The Hair Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

leejhong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hello! Pardon my newbie-ness :s12: Just wanted to consult yall experts on what's the best hair wax/clay for thick hair of 8- 12cm long that has an all-day strong hold without the use of hairspray. preferably easy to wash off too (i have skin/scalp issues) Matte or shiny look both are fine :)

so far i've tried the following products and am not satisfied one way or another:

1. Gatsby wild shake purple- has the ideal holding power, but difficult to wash out. kinda itchy too

2. gatsby mat grunge grey- good for texturising, but not much hold

2. dominate out of bed- dryness makes it hard to apply evenly. holding power is weak unless i apply a lot, which it then looks oddly stiff and plastic

3. obsidian dual touch wax- hardly any hold, but it does a great job of providing a healthy looking shine and is the easiest to wash off, no itch at all no matter how much i apply

Basically, my answer will be about the same as gaoxing bro. Gatsby purple comes with slight shine and the holding factor is quite high. Used to use that in the past too but got rid of it because its simply too hard to be washed off thoroughly. Since our common product is only Gatsby Purple, i shall use it to make a simple comparison with Gold Digger and Nigelle Bold Make Clay.

Gatsby Purple vs. Gold Digger
Holding Factor: Draw. Gold Digger is definitely not losing out to Gatsby Purple on the aspect of holding factor. Both has strong hold and good texturizing control too. Definitely working well in SG's humidity as well. Despite saying that, styling products (wax/clay) are not responsible for holding and fixing your hairstyle throughout the day. Its the job of hair spray to keep it in place. I cannot say more not to skip the step of applying hair spray and hope to achieve a long lasting hairstyle. It just don't work that way unless your hairstyle allows it to be.

Stickiness: GD wins. Gatsby purple is very sticky and Gold Digger is not a bit sticky at all. As a matter of fact, the level of stickiness also affects your ability to be able to style well. The smooth butter-alike texture of GD allows it to go onto your hair very easy without any tangling. This is one big selling point for GD over Gatsby too.

Hardening: GD wins. This aspect correlates to your method of application and how much you apply. With the amount of GD that i used (around 10cents coin size) and applying it onto my hair in a towel-drying manner, GD doesn't harden too fast and too MUCH after application. This is something that i like. I do not like my product to harden too fast and i can't restyle it at all. I guess i dont have to say further. Gatsby purple hardens very fast after applying and it is this hardening effect that many feels that gatsby's strength control is good. Hardening does not mean good strength control in totality. Good holding strength need not necessarily comes as hardening all of the time. Simply because if it hardens too much, it won't look natural to people at all.

Weight: Gatsby wins. GD is definitely not lightweight. Gatsby Purple is definitely lighter than GD on this so the problem of GD for me mainly lies on this aspect. It pulls down my hair but then again, i leave this job to hair spray. This also explains why i assert that hair spray complements wax/clay and this complementary use allows you to bring it to a higher level, effectively utilising the usefulness of both products.

Shine: GD wins. Both has slight shine but i prefer GD's slight shine touch. Just nice and especially if you are doing a quiff, you will like the shine that it gives you. Just a side note, shine is not oiliness and its in fact essential and necessary for people with coloured hair. It also brings out the hair texture even better. Hence, shine is important. :)

Easiness to wash off: GD wins. GD is very easy to wash off. Gatsby is very hard to wash off. Thats about it. :)

leejhong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hello! Pardon my newbie-ness :s12: Just wanted to consult yall experts on what's the best hair wax/clay for thick hair of 8- 12cm long that has an all-day strong hold without the use of hairspray. preferably easy to wash off too (i have skin/scalp issues) Matte or shiny look both are fine :)

so far i've tried the following products and am not satisfied one way or another:

1. Gatsby wild shake purple- has the ideal holding power, but difficult to wash out. kinda itchy too

2. gatsby mat grunge grey- good for texturising, but not much hold

2. dominate out of bed- dryness makes it hard to apply evenly. holding power is weak unless i apply a lot, which it then looks oddly stiff and plastic

3. obsidian dual touch wax- hardly any hold, but it does a great job of providing a healthy looking shine and is the easiest to wash off, no itch at all no matter how much i apply

Over here, its the comparison with Nigelle Bold Make Clay.

Gatsby Purple vs. Nigelle Bold Make Clay
Holding Factor: Gatsby Purple. First of all, nigelle Bold Make clay is not a simple product to be comprehended fully. All it takes is to use more than what it takes to make you dislike it. The trick to nigelle is to use around 5cents size or so and apply to your hair. Gatsby Purple is idiot proof, so just use it as per normal. The holding strength of Gatsby is stronger than nigelle but the texturizing control for Nigelle surpassed that of Gatsby. Hence, its all about tradeoffs. If you're going for some quiff or side pomp hairstyle (working professional hairstyles), nigelle will definitely suit you. Else, if its some spiked up hairstyles, Gatsby probably will be the winner on that.

