The Hair Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Genesisz

Master Member
Reaction score
Your hair texture is dry mainly because of your shampoo or perhaps you have been using wax like gatsby kind, hence it cause your hair to be dry. Perhaps you wanna grab some awesome shampoo from ThePrettyJerk:)

And btw, you can still use gold digger;)

My hair scalp is actually oily and thus I am still using Gatsby hair wax.

Genesisz

Master Member
Reaction score
I also got dry hair. The trick is to use conditioner first. Gold digger use abit can alr. Add a few drops of water will make it easier.

Pm me if interested. Or sms me 96927419

Thanks for your sharing and advice.

I will contact you.

leejhong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My hair scalp is actually oily and thus I am still using Gatsby hair wax.

Can try using seasalt spray to absorb the excess oils in the hair prior to styling with products such as wax/clay (Gold Digger for example). On a side note, Kanebo shampoo can help one by not only removing excess oils, but also to control it well enough too :)

netzach

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you've oily hair/scalp, go for Paul Mitchell Tea tree special shampoo. It'll solve your oily scalp. :)

deaththeorist

Master Member
Reaction score
Can try using seasalt spray to absorb the excess oils in the hair prior to styling with products such as wax/clay (Gold Digger for example). On a side note, Kanebo shampoo can help one by not only removing excess oils, but also to control it well enough too :)

How's the oiliness of ecco sss btw! Compare with OS sss tyvm! XD

leejhong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
How's the oiliness of ecco sss btw! Compare with OS sss tyvm! XD

Actually, i dont find seasalt spray being oily in any way. Perhaps its just me but i rate it based on dryness instead of oiliness. Because seasalt spray contains alcohol, it tends to dry the hair which i believe most people who use OS Fashion Sea Spray will not be unfamiliar with.

Aspect #1: Dryness (Subjective to say higher or lower the better)
Eco Seasalt Spray is definitely not as dry as OS Fashion Sea Spray. Not sure if its due to the concentration of alcohol used, but to be honest, the dryness of OS Fashion Sea Spray is fine to me all along. If you find OS Sea spray too dry, one can comfortably adjust the number of sprays the very next time. Personally, its precisely because of this approximate extent of dryness that allowed me to be able to style it better. When one's hair moisture is there, the weight will be higher and hence, you might find yourself requiring and using more styling products to make it more textured or whatsoever .

OS Fashion Sea Spray: 4/5
Eco Sea Spray : 2/5

Aspect #2: Bunching up of Hair (Higher, the better)
For those who used OS Fashion Sea Spray before, this aspect might not be unfamiliar to you at all. One amazing thing that OS Fashion Sea Spray can do for you is that it bunches up your hair very well. So why is this aspect important then? Prior to styling, when your hair ends are bunched up nicely and not divided loosely, it helps in terms of styling whereby subsequent application of wax/clay can help to achieve what you want much easier. With that said, your hairstyle will look more natural whereby it will be more textured/layered. If you're looking for tousled look, it helps to effect the messy look too. Imagine if your hair is not bunched up together, it will be like few strands of hair ends here and there (it will be awkward, of course), so this is also the reason why some ended up by applying more styling products when the desired effect and result cannot be achieved that easily.

Aspect #3: Natural Waviness (Higher, the better)
This is more for people with permed hair, i feel. Although Eco Sea Spray lacks the aspect of bunching up the hair, i realized one good characteristic that Eco gives me is the natural waviness in the hair. It tends to bring out the curls and waviness in my permed hair better than OS Fashion. Most probably, its because its not as dry as OS Fashion so one is able to achieve better and natural effects for one on this reasoning. Good when you are heading out to the beach with some beach look. I thought its some marketing gimmick at first, but it definitely sounds legit to me after using it for about one week or so.

OS Fashion is too dry to bring me any form of waviness plus it bunches up the hair so no form of natural waviness is being created. In simple words, tradeoffs at the end of the day.

OS Fashion Sea Spray: 2/5
Eco Sea Spray : 4/5

Aspect #4: Smell (Higher, the better)
This is one subjective aspect that i need not further explain. To me, Eco Sea Spray wins hands down towards OS Fashion Sea Spray. My brother said it reminds him of perfume. I don't think it feels like perfume to me though but one thing for sure is that it emits a stronger and much lasting fragrance as compared to OS Fashion. Both has nice fragrance, to be honest. But OS Fashion's light fragrance will be gone pretty fast. Eco Sea Spray's fragrance managed to stay on my hair for quite a reasonable amount of time. For those who have a weak spot for fragrant stuffs.

