The Hair Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kampong boi

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
dun anyhow 'shushu' me! i still very much below 30 years old!

i have the osis gum too but can't hold in this humidity leh. even with hairspray it collapses within half a day. but got to admit its a pretty good product!

your age around like beta tester :(

My hair cut by Su at Kobayashi. So far no issues leh. I just show her pictures, she see my head shape then press press abit and say my head and hair can.

I thought you only cut mullet? that hairstyle is quite simple, so hard to go wrong.

x3dnd3x

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I thought you only cut mullet? that hairstyle is quite simple, so hard to go wrong.

Actually you're wrong. I've tried alot of hairstylist and some i would say end up cut until very chui. Imo, the curve up shape and middle must be equal. If not equal, you'll end up looking very cui.

dj_flame

Reaction score
I have cut at clover before, best is the manager Keida who charge $38, but if you go on peak period, your cut time will be mixed with others.
Make appointment first lah.

Nowadays don't use Kleida anymore, b/c his rates went up. I don't like paying $38 for what is essentially trimming my sides and top every month.

Have switched to his "disciple", Edson, for $28 per cut over the past 4 months. He isn't as good, but he is good enough to get my hair right everytime. My last pic I posted was by Edson.

kampong boi

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Make appointment first lah.

Nowadays don't use Kleida anymore, b/c his rates went up. I don't like paying $38 for what is essentially trimming my sides and top every month.

Have switched to his "disciple", Edson, for $28 per cut over the past 4 months. He isn't as good, but he is good enough to get my hair right everytime. My last pic I posted was by Edson.

I did make an appointment and came on time, maybe the previous appointment overflow to mine. shall take note of Edson, is he the one with the tattoo? look a bit gangster?

the only down side of the salon is it is small and the air is filled with those thick aroma :s22:

but then $38 is the ceiling for the manager is quite good already, now Koba's Yumiko up rank, don't know got up price or not.

I saw your nick mentioned in some hair review sites :D

anyway in general, some times people arrive too early for the appointment may cause the previous appointment to be rushed, at most come 5-10 minutes early or else go walk around, unless you walk pass the salon and your stylist is free then by all means go.

dj_flame

Reaction score
Edson is the friendly guy with the goatee. Aiyah ask for him next time if you want.

zish82

Reaction score
Next haircut bro.

B/c Imperial Classic pomade was so good, bought Fiber pomade today. Different experience, I can see Fiber being better for shorter hairstyles since it can not only do slickbacks and sideparts, but also messy bed heads and fauxhawks, if that's your thing. Fiber is also easier to apply thru dry hair compared to Classic.

The Imperial Barber pomades are great products. As mentioned by dj_flame, they are great for slickback and side parting and fauxhawks.

Cheers

zish82

Reaction score
ohh.. haha i am looking for sample to try first. later buy already don't like waste money. haha. pomade give the perfect side comb. lol like harvey specter in suits

We are launching sample size for order. Each container will be approximately 20ml and cost $12 for 3 samples. You can choose any 3 products for sample.

You can email us the samples you want at order@hairyportal.com

We will update our website and Facebook page soon.

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
We are launching sample size for order. Each container will be approximately 20ml and cost $12 for 3 samples. You can choose any 3 products for sample.

You can email us the samples you want at order@hairyportal.com

We will update our website and Facebook page soon.
Wow. Sample for any 3 products? Sounds good, can try pomade. Maybe can try imperial pomade and hdf quicksand

cwtan3322

Reaction score
Recommendation for hair products

Hi, I have been using gatsby wax and clay but I just think it is too hard to wash off. Any recommendation to what type of products to use that is scalp friendly as I have oily scalp. Short to medium hair, need to have good hold too. What product to use to have more volume and any spray for recommendation to use to hold my hair for the whole day? Sorry so many qns. Quite a noob.

cwtan3322

Reaction score
Hi, I have been using gatsby wax and clay but I just think it is too hard to wash off. Any recommendation to what type of products to use that is scalp friendly as I have oily scalp. Short to medium hair, need to have good hold too. What product to use to have more volume and any spray for recommendation to use to hold my hair for the whole day? Sorry so many qns. Quite a noob.

leejhong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

U can try 90 degrees x-strong wax (made of natural plants as ingredients) and saltwater spray to complement it further. With these two, its pretty much guaranteed that your hair will last you through the day itself. Pm-ed you too. Take a look. :)

dj_flame

Reaction score
Epic long post on hair up.