Stickiness: Nigelle wins. I cannot say that nigelle is not sticky. Its a form of wet clay and hence, its natural that it will be a bit sticky while using it. So do not use too much. It will get out of control and might yank out your hair. A little goes a long way. With that said, assuming that amount is being used correctly, nigelle will be less sticky than gatsby.

Hardening: Nigelle wins. The main selling point for nigelle is that its does not becomes firm or harden too MUCH after application. This allows one to inherit a high level of flexibility in restyling anytime throughout the day. Use a medium control or high control hairspray alongisde nigelle and it can definitely be capable of lasting you through the entire day as well.

Weight: Nigelle wins. Nigelle is known as a lightweight clay. It works extremely well in SG's humidity and thats the main motivation for me in saying that its so far the best product that i used. Because not all products work well for us in such SG's climate. Gatsby is not too heavyweight too but it still comes off as slightly heavier than Nigelle on this.

Shine: Draw. Nigelle gives one a nice matte texture finish simply because its clay. No shine at all. Total matte effect. Gatsby purple comes with slight shine. So you define the win on your own terms. :)

Easiness to wash off: Nigelle wins. Guess its rather obvious now, isnt it. Hope it helps! :)

leejhong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hey, carbolic soap bars? tried googling carbolic shampoo to no avail.

I scanned through almost the entire offering from watsons and guardian already, they don't anything specific for oily scalp(or specifically for men for that matter), only came across this french brand one in guardian, didn't look too appealing tho, tried body shop, they had one for oily scalp, didn't look appealing too.

Gonna find time to visit specialize shop like whathewants, any other place to recommend me for a huge range of men's haircare product? been browsing through some online offerings too, headache uh, so many selection online! :s13:

Thanks death bro for answering for me. Yes Q8 carbolic shampoo from Japan. Scalp cleansing shampoo. Good cleansing properties and doesn't dry out your hair too much. A quick update to add on. Stocks ran out couple of weeks back and new stocks will be coming next month. :)

deaththeorist

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks death bro for answering for me. Yes Q8 carbolic shampoo from Japan. Scalp cleansing shampoo. Good cleansing properties and doesn't dry out your hair too much. A quick update to add on. Stocks ran out couple of weeks back and new stocks will be coming next month. :)
You should probably mention that theprettyjerk is selling it. And that u are theprettyjerk hahaha. Heads up Andy!jh is ur homie right here!

leejhong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Venus got sell q8 carbolic?

btw leejhong, if I use conditioner everyday, will there be a problem?

Nope, venus do not sell them from my understanding. :)

Before i answer, i have to say that my method and logic are definitely not the best and there can be a better alternatives and answers out there. The reason why i am using this method and providing this reasoning is because it just works and stands well for me. :)

IMO, conditioner is oil based and should not be used everyday. Simply because excessive usage is not going to make it more effective for me. Its going to backfire as i believe all things should be used in moderation. Firstly, excessive usage of conditioner makes my hair greasy and secondly, i don't need my hair to be so silky smooth and light everyday. Soft hair makes it hard to be styled well. If you're going for quiff hairstyles or something along that line, you will get what i mean. So using conditioner 2-3 times per week just works well for me.

More importantly, i believe in consistency. Do it 2-3 times well and for every week will and should suffice for one. Exercise proper hair care regimen religiously and it will definitely pay back for you. :)

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ya, i think need to shave, saw some hair cutting videos..they purposely shaver to cut the line...

Yup. I goT the line alr. Lol some ppl don't like. Too defined.

Any claymation let me try! Lolol

SyraLeo

Master Member
Reaction score
no one uses renati rock hard ?

so many HDf and gold digger comments in the past few pages, are they worth a try over the renati rock hard?

deadbeat

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Tried before rock hard. But I prefer softer wax/clay. Thing about hair products is that some of the better ones, u have to try yourself to feel the differences & see if u like it

hoesoverbros

Reaction score
Yup. I goT the line alr. Lol some ppl don't like. Too defined.

Any claymation let me try! Lolol

bro can pass u some sample but finding a small empty bottle is a 2nd bit*h in the world sia. can recommend me go where buy those bottle? haha!

Daracus

Reaction score
Hi bros, been on hwz for awhile just reading as a guest but this is my first post as a member! Haha anyway my hairstyle is a zayn malik kinda look, sides short and top in a quiff sortof?
I've been using sebastian craft clay the past 4 months, really like the texture it gives! But I always find it lacking hold.. And when my hair gets longer, I'll need more product to push it up and back, and somehow it becomes clumpy and shiny..
Been thinking of claymation, quicksand or GD these days, but ppl said GD has slight shine right? I like matte haha, and idk if quicksand or claymation works well in thick asian hair.. So you guys have any recommendations?

leejhong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi bros, been on hwz for awhile just reading as a guest but this is my first post as a member! Haha anyway my hairstyle is a zayn malik kinda look, sides short and top in a quiff sortof?
I've been using sebastian craft clay the past 4 months, really like the texture it gives! But I always find it lacking hold.. And when my hair gets longer, I'll need more product to push it up and back, and somehow it becomes clumpy and shiny..
Been thinking of claymation, quicksand or GD these days, but ppl said GD has slight shine right? I like matte haha, and idk if quicksand or claymation works well in thick asian hair.. So you guys have any recommendations?

