The Hair Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I've been doing that but I find that if I just make minor adjustments like to the ends of the hair, not much of the 2nd product is able to be applied to the roots without messing up the hair!

the first product always goes to the root. the finishing product is the rest.

alot of different ways to use it. haha best is look at videos!

deadbeat

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
the golddigger/os salt spray bundle still on?

thinking of trying out the golddigger so might as well take the package if its still available

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
the golddigger/os salt spray bundle still on?

thinking of trying out the golddigger so might as well take the package if its still available

wazzup my edm friend!

yes available. haha but gold digger will arrive first, sea salt spray later. you ok with this?

meaning you collect gold digger next week, sea salt spray next month oct collect?

deaththeorist

Master Member
Reaction score
so... mensbazaar posted this on their fb (hoesoverbros, i xpost here hor!)

5 Common Hair Styling Mistakes Guys Make | Birchbox

point 2 should be of interest here, the rest are quite duh (point 1 is questionable)

Applying Product to Bone-Dry Hair
“When I see guys with dull or dusty-looking hair, most often it’s because they’ve used a cream product in dry hair.” That’s a faux pas. “As a rule of thumb, creams and paste should go into hair when it is damp. Stuff like pomade or softer waxes should go in when hair is dry.”

paste is what we call clay here is it? seems like referring to stuff like nigelle and gold digger... havent tried gold digger on damp hair yet hmm...

also... i wanna try doing a comb front! hahaha like a reverse comb back

deadbeat

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
wazzup my edm friend!

yes available. haha but gold digger will arrive first, sea salt spray later. you ok with this?

meaning you collect gold digger next week, sea salt spray next month oct collect?
can...let me know how to work out payment.

nigelle clay very interesting, still not sure if I like it or not. Experimenting everyday also can't really give feedback yet.

in the meanwhile, need something more 'familiar' and with good hold so probably look at GD to contrast between the 2

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score

point 2 should be of interest here, the rest are quite duh (point 1 is questionable)

“When I see guys with dull or dusty-looking hair, most often it’s because they’ve used a cream product in dry hair.” That’s a faux pas. “As a rule of thumb, creams and paste should go into hair when it is damp. Stuff like pomade or softer waxes should go in when hair is dry.”

paste is what we call clay here is it? seems like referring to stuff like nigelle and gold digger... havent tried gold digger on damp hair yet hmm...

nigelle is considered soft clay and gold digger is consider wax/clay.

Gold digger on wet hair right, can use, but cfm need to blow dry, if not it would be super heavy and takes time to dry.

actually clay right, you need to emulsify, heat it up and work into your hair. that will give u strong hold.
no point use a uber dry product on wet hair. haha you can try using Sebastian craft clay and wet hair, you won't get anywhere with that.

i have fiber cream from redken, yes i would use on wet hair first and dry using hair dryer but with the dried hair, i still tend to add on more to increase the hold and tame flyaways but my hair doesn't look dusty.

paste is different from clay.
There's this moulding paste from redken and it's supposed to use on wet hair.

http://www.redken.com/products/mens/styling/work-hard-molding-paste

leejhong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Good read. Thumbs up to Louis bro! :)

Anyway, paste is not clay. Paste is in the form of liquid form. Very wet and soft texture. One paste that i have will be Logo F4 Modelling Paste from Italy. Its wet and got to be spread evenly onto the palms before you apply onto damp hair. Can be used on dry hair but best results is seen when you apply onto damp hair, precisely because its wet. Nigelle Bold Make Clay can be applied onto wet hair but I usually apply onto dry hair though. Like mentioned, its something that i have yet explored thoroughly. Very interesting yet profound to me. Just to share, attached a pic of F4 modelling paste too.

One important takeaway from the article lies in Point 4. I transfer it here for convenience sake.
Quote: "And of course, as Dale says, it’s important to “heat it up in hands so it distributes evenly."

This is very important when we used styling products. You might not realize the importance when you are using wax but it will be when you are using clay.

2013-09-24-23.05.31.jpg

Last edited:

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
can...let me know how to work out payment.

nigelle clay very interesting, still not sure if I like it or not. Experimenting everyday also can't really give feedback yet.

in the meanwhile, need something more 'familiar' and with good hold so probably look at GD to contrast between the 2

PMED! :D :D

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Anyway, paste is not clay. Paste is in the form of liquid form. Very wet and soft texture. One paste that i have will be Logo F4 Modelling Paste from Italy. Its wet and got to be spread evenly onto the palms before you apply onto damp hair. Can be used on dry hair but best results is seen when you apply onto damp hair, precisely because its wet. Nigelle Bold Make Clay can be applied onto wet hair but I usually apply onto dry hair though. Like mentioned, its something that i have yet explored thoroughly. Very interesting yet profound to me. Just to share, attached a pic of F4 modelling paste too.

One important takeaway from the article lies in Point 4. I transfer it here for convenience sake.
Quote: "And of course, as Dale says, it’s important to “heat it up in hands so it distributes evenly."

This is very important when we used styling products. You might not realize the importance when you are using wax but it will be when you are using clay.

http://theprettyjerk.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/2013-09-24-23.05.31.jpg[/G][/QUOTE]

replied like a boss :eek:

leejhong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Gold digger on wet hair right, can use, but cfm need to blow dry, if not it would be super heavy and takes time to dry.

actually clay right, you need to emulsify, heat it up and work into your hair. that will give u strong hold.
no point use a uber dry product on wet hair. haha you can try using Sebastian craft clay and wet hair, you won't get anywhere with that.

i have fiber cream from redken, yes i would use on wet hair first and dry using hair dryer but with the dried hair, i still tend to add on more to increase the hold and tame flyaways but my hair doesn't look dusty.

