phase, the chance is above 50%.

Oftheseas

Reaction score
St nick and ai tong even if 1km from the school, the chance is still low than 50% if you are not in the earlier phase.
These condos are pretty old too.
Yes, most parents who wanted this 2 schools will try to get into one of the earlier phases and use this distance to avoid balloting.

Thomson Grand only TOP in 2015, pretty old ? And would you prefer their 4-bedders at 1500/1600 sqft or a newer unit at only 1200 sqft ?

NiShiZhu

Banned
Reaction score
Yes, most parents who wanted this 2 schools will try to get into one of the earlier phases and use this distance to avoid balloting.

Thomson Grand only TOP in 2015, pretty old ? And would you prefer their 4-bedders at 1500/1600 sqft or a newer unit at only 1200 sqft ?
Err…will choose the newest unit even at 980sqft for a 4 bedder.
house warming is a very important part in property purchase.

Last edited:

NiShiZhu

Banned
Reaction score
What if your guests could not find two of the bedrooms during the house tour ?

They thought one of them is a storeroom and another one is walk-in wardrobe !
Err, just lock the bedroom door and say one room your maid is inside while the other room your dog is inside.
Direct your guests to the balcony, usually more spacious there. :(

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.