The Hair Thread - Part 5

cesc88

Reaction score
Hi all! Anyone has any hair styling powder to recommend? Looking for one with strong hold and matte finish. looking to use it to style a textured crop haircut

nichsong

Reaction score
Hi all! Anyone has any hair styling powder to recommend? Looking for one with strong hold and matte finish. looking to use it to style a textured crop haircut
I used to like By Vilain Blow but it's currently out of production. I think apestomen's (local white label brand) volcanic ash is pretty decent.

Some advice though: Powders can leave your hair dry and tangly with constant use. An alternative: Use a light application of clay on damp hair and blow dry. Use your hand to fluff and "mess up" your hair to bring out the texture at the same time. If need be, use a light misting of hairspray after if you want it locked in.

nichsong

Reaction score
Anybody tried this Patricks S2? Any reviews?
Have tried it at the studio where I get my haircut. I think it's decent. Lightweight, provides some shine with a medium hold. Worth the $60-$70+ price tag? That's debatable. But if you have the cash to splash, why not?

decade

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Have tried it at the studio where I get my haircut. I think it's decent. Lightweight, provides some shine with a medium hold. Worth the $60-$70+ price tag? That's debatable. But if you have the cash to splash, why not?
Wats it’s smell like? Compared to MM how?

nichsong

Reaction score
Wats it’s smell like? Compared to MM how?
Wow it’s very different from MM tho in terms of performance. I would say if you are looking for an MM replacement, Patrick’s ain’t it.

MM products have moisture absorbing properties (from the clay content) that swell and bulk the hair shaft. I didn’t get that same effect with Patrick’s.

I can’t rmb exactly what it smelt like, but it had this cologne-ish scent to it.

Eviltrap

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any recommendation for a mild shampoo?

I'm currently using Alpecin, and after showering, my hair will itch and there will be pimple-like itchy lesions on my scalp. Unfortunately, been happening for a year or 2 liao. Previously thought it might be me, but suspect it might be the shampoo after all.

Balding scalp, so won't need those for luscious hair. :cry:

qhong61

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any recommendation for a mild shampoo?

I'm currently using Alpecin, and after showering, my hair will itch and there will be pimple-like itchy lesions on my scalp. Unfortunately, been happening for a year or 2 liao. Previously thought it might be me, but suspect it might be the shampoo after all.

Balding scalp, so won't need those for luscious hair. :cry:
See dermatologist

nichsong

Reaction score
You can check out I Hair Sea Salt Spray (formerly OS Fashion) from The Pretty Jerk.
Yep I second this! You can trust The Pretty Jerk aka leejhong's stuff. Have used them for years, always reliable and perform well.

Another alternative you can look at is Blind Barber's Sea Salt Spray. More expensive, but I personally find it to be less drying on the hair. That or Sachajuan Ocean Mist.

Pueh Kee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Cant find redken 12 rough paste anymore.
Anyone has better recommendation? Prefer something similar

kenapa siol

Master Member
Reaction score
Finished my Morris motley styling balm. Due to the crazy inflation, MM cost >50bucks per tub now. So i tried hanz de fuko claymation instead. Find it too "oily" for me. So can i check which is a better substitute for MM ah?

freedom-strike

Reaction score
Hi, just like to ask, is it ok to go for a haircut first, treatment later? Or rather go for a treatment & haircut together?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.