The Hair Thread - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

deaththeorist

Master Member
Reaction score
oops there is water as ingredient . i missed it haha.

ps. in constrast, why is it marketed as an water based when there are 2 components that contain oil in them?
What he said! Usually the rule of thumb is that if more than 50 percent by weight is water means waterbased. If less than 50 percent then they call it oil based.

And yup there ain't no preservatives so must be more careful and try to finish using asap. Same deal for any other similar products.

Sent from GAGT. I hope you too are using GAGT

losthopeguy

Reaction score
What he said! Usually the rule of thumb is that if more than 50 percent by weight is water means waterbased. If less than 50 percent then they call it oil based.

And yup there ain't no preservatives so must be more careful and try to finish using asap. Same deal for any other similar products.

ah ic.. something new learnt here haha.

HAHA, now waiting for the blumaan one to arrive. for now, i guess i wonlt be touching that pomade.

Hopefully the blumaan one will be a product worth spending on

whysoliddat

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Well maybe the amount of borax wasn't enough. Borax do have a mild antimicrobial activity and that's why most brewers who do use borax for emulsification of water and wax/oil (in an attempt to call it 'all natural') do not usually use other form of preservatives, since borax should suffice.

I have o'douds waterbased which has borax in it, and it's left on my desk for god knows how long. No sign of mould or whatsoever...

I must indeed insist that it's appropriate to deem it as a manufacturing defect, rather than putting the blame onto suppliers (who obviously won't one by one open the caps and QC 100% right?).

Sent from a parallel universe without using GAGT

Last edited:

losthopeguy

Reaction score
Well maybe the amount of borax wasn't enough. Borax do have a mild antimicrobial activity and that's why most brewers who do use borax (in an attempt to call it 'all natural') do not usually use other form of preservatives, since borax should suffice.

I have o'douds waterbased which has borax in it, and it's left on my desk for god knows how long. No sign of mould or whatsoever...

I must indeed insist that it's approximate to deem it as a manufacturing defect, rather than putting the blame onto suppliers (who obviously won't one by one open the caps and QC 100% right?).

oh i see. where do u all source info for the ingredients sia.
haha, ok that is enough reason for me not to use it, time to discard it. Better to sacrifice some money rather than hair.

so far have not heard problem with odouds. my friend was using crystal lake and i think there are some issues with it either

whysoliddat

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
oh i see. where do u all source info for the ingredients sia.
haha, ok that is enough reason for me not to use it, time to discard it. Better to sacrifice some money rather than hair.

so far have not heard problem with odouds. my friend was using crystal lake and i think there are some issues with it either

Even my crystal lake also so far no problem, but i notice a slight difference in smell, and the colour turned off white.

The problem with crystal lake is that they too didn't use a proper preservative, instead they use Grape Seed Oil. Grape Seed oil has been marketed as a natural preservative.

Grape seed oil is another controversial product as it's not even a pure oil. It's often diluted with preservatives when it's extracted from the grape seed. But due to the minimal amount of preservatives added in grape seed oil, the total ratio of water:GSO makes the preservatives somewhat less effective in preserving the finished product as a whole.

That's the problem with almost all "natural" body/skin/hair products and most consumers, even manufacturers/brewers, are ignorant of this 'behind closed doors' scene.

losthopeguy

Reaction score
Even my crystal lake also so far no problem, but i notice a slight difference in smell, and the colour turned off white.

The problem with crystal lake is that they too didn't use a proper preservative, instead they use Grape Seed Oil. Grape Seed oil has been marketed as a natural preservative.

Grape seed oil is another controversial product as it's not even a pure oil. It's often diluted with preservatives when it's extracted from the grape seed. But due to the minimal amount of preservatives added in grape seed oil, the total ratio of water:GSO makes the preservatives somewhat less effective in preserving the finished product as a whole.

That's the problem with almost all "natural" body/skin/hair products and most consumers, even manufacturers/brewers, are ignorant of this 'behind closed doors' scene.

yea. hence, i have gone back to the kind of chemically manufactured products. dun really trust homebrewed anymore. Not so much of the product performance but more so, on its limited lifespan. The only homebrewed one which did not give me any problem is anchors matte. that one is not a bad product except the smell, alittle too overpowering

but am quite disappointed with what i have bought to try. haha, i also did buy M.uk and its another one which is kinda bad for my liking. furthermore, its an aussie brand but formulated in PRC.

with the money spent on these 2 products, i could have easily combined it and get a MM HAHA sigh

Last edited:

darthsid11111

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

losthopeguy

Reaction score
hey guys, back to the hair discussion again..

have anyone used those powder before? how is it different from the sprays and waxes. i am amazed by how some ppl have claimed it to be so strong that they can do without wax and their hair still remains spoofy n upright.

To me,wax is always the most basic item to use haha.

Maybe i am outdated liao lols

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.