The Hair Thread - Part 5

nez

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Still fully restylable, just stiffer in the hair. It doesn't have a name yet tho, as far as i know. Release date is expected to be from mid Oct to early Nov

ok. Thanks

leejhong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi

Can anyone recommend me hair tonic to nourish my hair?

A little background of myself.

I am a male in the mid 20s.

I have just went to a salon and they did a scan for me. The scan shows that i have oily scalp. Most of my pores only have 1 strand of hair and for those that have 2/3, the second or third strand are very short.

The person doing the scan keeps recommending for me to buy tonic for my hair.

Can anyone advise if there are any products in the market that i should try or if i should buy from the salon itself?

Otherwise, kindly advise the "ingredients" that i should look out for in a hair tonic.

Side note: I do not apply any products to my hair other than shampoo at the moment

Thanks in advance

Not often that we get posts like this, as it's usually more on styling products.
But I recently got a blog post on this. You may like to give it a read:
https://theprettyjerk.com/scalp-treatment-review/

In conclusion, yes hair tonic is definitely one possible option to look at.

I would say going for products sold by salon or not, is indifferent. As long as the product quality is good, it doesn't matter whether is it sold by salon.
Some products are salon-exclusive and it may not be sold in Singapore too. But the e-commerce market place transcends across geographical boundaries nowadays, so it does not become a concern too.

You should probably start investing in a good shampoo (preferably an anti hair loss one) as a first step, before complementing it with hair tonic/ampoule. Because cleansing the scalp is fundamentally the most important step for any of these products to work well.

Hellos!

Reaction score
Not often that we get posts like this, as it's usually more on styling products.
But I recently got a blog post on this. You may like to give it a read:
https://theprettyjerk.com/scalp-treatment-review/

In conclusion, yes hair tonic is definitely one possible option to look at.

I would say going for products sold by salon or not, is indifferent. As long as the product quality is good, it doesn't matter whether is it sold by salon.
Some products are salon-exclusive and it may not be sold in Singapore too. But the e-commerce market place transcends across geographical boundaries nowadays, so it does not become a concern too.

You should probably start investing in a good shampoo (preferably an anti hair loss one) as a first step, before complementing it with hair tonic/ampoule. Because cleansing the scalp is fundamentally the most important step for any of these products to work well.

Hi

That explains why I am unable to find any topic on hair tonic in this thread.

I thought that "Hair Thread" is all about hair. Did not expect it to be about styling of hairs.

I was using the same shampoo for quite some time (About 2 Bottles). However, I have notice the increasing hairs on the floor be it in my room or the bathroom when I am washing my hair.

I have recently bought a new shampoo and I hope the new one works.

The reason why I am asking for opinion is because I am always hesitant about the products which they are trying to upsell to us.

I guess the only way is to be a guinea pig by trying out all the different brands of hair tonic off the shelf or the tonic sold by the salon.

Hey bro, the salon industry will always be trying to sell you products by claiming that you have XX issue / s. It's a marketing tactic.

Realistically speaking, there is little you can do to combat oily scalp. It's just genetics - your body produces more oil than average on your scalp area. I have oily scalp myself.

Some tips: Be sure to shampoo by focusing on the scalp - use your fingers (the tips, not the fingernails) to gently massage in the shampoo. After washing it off, check again. Some spots feel a little oilier? Add a little more shampoo and go to work on those specific spots.

That way, you can help prevent the build up of oil and grease that will clog your pores, inhabiting hair growth.

Hope this helps!

She showed me my scalp using the scanner. Not sure if it is true or maybe a marketing tactic.

I will try to do as you have advised.

Just a question, do you shampoo everyday?

I have read online that it is not necessary to do it everyday. Rinse with water is sufficient?

leejhong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi

I thought that "Hair Thread" is all about hair. Did not expect it to be about styling of hairs.

I was using the same shampoo for quite some time (About 2 Bottles). However, I have notice the increasing hairs on the floor be it in my room or the bathroom when I am washing my hair.

The reason why I am asking for opinion is because I am always hesitant about the products which they are trying to upsell to us.

I guess the only way is to be a guinea pig by trying out all the different brands of hair tonic off the shelf or the tonic sold by the salon.

1. I would say take their products’ recommendation with a pinch of salt (ie if they give you multiple recommendations, dont have to go for the best). You can bet that it wont be one that is worth the price. Objectively, you need to do something to fix your issue. Look at this from another angle - you can spend a little more money in the beginning to understand what kind of products suit you (easiest is from salons; assuming you’re going to one that is decent) / to remedy the situation. Then, you can move on and tweak accordingly.

