The Hair Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hyoboy24

Reaction score
I'm using Sebastian's crude clay now, but I bought the Sebastian craft clay and it is so hard to scoop it up, while the top surface seems more of a liquid texture. is this normal or should I get another type of clay? =)

turnerdhr

Reaction score
While he was very knowledgable about the my hair and texture, the end product was not done satisfactory.

ok... roger that...

i mean... i am a serious hair aficionado.... i am in Paris now for 6 months and have translated like 60 forum pages from French to English to find a Jap stylist here in Paris that is good.... so i found one... and she was not too bad.... good skills but cut a little too much.... so i understand your pickiness on who cuts your hair...

MookieTea

Reaction score
I'm using Sebastian's crude clay now, but I bought the Sebastian craft clay and it is so hard to scoop it up, while the top surface seems more of a liquid texture. is this normal or should I get another type of clay? =)

Try pressing the clay down then scoop. That's what i do, and yeah its hard to scoop it up. :o

orc_exp

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Okay cool thanks! Think I tried Soga-san 2 years ago,wasnt that satisfied either.

what kind of hair cut are you specifically looking for? My Hair stylist is pretty good[japanese one] but ur standard like abit high :s22::s22:

OtahSeller

Reaction score
what kind of hair cut are you specifically looking for? My Hair stylist is pretty good[japanese one] but ur standard like abit high :s22::s22:

Haha, i realised someone would say this once i talked about Soga-san
its not really that high, just dont want it to be puffy or frizzy and have a nice shape.

If Im not wrong, Soga-san haircut did not suit my face or too short. The cut would have been good on other ppl facial features but not mine.

As for Jonathan, despite demonstrating his wealth of knowledge, the end result was not good at all. My hair was still very puffy, the movement he created was not really significant and he made blunt ends at my fringe and sides and back. Its probably he had different taste and found this style nice(I also noticed he uses Caucasian hairstyle as a base which I dont like most of their hairstyles) but it really didnt do it for me.

I realise I sound very critical and I was not expecting much from Jonathan (just wanted a presentable decent cut), but I may have been better off before cutting (and I left my hair for abt 4 mths)

philipsony

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
read this thread back when i was sec4, now poly year 3
last time bros here recommend yang yang, so stick to her till now but lately abit sian
when she cut and style its nice nice
but the thing is she str8en and blow the hair nicely which is not my hair in natural state, once daily wake up go school the hair like cui

anyone can recommend some other places? max budget 35
perhaps someone that can cut base on the way my hair(in natural state)is that suit me face

arcturuz

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
last time bros here recommend yang yang, so stick to her till now but lately abit sian
but the thing is she str8en and blow the hair nicely which is not my hair in natural state, once daily wake up go school the hair like cui

perhaps someone that can cut base on the way my hair(in natural state)is that suit me face

i used to cut by yang yang for around a year or 2, but she quite difficult to book, so i sian and give up on her

fireflame

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
what is kenaris salon number? they don't have their own website? i am thinking of booking jonathan. so far seems so many people here recommend him

Hahahehe

Reaction score
Hmm I've heard from some people that justin @ shunji is pretty decent as well. Anyone has had any experience with him in terms of style and technique? Basically I'm in a dilemma between jonathan and justin since both charge around the same price (correct me if I'm wrong though!).

philipsony

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i used to cut by yang yang for around a year or 2, but she quite difficult to book, so i sian and give up on her

oh i duno, for since i start going to cut by her i became regular
so every month she will sms me ask me for haircut
of cos, shes in fact helping herself because she alway give me sat , 730pm which is the last slot for the day, this help her to schedule her customer's slot

how do u find her cutting ur hair?

Haonan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Haha, i realised someone would say this once i talked about Soga-san
its not really that high, just dont want it to be puffy or frizzy and have a nice shape.

If Im not wrong, Soga-san haircut did not suit my face or too short. The cut would have been good on other ppl facial features but not mine.

As for Jonathan, despite demonstrating his wealth of knowledge, the end result was not good at all. My hair was still very puffy, the movement he created was not really significant and he made blunt ends at my fringe and sides and back. Its probably he had different taste and found this style nice(I also noticed he uses Caucasian hairstyle as a base which I dont like most of their hairstyles) but it really didnt do it for me.

I realise I sound very critical and I was not expecting much from Jonathan (just wanted a presentable decent cut), but I may have been better off before cutting (and I left my hair for abt 4 mths)

In terms of japanese hairstyles, I'm not too sure what's your exact requirements w/o showing a picture, but puffy look can actually be re-created easily with the right hair-drying techniques plus right amount of wax + hairspray, and frizzy look is more about the texture look of your hair, in all honesty I don't like my hair to be too soft first thing in the morning which is why I will never use conditioner in the morning after shampooing, I prefer my hair to have some kind of dryness/frizzy effect-look in it in order for me to create the style I want, the correct hair-drying method must be used for this and I think this point was also touched on before by original threadstarter Ryoshi before in the first few pages of this thread actually, IIRC.

