The Hair Thread - Part 5

leejhong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
salt sprays are so 2019 ish haha ..
I think now trend is to use hair tonic oils for pre styling. Just search for hair tonic from the usual reputable brands
Seasalt spray builds a base structure in the hair, to aid main styling.

Hair tonic adds moisture and life to the hair, and in turn helpful for people w dry and frizzy hair. But as the name explains, it adds weight to the hair. While suitable for some, I am unsure if most would find it useful as a pre-styler. Of course, it is contingent on the type of hairstyle that one is going for too.

I would use both products on different days and for different reasons, simply because they are different products per se.

ecan07

Reaction score
salt sprays are so 2019 ish haha ..
I think now trend is to use hair tonic oils for pre styling. Just search for hair tonic from the usual reputable brands
Not really... Recently i have been experimenting with hair thickening tonic + sea salt spray cos i have the lethal combi of thin and fine hair. using thickening tonic on damp hair then before fully dry put on some SSS. it does give a decent result, both thickness and vol.
on days i'm not heading to too many places sometimes i just do tonic, sometimes i just do SSS. without a clay/spray though it will eventually flatten still. regardless of which combi u do. Tonic on its own doesn't give much volume still.
Will be experimenting tonic + SSS + MM treatment balm to see how that works.

sansanjikikut

Master Member
Reaction score
I used to like SSS a lot last time but found it too drying over the long term hence I swapped to lightweight hair tonic with blow dryer combo. Of cos don’t over apply, need to experiment with the right amount for your hair.

timmyc

Reaction score
Hi guys I am trying to find the right product for my hair, prefer the "wet" kind of layered look, just out of shower kind. but would want something light and with volume, and yet slightly wet.

Haircut is in a 2-block short to medium length.

where can we find such a product?

5adisticD3vil

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Need some help here.

My scalp is those super oily type, sweat abit nia and whole head and hair is oily.
Hair is thinning quite bad because of it.
was told that i need to take care of the oily scalp problem first then the hair thinning.

any idea how to take care of the oily scalp issue beside going to see doc or clinic for it?

had been using shampoo for oily hair like grafen and dr groot, they are good for like a few hours after shampooing and before i start sweating again.
but in sg this kinda weather how to not sweat?

xRenol

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Need some help here.

My scalp is those super oily type, sweat abit nia and whole head and hair is oily.
Hair is thinning quite bad because of it.
was told that i need to take care of the oily scalp problem first then the hair thinning.

any idea how to take care of the oily scalp issue beside going to see doc or clinic for it?

had been using shampoo for oily hair like grafen and dr groot, they are good for like a few hours after shampooing and before i start sweating again.
but in sg this kinda weather how to not sweat?
Have you try those deep scalp cleansing shampoo?

Grafen and Dr. Groot shampoo are mainly used for anti hair loss.

5adisticD3vil

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Have you try those deep scalp cleansing shampoo?

Grafen and Dr. Groot shampoo are mainly used for anti hair loss.

no. mainly i use shampoo for oily scalp and thats it
any recommendation for deep scalp cleansing shampoo?

xRenol

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
no. mainly i use shampoo for oily scalp and thats it
any recommendation for deep scalp cleansing shampoo?
You can considering Q8 Carbolic Moisturizing Shampoo (some people feedback that it can be too dry for them) from The Pretty Jerk or Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Special Shampoo.

Q8 Carbolic Moisturizing Shampoo is out of stock currently based on the website.

All in a Day

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You can considering Q8 Carbolic Moisturizing Shampoo (some people feedback that it can be too dry for them) from The Pretty Jerk or Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Special Shampoo.

Q8 Carbolic Moisturizing Shampoo is out of stock currently based on the website.
If it’s too dry for some ppl, then it’s prob good for (very) oily scalp issue..

leejhong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the recommendation, bro :)

Q8 Carbolic shampoo has been replaced with two other products:
1. Tai Hair Green Tea shampoo (gentler) or
2. Tai Hair Tea Tree shampoo (stronger)

Like what bro xRenol pointed out - If the scalp is too dry (e.g. due to overcleansing), it can lead to a different set of problem. Hence, you need to find the optimal point. In this case, some people whose scalp is extremely oily, can and should take a look at Tair Hair Tea tree shampoo. It is a deep cleansing shampoo that is recommended to be used on average 3 times per week. Again, it varies for everyone so you need to find what works best for you.

For others who are not having issues w oily scalp but more of wanting to keep it clean (e.g. people who style hair everyday are good candidates), can consider using Tai Hair Green Tea shampoo as a form of a daily deep cleansing shampoo. It is gentle enough to be used daily yet not over-cleansing your scalp.

Note: Deep cleansing shampoo are typically recommended to use 2-3 times per week.

leejhong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys I am trying to find the right product for my hair, prefer the "wet" kind of layered look, just out of shower kind. but would want something light and with volume, and yet slightly wet.

Haircut is in a 2-block short to medium length.

where can we find such a product?
To recap your requirements,

1. High shine product (i.e. high weight)
2. Lightweight (i.e. typically product w slight sheen at most)
3. Volume (i.e. no main styling product - hair wax/clay/pomade - can create volume effectively)

If you can see, point #1 and #2 contradicts each other.
Suggest that you can strike a balance and go for something in between, such as slight sheen. One such option is: Syoss Tu-re Wax
Alternatively, you can consider topping it off w a finishing hairspray, which can add hold and shine at the same time. One such option is: EBL Hairspray

For point #3 - Main styling product (i.e. wax/clay etc) are responsible for creating hair texture.
If you want volume, the product that is responsible for doing this is a pre-styler (i.e. seasalt spray).
Many other alternatives are available too, for instance perming your hair or using a boar bristle round brush during blowdrying.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.