And coincidentally, we both covered the same points. :)

deaththeorist

Master Member
Reaction score

ugh... everytime i see the word emulsify in this context a few hair strands fall off lol... the makers of the products already emulsified it for you! to emulsify means to allow an oily substance to coexist with a watery substance in a stable form, like mayonaise. thats why it will separate overtime, and blending the **** up is the emulsifying process. we are just softening the thing lol, like literally just warming up and softening like how rubberbands are hard when cold. (finally got it off my chest, no hard feelings bro =X)

back to discussion proper xD

i tot paste is like clay cos of the way the rest of the article talked about paste.
never used that product u mentioned but got use this one before. also redken paste, rough paste 12
http://www.redken.com/products/styling/texture/rough-paste-12

this one feels like our classic clay leh... like joico, vantachi, fudge all these... also didnt get to use it on wet hair tho

deaththeorist

Master Member
Reaction score

2013-09-24-23.05.31.jpg

wut?? LOL that doesnt even look anywhere close to the redken paste that i mentioned. damn cosmetic fluffery.... cant stick to damn convention -_-

gaoxing, ur redken paste looks like this? shui shui de?

but if this F4 is what they call a paste then wouldnt nigelle clay fit their description? the nigelle sample that ljh gave me looks exactly like the photo here o.0

btw wax also need to spread on hands de. if not patchy patchy then some parts of hair got more than the rest :/

actually i guess in the end its all about experimenting. like take everything with a pinch of salt. rules of thumbs are rules. rules are meant to be bent, to be broken!

Last edited:

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ugh... everytime i see the word emulsify in this context a few hair strands fall off lol... the makers of the products already emulsified it for you! to emulsify means to allow an oily substance to coexist with a watery substance in a stable form, like mayonaise. thats why it will separate overtime, and blending the **** up is the emulsifying process. we are just softening the thing lol, like literally just warming up and softening like how rubberbands are hard when cold. (finally got it off my chest, no hard feelings bro =X)

back to discussion proper xD

i tot paste is like clay cos of the way the rest of the article talked about paste.
never used that product u mentioned but got use this one before. also redken paste, rough paste 12
http://www.redken.com/products/styling/texture/rough-paste-12

this one feels like our classic clay leh... like joico, vantachi, fudge all these... also didnt get to use it on wet hair tho

to me right.. a rule that always stay.

wet product use on wet hair
dry product use on dry hair

wet product like fiber cream that is so liquid, it will work better on wet hair.

clay, wax, pomade all these on dry hair.

the only thing i use on wet hair is SSS, Heat protector, redken fiber cream.

Fiber cream must always use on wet hair or semi dry. when used on dry hair, hair confirm kena yank out. I tested it. haha

even fiber gel gum will work better on dry hair and re-activate them using alittle water cause they tend to harden alittle. This goes for water-based pomade.

joico i never use before, don't know the texture. haha i prefer to use dry products on dry hair. cause easier to style. haha

leejhong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
wut?? LOL that doesnt even look anywhere close to the redken paste that i mentioned. damn cosmetic fluffery.... cant stick to damn convention -_-

gaoxing, ur redken paste looks like this? shui shui de?

but if this F4 is what they call a paste then wouldnt nigelle clay fit their description? the nigelle sample that ljh gave me looks exactly like the photo here o.0

Bro, you should be the last person to be shocked about cosmetic fluffs. Precisely because there is no standard convention for these terms, so its best not to be dogmatic about such terms. The article is definitely not referring paste to clay. Cant be covering all kinds of products in an article.

The paste in my dictionary is always very liquid. Some ppl refer paste to "semi solid form" too which there is no right or wrong too. Anyway, nigelle clay is totally different from this F4 modelling paste. If you want, next time i pass some to you to try. As usual, i cant finish using it too. Its meant to target females though. Provides heat protection while blow drying and gives good hold. I usually use it to complement subsequent styling products if i want extreme hold for the day due to the heavy weight of my hair.

deaththeorist

Master Member
Reaction score
Bro, you should be the last person to be shocked about cosmetic fluffs. Precisely because there is no standard convention for these terms, so its best not to be dogmatic about such terms. The article is definitely not referring paste to clay. Cant be covering all kinds of products in an article.

The paste in my dictionary is always very liquid. Some ppl refer paste to "semi solid form" too which there is no right or wrong too. Anyway, nigelle clay is totally different from this F4 modelling paste. If you want, next time i pass some to you to try. As usual, i cant finish using it too. Its meant to target females though. Provides heat protection while blow drying and gives good hold. I usually use it to complement subsequent styling products if i want extreme hold for the day due to the heavy weight of my hair.

not shocked la... more like pissed.. there is SERIOUS need for some standard man... AGREE! hahaha

ooo means its more like armino's peace milk. i dont even use it as its supposed to be used =X maybe u can try. i use it like a serum after i bathe when hair is still wet (dayum... now the wet/dry conundrum makes sense, the milk is gross when applied on dry hair). like a tiny tiny bit. feels nice tho XD

EDIT: SEE?? what the hell? milk? like seriously? screw these names lol

Last edited:

deaththeorist

Master Member
Reaction score
to me right.. a rule that always stay.

wet product use on wet hair
dry product use on dry hair

wet product like fiber cream that is so liquid, it will work better on wet hair.

clay, wax, pomade all these on dry hair.

the only thing i use on wet hair is SSS, Heat protector, redken fiber cream.

Fiber cream must always use on wet hair or semi dry. when used on dry hair, hair confirm kena yank out. I tested it. haha

even fiber gel gum will work better on dry hair and re-activate them using alittle water cause they tend to harden alittle. This goes for water-based pomade.

joico i never use before, don't know the texture. haha i prefer to use dry products on dry hair. cause easier to style. haha

hmm.... but still no harm trying i guess. wish me luck ahahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.