For Monso salon, last time when I was still visiting there most of the time my visits were handled by Ejima-san actually, it was only after he left for JP then I tried out Soga-san, so I can't really feedback on how well Soga-san's skills is, since I only tried letting him cut once. He's really not too bad IMO, but of course given the pricing I would still prefer to let Ejima-san or Hisato from Shunji to cut my hair. Unfortunately as explained in my prev post, because Hisato-san is more busy now in Indonesia, it's hard for me to grab hold of him so I rely on Nashiki-san now. (which seems to be alright for me currently)

Certain japanese style cuts needs a certain length in order to achieve it, if your hair is too short no matter what kind of hairstylist you engage, it would be uber hard to pull it off. Also I think I might get flamed for this, but w/o the suitable face shape and possibly dressing style, I'm afraid some hairstyles may just not be suitable for you to carry off, no matter how good they seemed to look in those japanese hair mags that you originally conceive the idea from.

If you find it considerably hard to bring forward or communicate with your own stylist in terms of the style you desire, you may wish to bring along a picture in your mobile phone or a magazine that has the style you want, usually it will be much more effective in bringing across what you want, to the hairstylist. I think I have mentioned this before, but I do still read and collect Fineboys +Plus Hair Mook, and occasionally I do bring this mag along to show Hisato or Nashiki whenever visiting for my hair appts even though I can converse pretty comfortably in basic japanese, as this magazine has the exact instructions for in terms of how to cut/re-create those desired hairstyles covered in it, including the meticulous cutting instructions for how much to trim the hairlength for top and back in terms of centimetres. (quite crucial IMO if you are going for a proper layered look)

My 2 cents. :)

OtahSeller

Reaction score
In terms of japanese hairstyles, I'm not too sure what's your exact requirements w/o showing a picture, but puffy look can actually be re-created easily with the right hair-drying techniques plus right amount of wax + hairspray, and frizzy look is more about the texture look of your hair, in all honesty I don't like my hair to be too soft first thing in the morning which is why I will never use conditioner in the morning after shampooing, I prefer my hair to have some kind of dryness/frizzy effect-look in it in order for me to create the style I want, the correct hair-drying method must be used for this and I think this point was also touched on before by original threadstarter Ryoshi before in the first few pages of this thread actually, IIRC.

For Monso salon, last time when I was still visiting there most of the time my visits were handled by Ejima-san actually, it was only after he left for JP then I tried out Soga-san, so I can't really feedback on how well Soga-san's skills is, since I only tried letting him cut once. He's really not too bad IMO, but of course given the pricing I would still prefer to let Ejima-san or Hisato from Shunji to cut my hair. Unfortunately as explained in my prev post, because Hisato-san is more busy now in Indonesia, it's hard for me to grab hold of him so I rely on Nashiki-san now. (which seems to be alright for me currently)

Certain japanese style cuts needs a certain length in order to achieve it, if your hair is too short no matter what kind of hairstylist you engage, it would be uber hard to pull it off. Also I think I might get flamed for this, but w/o the suitable face shape and possibly dressing style, I'm afraid some hairstyles may just not be suitable for you to carry off, no matter how good they seemed to look in those japanese hair mags that you originally conceive the idea from.

If you find it considerably hard to bring forward or communicate with your own stylist in terms of the style you desire, you may wish to bring along a picture in your mobile phone or a magazine that has the style you want, usually it will be much more effective in bringing across what you want, to the hairstylist. I think I have mentioned this before, but I do still read and collect Fineboys +Plus Hair Mook, and occasionally I do bring this mag along to show Hisato or Nashiki whenever visiting for my hair appts even though I can converse pretty comfortably in basic japanese, as this magazine has the exact instructions for in terms of how to cut/re-create those desired hairstyles covered in it, including the meticulous cutting instructions for how much to trim the hairlength for top and back in terms of centimetres. (quite crucial IMO if you are going for a proper layered look)

My 2 cents. :)

Hi, thanks for your comments. I understand what you mean and that is why I personally think I do not look good with certain hairstyles that may deemed "fashionable/cool" such as Nakata's famous short crop.

I understand if you feel I am having unrealistic expectations that are impossible to be met [I mean I have already written off 2 highly recommended hairstylists (Soga-san was highly rated a few years ago)]
Fortunately, Komachi hairstylists have done well.
Unfortunately, Komachi now is very different from when Maeda set it up.

Interesting point about your Fineboys+Plus Hair Mook, I used to show pictures a long time ago, maybe I should go get a copy. They still can be found at Kinokuniya?

Once again thanks for your opinion and feedback:)

turnerdhr

Reaction score

yes, my cut when i finally got yang yang was the most anti-climax experience ever. all the hype FOR NOTHING...! she is so arrogant and i feel sorry for her because there are so many great young stylists in Singapore today....

philipsony

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
sigh, seriously need to look for another stylist, any recommend ? budget 35 buck

MookieTea

Reaction score
Hi, has anyone tried pomade before? Was wondering how is it compared to wax/gel. :s13:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.