The Hair Thread - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

rollanddie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone using the voi hairspray having the white flakes issue?

Everything seems okay after application(blowdry, wax, spray). I noticed the white flakes starts to show up when accidentally breaking the 'shell'.

Did I not shake it enough before spraying or what did I miss out?

Sent from Hougang Chalet using GAGT

StargazerNoir

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to this thread. Need some hair advice from the pros here. Here is my wake-up hair:
rQpGyWH.jpg

I have slightly curly hair, and when i go out whatever hairstyle i do will get messed up very quickly :/ My hair also tends to get frizzy and many strands will just behave wildly or stand up in weird directions.

I am using dove silky straight conditioner, and dominate matte wax to try and tame my hair. But the results are still so-so at best. I would apply the wax abit on after my hair has dried naturally. The hold is ok, but after a while my hair tends to just lump together.

I am open to some new hairstyles, but i do not want those pomps, quiffs or wet comb back looks. I prefer a matte look. I have browsed through the thread, and I am unfamiliar with many terms and products like sea salt, etc. Any advice will be greatly appreciated :)

dappergentleman

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to this thread. Need some hair advice from the pros here. Here is my wake-up hair:
rQpGyWH.jpg

I have slightly curly hair, and when i go out whatever hairstyle i do will get messed up very quickly :/ My hair also tends to get frizzy and many strands will just behave wildly or stand up in weird directions.

I am using dove silky straight conditioner, and dominate matte wax to try and tame my hair. But the results are still so-so at best. I would apply the wax abit on after my hair has dried naturally. The hold is ok, but after a while my hair tends to just lump together.

I am open to some new hairstyles, but i do not want those pomps, quiffs or wet comb back looks. I prefer a matte look. I have browsed through the thread, and I am unfamiliar with many terms and products like sea salt, etc. Any advice will be greatly appreciated :)

What kind of matte look in particular? Any pictures?

Well generally the SOP would be to use a prestyling agent (sea salt spray/prestyling spray) with a blowdryer for volume, texture, hold and to protect your hair from the heat. The blowdrying and prestyling process sets the foundation for styling and helps to keep the hairstyle better.

If you have hair like that, prestyling is necessary. Then for the matte look product, recommend you using a clay or a wax that has a strong hold.

Usually those off the shelf products are not very effective.

Sent from TGS using GAGT

StargazerNoir

Reaction score
What kind of matte look in particular? Any pictures?

Well generally the SOP would be to use a prestyling agent (sea salt spray/prestyling spray) with a blowdryer for volume, texture, hold and to protect your hair from the heat. The blowdrying and prestyling process sets the foundation for styling and helps to keep the hairstyle better.

If you have hair like that, prestyling is necessary. Then for the matte look product, recommend you using a clay or a wax that has a strong hold.

Usually those off the shelf products are not very effective.

Sent from TGS using GAGT

thanks for the reply. Hmm no particular look i have in mind in particular, just something simple and can be easily maintained and all. Is a blowdryer necessary? I am ok with trying the seasalt if it is good, but I am not exactly keen on using a blowdryer as i like to let my hair dry naturally.
I have ordered the hdf claymation to see if that works better.
And perhaps you can elaborate what is this sea salt and how I am supposed to use it? I am very much lost with all this products, and this is basically the first time i have heard the term prestyling haha.

dappergentleman

Reaction score
thanks for the reply. Hmm no particular look i have in mind in particular, just something simple and can be easily maintained and all. Is a blowdryer necessary? I am ok with trying the seasalt if it is good, but I am not exactly keen on using a blowdryer as i like to let my hair dry naturally.
And perhaps you can elaborate what is this sea salt and how I am supposed to use it? I am very much lost with all this products, and this is basically the first time i have heard the term prestyling haha.
The heat of the blowdryer (or at times the lack of it) helps to create volume, and it sets the shape of the hair you desire if used right. It basically makes hard to manage hair easier to work with. Asian hair is mostly very stubborn, and we need all the help we can get really.

