The Hair Thread - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

nichsong

Reaction score
Haha @GX @DT, some healthy conflict of interest here I guess :)

Maybe some people find the previous appeal of MM to be more ideal - Exclusive, produced in small quantities, hand made etc. aka hipster. But Rob has chosen to take it to lab production in order to keep up with production demands etc. That move could have split people's opinions, in which has happened in this case.

DT may have been one of the people who may have felt disappointed as he felt that this process has made MM lose out on its initial appeal - And on top of that feels that lab production has hurt the quality of the product. (Subjective to the individual)

Whereas GX is able to empathise with Rob in terms of upping his production scale to meet demands. He doesn't feel that the quality has suffered in any way. (Also subjective to the individual)

Either way there's no right or wrong, just differing views. But its good that there's this kind of healthy discussion la. If no one has any opinions on anything there'd be no "value add" in the thread haha.

deaththeorist

Master Member
Reaction score
yarly... now u mention like got abit kenna cheated the feeling

csbkszl.jpg

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What makes you think going into advertising automatically makes the product going to a road of inferior product?
How does advertising makes a product loses quality?
It's doesn't even add up.

Both different action.

He makes it by hand. Or may move on to lab productions. The product works great. Done.
He advertise to get his products out. Marketing is increasing brand and product awareness. If he doesn't, he stays stagnant. No point also. Business is business. Even home brew people moved on and make a business out of it.

darthsid11111

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What makes you think going into advertising automatically makes the product going to a road of inferior product?
How does advertising makes a product loses quality?
It's doesn't even add up.

Both different action.

He makes it by hand. Or may move on to lab productions. The product works great. Done.
He advertise to get his products out. Marketing is increasing brand and product awareness. If he doesn't, he stays stagnant. No point also. Business is business. Even home brew people moved on and make a business out of it.

He's just making a wild guess because he disagree with what Rob is doing luh.

IMO since he already got a winning formula, and sub out production to lab.. There really shouldn't be an issue unless he decides to cut corners. He's just freeing up time to do more marketing and even :eek: possible product development as opposed to slaving over a pot everyday.

Nothing like the doom and gloom that DT mentioned make video means commercial means don't care about product means will cut corner to make quick buck.

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
u have interpreted very wrongly.

what i am saying that we have to become wary of his direction. if he is putting more effort into this kind of "advertising", we cannot assume that he is putting the same effort as before into product design.

the lab and handmade difference in product i am also not implying that it is a lowly lousy product now. i'm jus saying that we have to be careful of immediately applying our previous bias to future batches. last time good doesnt automatically mean next time good. of cos, doesnt automatically mean next time bad either.

because of that video, it made me doubt his resolve that he used to mention all the time. basically the same reason why the pomp doesnt like hdf. dont even think that he ever tried hdf. he hates the brand, not the product. i not so extreme la... no hate, simply disgust.

the product is out even before the advertising and marketing.
So which part of not putting effort into the product you say?
To be honest.

Hand made = differs in production lot I believe because of human error. Bound to have.
Even for watches. Human makes the same movement but not all movement yield the same time keeping. It differs.

Machine, lab made = changes in formula to go with machines, but it shld be tested before going large scale. But I believe the quality will be in check better than human made.

And I cannot stress again.
Marketing and advertising has nothing to do with product quality. That if it's being made first and sold for testing the market for results.
Rob sold the chrome and hear feedbacks from his customers and tweaked the formula. Tested it
Took him a good few months before officially marketing the product.
Till today not alot people heard of chrome.
They only know the balm.

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score

IMO since he already got a winning formula, and sub out production to lab.. There really shouldn't be an issue unless he decides to cut corners. He's just freeing up time to do more marketing and even :eek: possible product development as opposed to slaving over a pot everyday.

Nothing like the doom and gloom that DT mentioned make video means commercial means don't care about product means will cut corner to make quick buck.

From the way I see it, Rob does the product out before he do advertising.
He was selling the balm before he do any proper advertising.
Till today. Advertising of his balm is still nothing compared to the likes Blumaan, by vilain and HDF.
All he did was post on YouTube on his hair cuts, his instagram and maybe fb page.

What makes him famous and his product known in the first place are people like us, in the community. We used it. We recommend. WOM.
Then it spreads.

I say this not because I am a seller or protecting him. I was a user before selling. It's good and I think such a product will be beneficial to people looking for a good product.

DT was the one that exposed me to morris motley. If not I also won't know. So credit goes to him.

I rmb we all share a tub because it's bloody ex at 60 sgd for 100ml.
We all tested it and think nothing beats it.

Till something better comes along.

deaththeorist

Master Member
Reaction score
The morris motley that we knew and loved, isn't that morris motley that is and will be.

Even if u claim that marketing and product quality won't affect each other, they both affect the brand as a whole. Doesn't change the fact that *I* find that video distasteful.

Btw i rmb *us* praising byvilain and hdf last time, then bashing it soon after. And they didn't even have a formula change.

Sent from me using GAGT

deaththeorist

Master Member
Reaction score

Doom and gloom! Gg! Cut cost, lab made. Cut cost, china lab made. Cut cost, child labour. Siao liaooooo down the slippery sloooooopeeeee

Sent from me using GAGT

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The morris motley that we knew and loved, isn't that morris motley that is and will be.

Even if u claim that marketing and product quality won't affect each other, they both affect the brand as a whole. Doesn't change the fact that *I* find that video distasteful.

Btw i rmb *us* praising byvilain and hdf last time, then bashing it soon after. And they didn't even have a formula change.

Sent from me using GAGT

We are because it was the "best" at the time before we are exposed to different products.

How does marketing destroy a brand? Lolool
If it does. Throw everything at home now because they are there because of marketing. Without marketing. They won't be known.
So to you, morris motley product that is made now is crap?

sansanjikikut

Master Member
Reaction score
Don't think Chrome will be as popular as the balm. Sg peeps most still prefer matte. If want shine they usually find pomade instead.

Anyway the chrome sample released last Dec and the actual product seems almost the same, only slight colour difference. Don't think there were any major reformulations along the way en route to the final release.

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Don't think Chrome will be as popular as the balm. Sg peeps most still prefer matte. If want shine they usually find pomade instead.

Anyway the chrome sample released last Dec and the actual product seems almost the same, only slight colour difference. Don't think there were any major reformulations along the way en route to the final release.

It's shinier and heavier. And yes. Sg ppl prefer matte.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.