The Hair Thread - Part 5

unrealx262

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
so far im using shear revival. not bad citrus smell easy wash off and good hold for half of day medium hair length

x3dnd3x

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone got recommendation where to buy brushes and combs?

Intend to keep my hair longer now since posted to office hour for attachment of 1 year.

leejhong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone got recommendation where to buy brushes and combs?

Intend to keep my hair longer now since posted to office hour for attachment of 1 year.
Bro, you can try Kent Brush. I used to have one a long time back. But if you don't mind those unknown brands (since it's brushes), I have one here too. It's a round boar bristle brush, for creating great volume. Works great w seasalt spray too. If not using SSS, it works well as well as its meant to help overcome the typical asian's heavy and limp hair. The brush size is perfect for guys' hair length too. Just to share and hope it helps! :)

leejhong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
how to make moar volume and less mushroomy

typical straight hair no shape. fringe keep poking to eye. side welly puffy

ontop flat. behind layer. :(

nowadays what u all use for styling hair gasby wax? Or what people call promenade now days?

see everybody cutting like kpop like dragon ball hair nowdays
You should have said this to your hairstylist and get their professional advice. The crown needs to be layered so that you can bring out the texture in the hair w the help of hair styling products. Because there is only so much that hair styling products can do for you. To complement the hair shape and style that is there. So the first and foremost step is to get a good hair shape done by your hairstylist.

As for the sides, if its v thick or "puffy" as what you mentioned, at least your hair is growing well and healthy. It's a good problem actually. Get the hairstylist to cut it short if it grows too fast. Usually for myself, I go w number #1. Also, I would suggest to skip gatsby products unless you know what you're doing.

silentears

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You should have said this to your hairstylist and get their professional advice. The crown needs to be layered so that you can bring out the texture in the hair w the help of hair styling products. Because there is only so much that hair styling products can do for you. To complement the hair shape and style that is there. So the first and foremost step is to get a good hair shape done by your hairstylist.

As for the sides, if its v thick or "puffy" as what you mentioned, at least your hair is growing well and healthy. It's a good problem actually. Get the hairstylist to cut it short if it grows too fast. Usually for myself, I go w number #1. Also, I would suggest to skip gatsby products unless you know what you're doing.

thanks.
prob is.. i have been going to neighborhood shops to cut

leejhong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
thanks.
prob is.. i have been going to neighborhood shops to cut
I see bro. If your hair length is short, try to grow it longer so that your hairstylist will have much room to play with / more options to suggest to you as well. Not all neighbourhood hairstylists are bad TBH. That being said - Depending on where you go too, it is usually better to pay more and engage the services of a better hairstylist (for their eye for details, judgement of your face shape and what hairstyle suits you more) for the "makeover".

nez

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Recently buzz cut my own hair. Still looking to get big enough brush to brush off hair from the scalp during clipping.
I tried local eCommerce platforms but theirs is all very small.
Know where to get those big/medium barber type of brush, that is inexpensive?

Arcrise

Reaction score
Hi all, new to using hair products here.

I recently got the Firsthand Supply Clay Pomade and tried using it (without any other product) and realized that it doesn’t hold for too long especially when it’s windy. (I have relatively short/flat hair and am just parting/combing my hair upwards for volume)

Does anyone have any tips to prevent my hairstyle from going haywire with this pomade when there’s strong winds?

freshvibes

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any good conditioner to recommend for dry hair?

Preferably those for using after shampoo and wash off.

leejhong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all, new to using hair products here.

I recently got the Firsthand Supply Clay Pomade and tried using it (without any other product) and realized that it doesn’t hold for too long especially when it’s windy. (I have relatively short/flat hair and am just parting/combing my hair upwards for volume)

Does anyone have any tips to prevent my hairstyle from going haywire with this pomade when there’s strong winds?
If it works well for you but only start to flop a couple of hours later or when there's strong winds, you should consider using finishing hairspray. The job of a finishing hairspray is to hold and fix the hairstyle in place throughout the day. This will solve your problem. You can check out this link here, for possible options.

leejhong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any good conditioner to recommend for dry hair?

Preferably those for using after shampoo and wash off.
Do you usually style your hair daily or frequently? If so, you should consider those non-greasy and lightweight conditioner. This is to avoid having the added weight onto the hair, which makes the styling harder for you. Else, either greasy or non-greasy hair conditioner will be fine.

I would recommend Vogne acidic conditioner (greasy) or Taring PPT Repair Mask (non-greasy).
Again, many options out there but sharing a couple of options w the community here.

turboo

Reaction score
can anyone recommend the strongest hold matte clay/wax that is relatively easy to wash off in the shower? I tried beesmade/gatsby pomade and it barely held. currently using the pink gatsby one, holds well but hard to style.

in all instances, they were pre-styled with reuzel's hair tonic and hair dryer on mid temp.

xeonboy

Banned
Reaction score
Are there any hair wax that will harden (very hard hold) and easy to wash? The type that will turn the hair quite hard after applying.
The hairdresser told me for fine, limp thin hair, it's better to use hard wax. He used to use this no-name brand (which is now out of stock and no longer in production) and it turns the hair hard, but not sure if there's anything similar. I'm currently looking at Nakano styling wax 7.

Currently using Ubersuave matte wax. It provides some volume and texture, but hold wise, not that strong. But still better than many others out there.

freshvibes

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Do you usually style your hair daily or frequently? If so, you should consider those non-greasy and lightweight conditioner. This is to avoid having the added weight onto the hair, which makes the styling harder for you. Else, either greasy or non-greasy hair conditioner will be fine.

I would recommend Vogne acidic conditioner (greasy) or Taring PPT Repair Mask (non-greasy).
Again, many options out there but sharing a couple of options w the community here.

Styling of hair only occasionally. Not that often.

Thanks for the recommendations!

leejhong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
can anyone recommend the strongest hold matte clay/wax that is relatively easy to wash off in the shower? I tried beesmade/gatsby pomade and it barely held. currently using the pink gatsby one, holds well but hard to style.

in all instances, they were pre-styled with reuzel's hair tonic and hair dryer on mid temp.
You can consider Indians extra strong hold molding clay. It is a dry textured clay which comes w v strong hold. The washability is decent too, so this product should work well for you. That being said - being a dry textured clay, it can be towards the dry side and requires rubbing onto palms first (for it to work well) prior to application.

leejhong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Are there any hair wax that will harden (very hard hold) and easy to wash? The type that will turn the hair quite hard after applying.
The hairdresser told me for fine, limp thin hair, it's better to use hard wax. He used to use this no-name brand (which is now out of stock and no longer in production) and it turns the hair hard, but not sure if there's anything similar. I'm currently looking at Nakano styling wax 7.

Currently using Ubersuave matte wax. It provides some volume and texture, but hold wise, not that strong. But still better than many others out there.
Syoss wax is one option that you can look at. It hardens after application so you need to work fast after applying onto the hair. The hold is insanely strong and yes this product works v well for people with fine hair (hard to hold styles well).

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.