The sea salt spray or prestyler Spray is basically a spritz Spray you use before you apply your wax or clay. You need to use that with a blowdryer.

Sent from TGS using GAGT

StargazerNoir

Reaction score
The heat of the blowdryer (or at times the lack of it) helps to create volume, and it sets the shape of the hair you desire if used right. It basically makes hard to manage hair easier to work with. Asian hair is mostly very stubborn, and we need all the help we can get really.

The sea salt spray or prestyler Spray is basically a spritz Spray you use before you apply your wax or clay. You need to use that with a blowdryer.

Sent from TGS using GAGT

Hey thanks dappergentleman, I think since my hair is natually abit curly, maybe a wavy look with some fringe infront will look fine. So claymation+sea salt spray+hair dryer is what i need?

Any recommendation for the sss and blow dryer? Or is the gaoxing guy's 50$ blowdryer still available?

All in a Day

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

If u have no particular look in mind n fuss free is your criteria, based on your hair length and 'condition' of the out of bed hair (sides dont pomp out) i would seriously suggest going along w your natural look. Trust me, u would save lots of time n money. Of cos i feel u should still invest in a good wax or clay for those days u need to style the hair, but otherwise your current hair is good to go as it is, if u ask me.

deaththeorist

Master Member
Reaction score
If u have no particular look in mind n fuss free is your criteria, based on your hair length and 'condition' of the out of bed hair (sides dont pomp out) i would seriously suggest going along w your natural look. Trust me, u would save lots of time n money. Of cos i feel u should still invest in a good wax or clay for those days u need to style the hair, but otherwise your current hair is good to go as it is, if u ask me.

agree with this

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hey thanks dappergentleman, I think since my hair is natually abit curly, maybe a wavy look with some fringe infront will look fine. So claymation+sea salt spray+hair dryer is what i need?

Any recommendation for the sss and blow dryer? Or is the gaoxing guy's 50$ blowdryer still available?

bo liao.

and your hair, grow it out if you wanna style.
if not leave it as it is.
less fuss.

StargazerNoir

Reaction score
Hey thanks deaththeorist,All in a Day and gaoxing. My wake up hair is generally fine, as in the picture. I would not have even thought to do anything to it if this is how my hair looked when i go out. I am not complaining about my wake up hair, just wanted to show how my hair is, since there are different types like thin hair thick hair etc. So i tot i gpgt can have better advice this way :)

Unfortunately, my hair gets unkempt very quickly in outdoor conditions. Just travelling to a nearby place will cause it to look quite horrible sadly. The front fringe will curl and clutter together, the back will almost always stand up and the sides will have many strands poking out. Sounds a bit drastic but is true. Sometimes i reach the bus stop i check my reflection on the bus's windows will got a shock :/

I am happy enough if my wakeup hair =my go out hair.

dappergentleman

Reaction score
rQpGyWH.jpg

You have pm bro

Sent from TGS using GAGT

deaththeorist

Master Member
Reaction score
Hey thanks deaththeorist,All in a Day and gaoxing. My wake up hair is generally fine, as in the picture. I would not have even thought to do anything to it if this is how my hair looked when i go out. I am not complaining about my wake up hair, just wanted to show how my hair is, since there are different types like thin hair thick hair etc. So i tot i gpgt can have better advice this way :)

Unfortunately, my hair gets unkempt very quickly in outdoor conditions. Just travelling to a nearby place will cause it to look quite horrible sadly. The front fringe will curl and clutter together, the back will almost always stand up and the sides will have many strands poking out. Sounds a bit drastic but is true. Sometimes i reach the bus stop i check my reflection on the bus's windows will got a shock :/

So in a way you're asking how to achieve your wake up hair?

Sent from a based SONY using GAGT

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I think you need min wax or Clay to keep them in place. Done. No need anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.