2. You dun have to try all products unless you’re rich. Understand the problem that you are having. I understand such that your hair pores are rather clogged so each pore cannot allow maximum growth of hair strands (for asians chinese, its approx 3 hair strands while indians will be 4-5). If it is only 1 hair strand now, it simply means that you need to unclog it asap if not once its totally blocked, hair growth from that pore (in question) will be impossible.

It also depends on how severe the condition is.

Use an anti hair loss shampoo if there isnt too many pores w this problem. Complement it w hair tonic if its severe. Alternatively, you can also go for scalp treatment w salons too.

leejhong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
She showed me my scalp using the scanner. Not sure if it is true or maybe a marketing tactic.

I have read online that it is not necessary to do it everyday. Rinse with water is sufficient?

Allow me to contribute my 2cents too. :)

If the scanner is not showing you the truth, I dont know what else will. Definitely not one’s words, for sure. Do your due diligence and evaluation.

1. Did they scan for the different parts of your hair? For me, the area near my “zun” was the worst. This resonates with me because I tend to ignore that area while shampoo-ing.

2. Get them to show you references as comparison. Below is the picture before I did scalp treatment with my salon. The white filmy layer (which looks thin and translucent) is the dead skin on my scalp.
Image-1-Before.jpg

After I did the first scalp treatment, you can see that it's much cleaner. These dead skin (shampoo can't remove these) have significantly reduced.
Image-1-After.jpg

3. My 2cents: You should be shampoo-ing everyday. Not twice. Just once (possibly at night). Over cleansing will aggravate the rate of hair fall/loss. But if you doesnt cleanse, it doesn’t necessarily mean that the condition will improve. For instance, if a person has oily scalp, what do you think will happen if he doesnt shampoo daily? The pores will clog up one day, possibly very soon.

Last edited:

ichinisan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any Stickmore Styling Cream users? Does it have a strong hold and is it easy to wash off with shampoo?

queerquirks

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi

Online articles is for western country, during their winter especially.

This is Asia, Singapore, near the equator. Humidity and oil build up is a given. Shampoo once daily is a must.

nichsong

Reaction score
Hi all, to all who are interested - one of the owners of gerson and co. and some other reviewers have created a pomade enthusiast group on telegram for those who'd like to join:

http://t.me/pomadesg

Cheers!

turboo

Reaction score
Which styling product can I use to keep my short hair up the whole day if I only want to use ONE product (i.e. no SSS/volumizer)?

For SSS, if it contains only salt, then what is the difference between buying an expensive bottle vs mixing your own?

Separately, does anyone use the Reuzel grooming tonic by itself without any styler?

Last edited:

tanteidaiko

Reaction score
Which styling product can I use to keep my short hair up the whole day if I only want to use ONE product (i.e. no SSS/volumizer)?

For SSS, if it contains only salt, then what is the difference between buying an expensive bottle vs mixing your own?

Separately, does anyone use the Reuzel grooming tonic by itself without any styler?

First question is what kind of shine are you looking for? Matte? Natural? High shine? I may recommend you a product, but the shine level may not be what you want. Also any particular type you want? Oil based? Clay? Cream?

Difference between your own SSS and outside are the ingredients. Some includes hair oils, certain clays, waxes, etc. These can serve to nourish your hair, add more hold/texture.
You can definitely make your own, i've done so myself, but you may need to purchase other ingredients such as hair oil, emulsifiers, because sea salt itself doesn't do much.

turboo

Reaction score
First question is what kind of shine are you looking for? Matte? Natural? High shine? I may recommend you a product, but the shine level may not be what you want. Also any particular type you want? Oil based? Clay? Cream?

Difference between your own SSS and outside are the ingredients. Some includes hair oils, certain clays, waxes, etc. These can serve to nourish your hair, add more hold/texture.
You can definitely make your own, i've done so myself, but you may need to purchase other ingredients such as hair oil, emulsifiers, because sea salt itself doesn't do much.

looking for matte/natural. clay or cream is fine.

How difficult is it to DIY?

Hellos!

Reaction score
Hi All

Sorry for the late reply. I do not use my computer on weekdays.

1. I would say take their products’ recommendation with a pinch of salt (ie if they give you multiple recommendations, dont have to go for the best). You can bet that it wont be one that is worth the price. Objectively, you need to do something to fix your issue. Look at this from another angle - you can spend a little more money in the beginning to understand what kind of products suit you (easiest is from salons; assuming you’re going to one that is decent) / to remedy the situation. Then, you can move on and tweak accordingly.

