The Hair Thread - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

nichsong

Reaction score
not sure if legit or trolling now.

hair dryer - have both hot and cold air.

@super365 LOL regarding blow drying, Using hot air wouldn't mess it up. You just have to shape your hair in the way u want it to set. That's what gives your hair volume. You should try pre-styling. It's actually a really important step that can change your hair styling game :)

As for smell, Uevo grey is considered one of the lighter smelling waxes. It won't hang around you or anything and fades as the day goes by. Pretty much happens with just about every hair product. Not an issue to me haha.

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hey gaoxing, i bought the mm styling balm and you included an additional product. what's that? smells nice

it's the treatment cleansing oil.

use it in the morning as shampoo replacement. 1 week use 2-3 times.

no need shampoo, just massage into your hair and scalp, then rinse off with water

super365

Master Member
Reaction score
@super365 LOL regarding blow drying, Using hot air wouldn't mess it up. You just have to shape your hair in the way u want it to set. That's what gives your hair volume. You should try pre-styling. It's actually a really important step that can change your hair styling game :)

As for smell, Uevo grey is considered one of the lighter smelling waxes. It won't hang around you or anything and fades as the day goes by. Pretty much happens with just about every hair product. Not an issue to me haha.

What prestyler is good?

Your hair is how long?

My hair longest about 5cm.

nichsong

Reaction score
What prestyler is good?

Your hair is how long?

My hair longest about 5cm.

Hahaha it's great that you're asking so many questions! But if there's anything I've learnt, it's that alot of it is trial and error. You have to experience the process of trying out new products and seeing how they work with your hair. Other people's experience might be different from yours because of different hair types and texture.

Regarding your question on pre stylers, I'd recommend starting out with sea salt spray. It gives great volume by absorbing excess oil in your hair so that it won't be weighed down by your finishing product / oil buildup through the day.

Seasalt sprays that I find to work great are the Ref 323 seasalt spray and the OS Sea Salt Spray. You can hitup gaoxing bro on this :) alternatively you can checkout theprettyjerk.

Spritz onto towel dried hair > Blow dry > add finishing product > hairspray (optional)

super365

Master Member
Reaction score
Hahaha it's great that you're asking so many questions! But if there's anything I've learnt, it's that alot of it is trial and error. You have to experience the process of trying out new products and seeing how they work with your hair. Other people's experience might be different from yours because of different hair types and texture.

Regarding your question on pre stylers, I'd recommend starting out with sea salt spray. It gives great volume by absorbing excess oil in your hair so that it won't be weighed down by your finishing product / oil buildup through the day.

Seasalt sprays that I find to work great are the Ref 323 seasalt spray and the OS Sea Salt Spray. You can hitup gaoxing bro on this :) alternatively you can checkout theprettyjerk.

Spritz onto towel dried hair > Blow dry > add finishing product > hairspray (optional)

Is it if the style does not need the hair to be thick/tall, no need to use sea salt spray? Example Image A https://i.imgur.com/qo5uKUW.png

Is it sea salt spray is it only for those style you need the hair to be thicker and stand up? Example Image B https://i.imgur.com/ACFcvkl.png

I not sure the meaning of "towel dried hair" does it mean need to wash hair then towel dry so still a little damp? Can seat salt spray be used on completely dry hair, example like after washing hair 6 hours completely dry already?

Ref 323 seasalt spray and the OS Sea Salt Spray which one you find better?

nichsong

Reaction score
Is it if the style does not need the hair to be thick/tall, no need to use sea salt spray? Example Image A https://i.imgur.com/qo5uKUW.png

Is it sea salt spray is it only for those style you need the hair to be thicker and stand up? Example Image B https://i.imgur.com/ACFcvkl.png

I not sure the meaning of "towel dried hair" does it mean need to wash hair then towel dry so still a little damp? Can seat salt spray be used on completely dry hair, example like after washing hair 6 hours completely dry already?

Ref 323 seasalt spray and the OS Sea Salt Spray which one you find better?

In general, people who have thicker hair has more natural volume, so they do not need a pre styler like sea salt spray.

Yes, towel dried hair means your damp hair after coming outta the shower. It works best that way. You towel dry, apply prestyler THEN blow dry for best effects. Then u apply finishing product.

REF 323 and OS sea salt spray both work almost the same. OS is drier but has a higher hold, REF 323 less dry, slightly lesser hold.

Iniesta08

Reaction score
Any review on Daimon Barber No. 4 Clay Pomade and Red House Private Reserve?

asdf2722

Reaction score
Hi guys! pretty new to the world of hair styling. Currently using by vilain gold digger however i am not sure if i am using it wrongly or it just doesnt suit my hair. I have a few qns hopefully you guys can help me with it :)

1) is it okay to use GD as a pre-styler or should i use a proper prestyler?

