The Hair Thread - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

dappergentleman

Reaction score
Mr. Postman came knocking on my door today to pass me my glass jar of Daimon Barber 4 from a good friend of mine, TGS.

xvt1Cgol.jpg

It was packaged quite nicely with a thick layer of bubble wrap. But even so, i still end up with a broken piece most prolly due to rough handling from Mr. Postman's coy.

LNraitSl.jpg

Even though the cover broke a bit, the sealant is still intact and i believe it can still keep the contents in the jar fresh.

The glass jar feels heavy (duh since it's made of glass) and the labelling is really not bad. Quite impressed with the label, a lil glossy and can see one that they really put in some effort into making the labels. So far one of the nicest sticker label, next to crystal lake.

Opening it up, the smell is really nice: woodsy, cologney smell. Smells alot like my Klorane quinine shampoo. Very pleasant and masculine smell.

dEH0Yy1l.jpg

Really excited to try this pomade tomorrow. Heard really good reviews of it from the bros here in hwz as well. Will try this tomorrow and will give another review once i got enough feel of this wonderful product from Daimon Barber...

Sent from Carl Sagan's secret spaceship using GAGT
Next time need 4/5 layer of bubble wrap :(

Spare cover search in progress!!!!!!

Sent from TGS using GAGT

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
tmr give lockhart another chance. haha use lesser this time round.
oh ya, its pretty heavy by the end of the day, with my natural scalp and hair oil.
requires 2x shampooing to full get rid of it but i think i may have use a little too much.

let's try it again tmr.

then it will be crystal lake, i heard its damn shiny

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I bought DB No.4 yesterday and apply it dry on my hair this morning..
I agree and surprised that it's a light weight clay.. because of reviews that compared it with HDF Claymation. I like the matte finish but not the hold which is not what I'm looking for. Maybe I should try to apply more tomorrow morning.

lol@claymation :s13::s12:

whysoliddat

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
oh ya, its pretty heavy by the end of the day, with my natural scalp and hair oil.
requires 2x shampooing to full get rid of it but i think i may have use a little too much.

let's try it again tmr.

When i use Lockhart clay, at first it's okay, then flop quite fast. Then use hand to comb, all messy liao. Then use my fork comb atleast a bit better but the hold is really not there. Cannot handle my natural parting. Many cos i used too little? Alot of tug and pull, my hair becomes utterly dry instead.

But to me baxter at least fares better in a sense that baxter has lesser stray hairs and managed to follow the natural wave of my hair. But lockhart clay lacks that something. I duno what. Maybe it's really formulated well only for angmoh climate.

And that's why i say it has that pomade feeling of being a little waxy and shampoos off like an oil based light hold pomade...

Last edited:

whysoliddat

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

let's try it again tmr.

I fell in love with crystal lake once. But i warn you first, it's damn oily and a lil waxy at first (duh it's a pomade), but the oil will somewhat absorb in the hair cos grape seed oil has high absorbency. The hold is very chui to me. I think only good for comb back or side comb. Smell to me ish wonderful, but once u keep smelling for 1 month plus, your nose will get desensitised to it and soon you'll grow sick of the smell...

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
When i use Lockhart clay, at first it's okay, then flop quite fast. Then use hand to comb, all messy liao. Then use my fork comb atleast a bit better but the hold is really not there. Cannot handle my natural parting. Many cos i used too little? Alot of tug and pull, my hair becomes utterly dry instead.

But to me baxter at least fares better in a sense that baxter has lesser stray hairs and managed to follow the natural wave of my hair. But lockhart clay lacks that something. I duno what. Maybe it's really formulated well only for angmoh climate.

And that's why i say it has that pomade feeling of being a little waxy and shampoos off like an oil based light hold pomade...

they are pretty similar in terms of the finish but hold wise baxter is stronger.
that make sense to me as baxter is slightly harder to wash off.

I fell in love with crystal lake once. But i warn you first, it's damn oily and a lil waxy at first (duh it's a pomade), but the oil will somewhat absorb in the hair cos grape seed oil has high absorbency. The hold is very chui to me. I think only good for comb back or side comb. Smell to me ish wonderful, but once u keep smelling for 1 month plus, your nose will get desensitised to it and soon you'll grow sick of the smell...

ahhh, so probably i won't like it but i like the design. hahaha one day try and give my inputs haha

whysoliddat

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Today use Lockhart matte Clay again.
This time use half of what I use ytd.
Barely any hold, this time is really feel like med hold. Still have slight sheen. Same look thought. Nothing near matte.
I think bb60 might have more hold as its slightly heavier with a creamier waxy hold. Lockhart more paste like thought.
I still give it to Baxter. Haha
But I will still use Lockhart from time to time.

Anyone wants a sample can pm me. Self collect or postage at $2.

dj_flame

Reaction score
Today use Lockhart matte Clay again.
This time use half of what I use ytd.
Barely any hold, this time is really feel like med hold. Still have slight sheen. Same look thought. Nothing near matte.
I think bb60 might have more hold as its slightly heavier with a creamier waxy hold. Lockhart more paste like thought.
I still give it to Baxter. Haha
But I will still use Lockhart from time to time.

Anyone wants a sample can pm me. Self collect or postage at $2.
This is why I take all of James' reviews with a pinch of salt. Different climate and more importantly, different hair goals.

darthsid11111

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

What would be a good product that's in-between 90proof and baxter's?

dj_flame

Reaction score
^ One is a sticky cream-wax-putty hybrid and gives a slicked down look. The other is a dry-ish clay and produces a textured finish.

Both would be considered heavier in weight and each has a varying degree of shine - Blind Barber's 90 Proof has a medium-light shine that dies down slowly over the day, Baxter's has a hint of shine that turns matte as the day goes on.

If you wanted an aggregate, good old trusty Gold Digger or Sliver Fox is a actually pretty close bet - its heavy and sticky, has a touch of shine, and can give either a textured finish or a slicked down look if applied correctly.

Morris Motley is like a superior creamier, no oil version of Baxter with way less weight, way easier application, and a matte finish out and out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.