2. You dun have to try all products unless you’re rich. Understand the problem that you are having. I understand such that your hair pores are rather clogged so each pore cannot allow maximum growth of hair strands (for asians chinese, its approx 3 hair strands while indians will be 4-5). If it is only 1 hair strand now, it simply means that you need to unclog it asap if not once its totally blocked, hair growth from that pore (in question) will be impossible.

It also depends on how severe the condition is.

Use an anti hair loss shampoo if there isnt too many pores w this problem. Complement it w hair tonic if its severe. Alternatively, you can also go for scalp treatment w salons too.

Thanks for your advise. I was taking their advise with a pinch of salt and that was why i attempted to seek advise to see if anyone can recommend a hair tonic that is in the market.

I am now trying to go every week hoping to clean my scalp =(

Allow me to contribute my 2cents too. :)

If the scanner is not showing you the truth, I dont know what else will. Definitely not one’s words, for sure. Do your due diligence and evaluation.

1. Did they scan for the different parts of your hair? For me, the area near my “zun” was the worst. This resonates with me because I tend to ignore that area while shampoo-ing.

2. Get them to show you references as comparison. Below is the picture before I did scalp treatment with my salon. The white filmy layer (which looks thin and translucent) is the dead skin on my scalp.
Image-1-Before.jpg

After I did the first scalp treatment, you can see that it's much cleaner. These dead skin (shampoo can't remove these) have significantly reduced.
Image-1-After.jpg

3. My 2cents: You should be shampoo-ing everyday. Not twice. Just once (possibly at night). Over cleansing will aggravate the rate of hair fall/loss. But if you doesnt cleanse, it doesn’t necessarily mean that the condition will improve. For instance, if a person has oily scalp, what do you think will happen if he doesnt shampoo daily? The pores will clog up one day, possibly very soon.

1) Yes they scan different parts of the hair. She was telling me that the sides and back are very normal (2 to 3 strands). The middle is the one which only has 1 strand remaining. And if there are 2 strands, the second one will always be a short and tiny one.

2) I was trying very hard to understand the pic when they were showing me my head during the scan. Even though i do not understand from looking at the screen, she was telling me that it is oily.

3) It is so scary to be shampooing my hair now. Whenever I am trying to wash off the shampoo, i think 10 strands will be together with the foam.
(I know that it is normal for a person to drop 50 to 100 hairs every day. But dropping more than 10 at once is quite a scary sight imo. Did not see it previously. Maybe i am just scaring myself)
Even though this is the case, I am still shampooing it everyday hoping things get better =(
Online articles is for western country, during their winter especially.

This is Asia, Singapore, near the equator. Humidity and oil build up is a given. Shampoo once daily is a must.

Thanks for your reply. I will try my best

Last edited:

Laachino

Reaction score
Hi,

Any shampoo recommendations meant for oily scalp and some hair fall issues?

tanteidaiko

Reaction score
looking for matte/natural. clay or cream is fine.

How difficult is it to DIY?

Clays - Arcadian Clay, Firsthand Clay, Stickmore Clay Fiber
Paste - Arcadian Matte Paste
Cream - Stickmore Styling Cream

There's a lot to consider for DIY. You have to research on ingredients you want that could be used into the product. And what you wanna achieve with that product.

xiasuaykia

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I've been using MM for the past 2.5 years (plus/minus), and easily used around 8 to 10 bottles but recently I purchased a bottle of MM, dunno why it looks different.

It looks a lot more yellowish, not as pliable, feels too sticky to the point i was tugging my hair when running my fingers through and the hold is like shiat.

Any one experience the same? Btw i bought my MM from SGpomades, purchased a couple bottles from them, and this is my 1st time experience this.

tanteidaiko

Reaction score
I've been using MM for the past 2.5 years (plus/minus), and easily used around 8 to 10 bottles but recently I purchased a bottle of MM, dunno why it looks different.

It looks a lot more yellowish, not as pliable, feels too sticky to the point i was tugging my hair when running my fingers through and the hold is like shiat.

Any one experience the same? Btw i bought my MM from SGpomades, purchased a couple bottles from them, and this is my 1st time experience this.

Talk to Alvin about it. I believe they have an exchange policy. Hit him up, take some pics and show him.

my an lien

Reaction score
Guys, any recommendation for salon or barbershop that can do good bleaching. I wanna go all white.

jamesinsights

Reaction score
Has anybody tried thickening tonic or mousse for fine hair? I see a lot of recommendations on sea salt spray in all the hair threads but nobody seems to recommend other pre-stylers. Any experiences?

aloysiuschia

Reaction score
Following.

I am facing same exact problem now with hair fall during every shampooing or just combing hair. Have not been to a scan yet though

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.