I got my hair trimmed on Mon, in prep for another haircut 4 weeks later for grad ceremony on the 25th. TBH Harvey Spector hairdo getting a bit too long and uncomfortable in this humidity, because I had to grow out my sides to slick them down. So I decided to really trim it down this time.

I used this pic for ref:
tumblr_mlgq29WANZ1r65bg6o1_500.jpg

but asked for the top to be shorter and not as thick. Couldn't be bothered to maintain thicker hair in the crazy heat, just wanted a simple british schoolboy side-swept haircut.

Styled my hair twice today, in the morning with Hairbond Distorter Clay, KMS seasalt spray and some locally made hairspray rec by my stylist. Went for a dry / matte tousled quiff.

@9am
Dryfront_zpsb73efb14.jpg~original

Dryside_zps8eb7b02e.jpg~original

For such a style, IMO the key is not to be too perfect, but look like you just spent a minute on your hair then out the door. After a few hours (and lots of wind blowing into my hairstyle) this is what it looked like:

@2:30pm
Dryhours_zps2d46b4bc.jpg~original

Yeah the sides were sticking out, but I like since it looks way more natural. Hold was slightly of an issue though, by late afternoon I had to consciously brush hair off my forehead and into place, but again small matter because I like to run fingers through my hair throughout the day.

As you can see, I got pretty good hair genetics. Yes, its Chinese, straight and coarse, but there is enough softness and slight natural texture / wave that I can style it w/o product overdose. FYI I always like to have girls run their fingers thru' my hair, usually get +ve comments. :D

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
looking good bro. can't agree more than singapore humidity is a problem for us, it breaks down the hold and the strong winds at times making it worse.

very hard to fully achieve the ref picture because we don't have natural coloured hair. haha

i am gonna try using pomade, anyway i am ordering from hairy portal for their imperial water classic pomade, 3 sample for $12, anyone wants to share? can choose anything from their range.

I will take 2 samples, left 1 more, pm me if you're interested to share.

dj_flame

Reaction score
Later I hit the gym @ 6pm, showered and left @ 8. I brought some Imperial Classic Pomade in my bag, so I went for a tighter, slicked down and side-part style.

sleekfront_zpsd8beba71.jpg~original

sleekside_zps15332e01.jpg~original

Didn't have my blow dryer so it wasn't as perfect as I wanted, since you can see stray hairs sticking out. Still decent enough. For sleeker styles I prefer to be as perfect as possible, no strays etc but can't always get what you want.

You can see that the later style has more of a shine and less volume. Will mostly rock this style for the office, the messy dry one for weekends.

So yeah 2 different products, 2 similar but different looks.

I would say to get the hairstyle you want please get the following:
  1. A blowdryer (not need so ex, I use a $29 one from Watsons)
  2. A decent hairbrush for shaping while blowdrying. Personally I use a brush with very wide, loose bristles for general shape, and follow up with another brush with very fine, densely packed bristles to shape stray hairs and touch up on the edges where the long strands are blended into the shorter ones. However, if you only can get one, get the denser brush
  3. A decent comb if you want a pomp, slick-back or side-part style. A good comb works wonders with pomade. I use Kent for both combs and brushes.

edit: The andrewdoeshair guy on youtube has a great video on how to blow dry. Go watch, I basically copy what he does.

Last edited:

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i usually rock side slick parting to work and some-sort of quiff (asian chinese hard to do quiff) during the weekends. maybe i can post my so called quiff when i have my next hair cut.

i usually uses a very normal brush and my hands to dry my hair, pushing it side ways.

i admit i got alot of stray hairs. damn sian, maybe this time round ask purple not to layer too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.