OS Fashion Sea Spray: 3/5
Eco Sea Spray : 4/5

Aspect #5: Holding Factor (Higher, the better)
I chose to talk about this as the last aspect because it is the most intuitive and basic aspect that everyone will know about for seasalt spray. Hold factor for OS Fashion is slated to be 4/6 on its packaging. There is no stated hold factor for Eco Sea Spray. For this criteria, i guess there is no further debate required because after using both products, OS Fashion Sea Spray gives much more significant holding strength for one as compared to Eco. And precisely because of this functional advantage, one can also feel that the volume created for OS Fashion is much more and better than Eco. The "pom pom" effect is therefore much more evident.

All in all, i feel OS Fashion Sea Spray is for the first timers who feel like trying out seasalt spray and be amazed with the impressive effects. I dare not say all but perhaps, most (including me) is pretty much impressed by how good seasalt spray can be. No more flat hair anymore. Eco Sea Spray follows behind closely because its does not seem to be the one that most people hope to achieve with seasalt spray. The voluminous effect is lacking for Eco but do not underestimate the tousled and wavy/beach effect that it brings for one. Both for different roles and purposes in different settings.

Note: There are really a lot of brands out there (e.g. KMS, Tigi, Vantachi) but once again, these abovementioned aspects are some criteria for judging seasalt spay in totality. Just to share, i used vantachi sea spray 350ml before and i don't really want to talk about it. Basically, it did nothing for me. I hope my 2cents worth of opinions help. :)

Genesisz

Master Member
Reaction score

Thanks.

I shall check out Kenabo shampoo and Gold Digger.

legolaslee

Reaction score
anyone can recommend a good holding and lasting hair spray that is cheap like around $10? i tried the gatsby spray at ntuc but doesnt seem to last long for my fringe and it keeps dropping down.

Genesisz

Master Member
Reaction score
I'm very sorry but I don't see how oily scalp means gatsby.

Perhaps your meant you were using gatsby and that's why your scalp is oily =P

Yes. That is one of the possibility wondering if Gatsby was one of the contributing factors or causes.

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
anyone can recommend a good holding and lasting hair spray that is cheap like around $10? i tried the gatsby spray at ntuc but doesnt seem to last long for my fringe and it keeps dropping down.

10 bucks dont get you good stuff.

if you want really cheap and generic, go for the loreal.

if you want both at $10, hard to find ah..

any a good wax/clay + spray will last you a long time because a little of each can style your hair.

or maybe your fringe is too long and you need a hair cut

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
anyway, to add on too Leejhong comprehensive summary.

Sea salt spray is never oily. maybe on your hands due to the gel ingredient.

it supposed to make your hair feels a little dry, as if you just sun-dried your hair after a swim in the sea.

this kind of dryness is kinda natural compared to roof lift spray etc. with such dryness, it easier to style your hair in any manner you want.

a rule.

Dry hair is always easier to style compared to wet hair because there's no water in your hair, lesser weight.
that is why you see hair stylist always dry your hair before styling.

with sea salt spray, a certain amount of hold is already in there that helps complement the styling product like wax/clay or even pomade.

PetiaC

Reaction score
Yes. That is one of the possibility wondering if Gatsby was one of the contributing factors or causes.

Don't or rather never let the hair product touch the scalp. Will choke up the pores and cause even more sebum produce by scalp as a reaction.

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone want a slot for batch 8 gold digger? Will be here in next Tuesday! Left 2 slots! Haha.

Pair it with sea salt spray and finish it with powerpoint hair spray!

deaththeorist

Master Member
Reaction score
Just remembered I still had one refill pack for the shiseido fogbar. Loaded it up and damn do I like this spritz on gel wax thingy spray. Hehe.

Btw that time got people wanna buy Kent mens styling brush right? Still wanna buy anot ar? Wan share shipping? XD

leejhong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Kudos to you for wanting to get rid of gatsby hair spray. On top of what you mentioned, its hard to wash away and it "gelled" your hair up terribly. It also gives white flakes when you touch your hair due to the ingredients used. You can try PowerPoint finishing spray 400ml. Gatsby is 150ml and its approximately $10. Add on another 9.90 to get PP hair spray which is almost 3 times the nett volume. Sometimes, good products doesnt have to be expensive too. :)

leejhong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone want a slot for batch 8 gold digger? Will be here in next Tuesday! Left 2 slots! Haha.

Pair it with sea salt spray and finish it with powerpoint hair spray!

People who want to have a taste of good holding strength and ease of application, give gold digger a try. There's a reason why its at the 8th batch now. Till today, i think its a good hoot. :)

x3dnd3x

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
People who want to have a taste of good holding strength and ease of application, give gold digger a try. There's a reason why its at the 8th batch now. Till today, i think its a good hoot. :)

I damn gian to try this Gold Digger but I'll just stick to Nigelle Bold Make Clay. Its good enough for me. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.