The Hair Thread - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

dj_flame

Reaction score
Wah thats actually the kind of hairstyle i wanna have but can't have man. If it makes you feel better hahaha ************************************
It's actually inconvenient to maintain.

Long hair is more fragile and tends to fail out easier. Also, you need to condition it more often (I do every 2 days) and treat it with more care, or the strands will get frizzy and look like sad maggi mee. And when the weather gets hot, it can stink from the trapped sweat and make you feel like you're wearing a head of sebum.

BUT

When it's well-groomed you look like a majestic lion of a man, and different in a good way from all the undercuts and shaved sides that everyone has. :D

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
tried long hair, short hair.

to have pomp, your hair must be trimmed and thinned accordingly to reduce weight.

i realise i have better pomp if i have shorter fringe.

fullguard

Master Member
Reaction score
few weeks back bought dynamite clay + gold digger from gaoxing84. received a little bit of morris motley chrome as sample. really like the dynamite clay and morris motley chrome but not really a fan of the gold digger. now my gold digger only used 3~4 times before and dont feel like using liao. want to buy morris motley chrome but need use finish the gold digger first or not sayang :(

dj_flame

Reaction score
fwant to buy morris motley chrome but need use finish the gold digger first or not sayang :(
Sell for cheap on Carousel. That's the thing about products, they don't always work. Even if they do, they might still not work if you decide to change your look or wear your hair at a different length.

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
few weeks back bought dynamite clay + gold digger from gaoxing84. received a little bit of morris motley chrome as sample. really like the dynamite clay and morris motley chrome but not really a fan of the gold digger. now my gold digger only used 3~4 times before and dont feel like using liao. want to buy morris motley chrome but need use finish the gold digger first or not sayang :(

Sell the gold digger or give away. Glad that you like the chrome sample. Lol. Hoot the chrome.
Having Dynamite Clay and chrome allows you to change hairstyle whenever you want.

dj_flame

Reaction score
Today's mane looking extra fluffy and styled with a 20 cent dab of Original & Mineral's K-Gravel clay:

18Aug2016_zpsvhg9w7un.jpg~original

I managed to sweet talk the ladies of Sephora into passing me a few product samples last week. A skin and hair care label from the land down under, O&M position themselves as using wholesome organic products. Can't say if it's just marketing buzz but they seem well-regarded by women and look to be similar to Aveda, which is a reputable saloon line. Figured since I'm going to be wearing longer locks might as well look to lady products.

Also I think having more reviews and info on this thread will be most helpful and also help satiate anyone's curiosity. Onto the review.

K-Gravel works great for my hairstyle, because most importantly it's soft unlike most clays which have that hardened consistency making it a bitch to apply through thick long hair. I read on the label that K-Gravel uses a bit of coconut oil as well to give nourishment which explains its softness and lack of tug and pull.

K-Gravel feels and works similar to Morris Motley Balm. Both are easy to apply and have bentonite and koalin clays. Bentonite is a rough clay that makes strands clump together and look piecey, while kaolin is a finer clay that helps coat each strand to give volume and a matte finish. Like Morris Motley Balm, hair remains flexible with K-Gravel. However the hold is significantly weaker and K-Gravel feels alot lighter in the hair.

Think of K-Gravel as Morris Motley made for women who want a matte and pliable finish, and the hold and weight needs to be less as women's hair usually has much more length and weight than men's. Too much hold and weight and a lady's hair will fall flat at weird angles.

Another O&M product that I got was their C-Fibre paste. Similar to K-Gravel, not a lot of hold but it works great for longer hair because the hair stays flexible and can give alot of texture. Unlike K-Gravel, C-Fiber has a natural shine finish with its oils - coconut and jojoba I think, so in a way it's like Morris Motley Chrome.

C-Fibre DOES NOT harden at all unlike Chrome. It softens the strands and allows hair to maintain a natural luster throughout the day. FYI it has a sticky consistency like a putty.

Overall these are great products for LONGER hair. Just don't expect to quiff or pomp with them.

The line is mostly targeted at women even if the marketing is unisex, and they come in huge 100ml tubs similar to Morris Motley. At $44 a tub ($40 if you order from the online SG store) I would say it's reasonable value if you want just a bit of nourishment, great texture and you just plan to let hair fall naturally in place.

Hope the above info helps in your purchasing decisions.