2) how do i know if i am applying too much or too little to the hair? i can style the hair to a pretty much desired look but it just goes flat in like a minute or so. Pretty lost on whether it was me applying too little to hold it up or applying too much cause the hair to be weighed down.

3) also i notice that when i rub the wax in between my palms to "emulify" it , it feels very dry is it suppose to be like that? it feels very dry when i rub it into my hair too and sometime it will cause a few of my hair to drop out ;x

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! pretty new to the world of hair styling. Currently using by vilain gold digger however i am not sure if i am using it wrongly or it just doesnt suit my hair. I have a few qns hopefully you guys can help me with it :)

1) is it okay to use GD as a pre-styler or should i use a proper prestyler?

2) how do i know if i am applying too much or too little to the hair? i can style the hair to a pretty much desired look but it just goes flat in like a minute or so. Pretty lost on whether it was me applying too little to hold it up or applying too much cause the hair to be weighed down.

3) also i notice that when i rub the wax in between my palms to "emulify" it , it feels very dry is it suppose to be like that? it feels very dry when i rub it into my hair too and sometime it will cause a few of my hair to drop out ;x

1) No, pls use a proper prestyle - cause gd gets really dry and strong when its being blown dry.
use a sea salt spray

2) flat because your hair no volume and its natural to fall flat, your hair dont stay pomp all day bro

3) yes, its meant to be dry. find a inbetween, semi dry, apply.
yes, strong wax if you apply, here and there sure tug a few hair out

may i suggest using morris moltey to replace your gold digger.
less dry, less tugging and treats your hair when you style.

another alternative to gd is uevo grey, way lighter than GD, allows your hair to stay pomp longer and almost same amount of hold.

nichsong

Reaction score
Common Hairstyling Issues we face

Hey guys since the questions posted here regarding hair are pretty much the same, thought I'd just make a quick post and we can reshare this instead of typing and explaining all over again each time.

Problem: Hair falls flat after awhile

Why? WEIGHT.
2 main factors regarding weight.
1: Our "asian" hair type(most of us): Fine, straight and limp, tends to collapse under its own weight. Let alone additional weight from styling product (it might hold up for awhile due to the hold, but collapse halfway through the day)
2: Our Climate: It's very humid here in Singapore: Higher humidity = higher amount of water vapour in the air, which settles on our hair and adds weight. Don't forget perspiration also adds to the buildup in our hair.

Basically this: Our hair already cannot support its own weight and wants to lay flat naturally. Add on the weight of styling product, plus water vapour and perspiration.. You get the picture.

Solutions
1: Have your hair trimmed and thinned out often; Maybe once every 3-4 weeks. Having it thinned out reduces the overall weight of your hair, and having a good trim helps maintain the shape and overall aesthetic of your hairstyle.

2: Use a pre styler. Add to towel dried hair, blow dry it in the direction you want it to go. The heat combined with the light holding properties of the prestyler "sets" the hair in place, so that whatever you do, your hair will naturally want to fall back into its "set" position

3: Use a lightweight finishing product after pre-styling. Heavy products will only weigh the hair down.

4: Use a hairspray. This is optional. But in many cases, it helps give extra endurance to your hairstyle.

Additional notes: If you're not familiar with prestylers, please check out sea salt spray, it's a game changer. Bros gaoxing84 and theprettyjerk have resources regarding this so do send them a DM.

Also, don't forget that even with the aforementioned recommendations, it is not a one clear solution that works for everybody. This is just simply the best guideline that we can offer.You may have to experiment with different hair products / different ways you cut your hair / different blowdrying techniques in order to achieve and maintain your desired hairstyle.

As you can see, a good hairstyle requires alot of work, but it is definitely worth the hassle as you learn and figure out what's best for you and your hair type.

sansanjikikut

Reaction score
many guys suffer from 'fringe refuse to go up and back" problem. hair strands too strong, forehead strong magnet, pulling all the strands downward.

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
a quick update!

tomorrow, 15% off all purchase at my site. lol

have fun!

nez

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
many guys suffer from 'fringe refuse to go up and back" problem. hair strands too strong, forehead strong magnet, pulling all the strands downward.

During prestyle, bend heads downwards to blow dry. It works like magic.

Last edited:

I_Hate_Veggie

Reaction score
Any main differences between the by vilian sidekick and the ref 323 sea salt spray?

I've been using original as a prestyler previously, can't find a better way to use it since it's too dry to my liking and tugging my hair a lot.

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any main differences between the by vilian sidekick and the ref 323 sea salt spray?

I've been using original as a prestyler previously, can't find a better way to use it since it's too dry to my liking and tugging my hair a lot.

Sidekick is stronger and more dry. Some sort of a sea salt spray.

323 is lighter, less dry, full sea salt spray.

Your call.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.