Kudos to you for making the first move bro! :D

Anyway, IMO, if you're wearing a zayn malik look, it will be better off if you can have some slight shine to go alongside your hairstyle. Quiff always goes better with a bit of shine. And the shine, in this context, shouldnt be mistaken as oily look. Its this shine that allows your hair texture to be contrasted, especially so if your hair is coloured. So that it wont look so borning. With the right amount of shine, it helps to make you look even more radiant.

Sebastian craft clay isnt formulated to hold asian hair well enough. The holding factor is nowhere near to GD. Used quicksand before and all i got to say is that it don't work well for me. Basically, it only polishes my hair with a clean matte texture finish. Then again, my hair is permed so it might be skewed. But i guess if you really want matte texture finish, quicksand should be something that you should look at. As for claymation, wait for other bros to try it out and see their reviews.

To add on, take a look at seasalt spray. It just helps a lot in doing up your current hairstyle. By creating a matte structure in place, it allows subsequent styling to be better and easier as the hair is nicely bunched up together. I can't style without SSS nowadays.

hoesoverbros

Reaction score
I will be giving a short description of HdF Claymation on my own OPINION! So don't asking me which product is better. Each person has their own preference i suppose:D

Firstly, i would say that claymation is really a matte product even though they mention only semi matte. Apart from that it doesn't really have much smell as compared to other HdF product. The smell will bend more towards 'clay' kind of smell.

Scooping up the first layer require some effort as compared to other HdF product line product. When rubbing it between your hand, it goes smooth but it left a very 'sticky' feel on your hand which kind of freak me out as the sticky feel reminds me so much of a pomade. When applying through your hair, it really goes smooth without 'hardening' or drying quickly like quicksand. In fact, it's really easy for me to do the 'twist' action to create that pomp quiff but before that i have actually blow my hair for 10+ mins or so. Please do remind that every quiff requires some set up before you style it.

When i style finish, it leaves off a matte finish which im not really satisfy as im a person who likes a light sheen finish! SO MUCH FOR SEMI MATTE! NB! End up, i applied some modify pomade to add some shine on it!:D

Was out yesterday from late noon - wee morning, still my quiff are there. I wont say entirely it is because of claymation i use, i would give credit to my hair dryer:D Without it, it's almost impossible to c8 a quiff due to our stubborn asian hair texture. Use it with sea salt spray would definitely have a better result. Did some restyling through the night with zero hassle.

So overall,

First Impression: 3/5 (The smell, the colour and the sticky feel left on hand doesn't really gives me a good first impression as compared to quicksand or sponge wax.

Pliability: 4/5 .Needless to day, it really give superb pliability out of all the wax i use so far, even quicksand if we are comparing the OVERALL of a standalone product. But still i believe no product is perfect, there is always room for improvement

Holding Power: 4.5/5. This thing really gives you a solid hold but maintaining the natural matte finish. Your end finish wont makes you looking like you applied 1 tub of wax to get that solid whole day hold you want:D

End Finish: 3/5. Like i said earlier, i prefer light sheen finish so i wouldn't use it as a standalone product. But because of the pliability and holding power it gives, i will sub my quicksand combo with this. Not that quicksand is not good but since im going a quiff hairstyle, this product is easier to style quiff.

Washing off: 5/5. I give 5/5 for all Hanz de Fuko styling wax product. Period.

I will be cocktailing it with sponge wax later to see if it gives a better finish as compared to Modify Pomade.

#Peaceout #justmy2cent #dontflameme

x3dnd3x

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
bro can pass u some sample but finding a small empty bottle is a 2nd bit*h in the world sia. can recommend me go where buy those bottle? haha!

Daiso loh. If you have friends who wear contact lense, ask them pass you that container loh. Everytime buy solution sure got alot of extra containers one lar.

hoesoverbros

Reaction score
I checked daiso before alr la bro.. if i can buy from there u think i won't have bought meh. It's either too small like one time use only that kind where got enough if not too big and the price is too ex for me to mass buy.

x3dnd3x

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I checked daiso before alr la bro.. if i can buy from there u think i won't have bought meh. It's either too small like one time use only that kind where got enough if not too big and the price is too ex for me to mass buy.

But you giving out samplers mah. Why would you want a big container for it? Just a little bit for max 2 times usage would be sufficient what. Bro, small money out, big money in. ;)

Like I said, use contact lense containers. The ones that come with lense solution when you buy it. Its has 2 slots so should be okay. If you don't mind, I can give you the ones I have for free. I have 8 spares but you self collect from me either under my block or Lakeside. This is if you don't mind lar. I'm giving you a suggestion. Sample containers don't need to look awesome anyway.

lens_container.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.