Last edited:

nichsong

Reaction score
Nice review bro ^ fully agree that product reviews are a great topic for the forums as we are constantly looking for products that work with our difficult to style hair type as well as our humid climate.

Think your hairstyle looks great, defo a step away from the neat and sharp looks as well as the more contemporary messy hairstyles that most peeps are going for. Also cool that you're exploring products that are not advertised as "high hold". Many people think that the higher the hold, the better. As mentioned in one of my previous posts, this is not always the case especially with our fine and straight hair type. Medium to firm hold types actually have just the right amount of hold and have the ability to make our hairstyles look more natural.

Great step in helping the hairstyling community have a wider view of the hair product world!

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Nice review bro ^ fully agree that product reviews are a great topic for the forums as we are constantly looking for products that work with our difficult to style hair type as well as our humid climate.

Think your hairstyle looks great, defo a step away from the neat and sharp looks as well as the more contemporary messy hairstyles that most peeps are going for. Also cool that you're exploring products that are not advertised as "high hold". Many people think that the higher the hold, the better. As mentioned in one of my previous posts, this is not always the case especially with our fine and straight hair type. Medium to firm hold types actually have just the right amount of hold and have the ability to make our hairstyles look more natural.

Great step in helping the hairstyling community have a wider view of the hair product world!

haha problem is, not everyone has the luxury to be in the line of work that allows this kind of style.

only students and in the creative line one can

and djf is lucky to have ang moh genes. lol

darthsid11111

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I small player nia.. Just buy 1 item. Dowan to sexpose myself further.

Needless to say prompt and hassle free delivery via (non-registered) mail which is preferred over regsitered mail because no one is ever at home to receive the postman.

Sent from LGE LG-H815 using GAGT

dj_flame

Reaction score
Wah djf i never knew that buying sephora online has a different price than in store. Does shipping cancel out the difference? Do they charge for shipping anyway?
No it's free delivery - the link is here. This is sold for $44 at brick and mortar.

My theory is that there's some inventory glitch and they haven't updated it.

Tbh $40 is priced the same as Morris Motley, comes in the same size (100ml) and O&M works even better for longer hair or for women. Plus free delivery. Quite a nice bargain overall.

Again, for longer haired folks only.

haha problem is, not everyone has the luxury to be in the line of work that allows this kind of style.

only students and in the creative line one can
Haha, dude! I think it's possible you can keep your hair longer in say the finance industry! Just have to keep it neat and keep the sides slicked down.

Finance folks feel free to chime in.

and djf is lucky to have ang moh genes. lol
I'm a 100% true blue sinkie chinese male :s13:

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
No it's free delivery - the link is here. This is sold for $44 at brick and mortar.

Tbh $40 is priced the same as Morris Motley, comes in the same size (100ml) and O&M works even better for longer hair or for women. Plus free delivery. Quite a nice bargain overall.

Haha, dude! I think it's possible you can keep your hair longer in say the finance industry! Just have to keep it neat and keep the sides slicked down.

i confirm you finance or bankers cannot have your hairstyle. slick down also look untidy. lol

dj_flame

Reaction score
NEVER trust a long-haired man with your money!!! :s13:

Bloomberg staff are allowed to rock man-buns though. :s13::s13:

djoker

Reaction score
Walked around JEM today and saw a QB PREMIUM. They market themselves with the slogan "Cut and Style - $15". Saw two patrons inside getting their hair cut, both also going for classic side parts, didn't stand outside long enough to see the results but both looked promising.

Interesting to see how express cut salons like QB House are 'upping their game' and reinventing themselves to fit the current 'trend'.

I wonder if the hairstylists are of a higher grade given that they are charging $3 more than the usual QB outlets. I guess one day I will try to find out.. But first, a trip to Red Panther Barber Stylist in the coming days!

Last edited:

Sensational

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any good wax to reccommend for styling the hair upwards? Not spiky but more like just ruffling and pushing upwards. Haha. Been using uevo grey for the past few months and seeking some new wax to try man.

Thanks!

dj_flame

Reaction score
Any good wax to reccommend for styling the hair upwards? Not spiky but more like just ruffling and pushing upwards. Haha. Been using uevo grey for the past few months and seeking some new wax to try man.

Thanks!
PM-ed you. Looking to offload my EBL Taste Clay for cheap since I have no use for it :s12::s12:

deaththeorist

Master Member
Reaction score

Same price as morris? Where to find 40 sgd morris?

Sent from LGE LG-H860 using GAGT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.