The Travel Insurance Promotion Thread

oceanicmanta

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Prior to pandemic, for over 20 years, i always buy from Income. Just thought they were reasonably priced and just habitually buy from them. Now after 3 years of not travelin, is there any current favourites when it comes to travel insurance?

pre Covid my shortlist includes :

- Sompo (used them most times, used for Japan, diving trips in SEA etc) ... used to have 40/50% but think nowadays, hard to come by
- FWD (used recently, can be cheap, good for short trips eg Msia)
- AXA
- MSIG
- AVIVA (especially if can stack with Mindef GTL promo)

I have not compared Covid coverage for the above, as so far, not travelled much that I think would require that

I have not used Income in the past as I felt they cost more, albeit coverage is comprehensive.

Last edited:

martin

Reaction score

- Sompo (used them most times, used for Japan, diving trips in SEA etc) ... used to have 40/50% but think nowadays, hard to come by
- AXA
- MSIG

I have not compared Covid coverage for the above, as so far, not travelled much that I think would require that

I have not used Income in the past as I felt they cost more, albeit coverage is comprehensive.
Thanks. I bought most of my other insurance also from Income because going back long way, they were supposed to be cheaper than commercial insurance companies as they were a cooperative. Things gradually change of course but for travel insurance i continued buying from them purely more a habitual repeat practices as travel insurance is short term and small amount. Plus being a repeat customer all my records are there so each time buying is very fast and easyto fill out the forms. Claimed some small amounts before and quite straightforward.
But i reckon it’s time to see if there are better ones out there now. Any claim experience with sompo or fwd?

oceanicmanta

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sompo process is alright .. albeit my claims were straight forward & clear cut eg) medical when back in SG

what I also like about Sompo is their wordings are perhaps easiest to understand

(unlike MSIG which I find is terrible eg refer to here n there for exclusions etc )

have not claimed FWD before

not self promoting ... but u can search for my past comments in this thread, think I gave some feedback on some of these insurers

Last edited:

martin

Reaction score
Sompo process is alright .. albeit my claims were straight forward & clear cut eg) medical when back in SG

what I also like about Sompo is their wordings are perhaps easiest to understand

(unlike MSIG which I find is terrible eg refer to here n there for exclusions etc )

have not claimed FWD before

not self promoting ... but u can search for my past comments in this thread, think I gave some feedback on some of these insurers
Thanks for sharing.

Uacesg

Reaction score
Hi members, I’m researching on insurance companies that provide good experience on travel claims and has comprehensive coverage including covid. Anyone with claim experience with fwd, aviva, ge?

Previously I used Ntuc (expensive, comprehensive, claim paperwork’s quite a lot but claim went through quite smoothly).

Andrew833

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

- AXA
- MSIG

Hi oceanicmanta
I just book ticket to CNX on Jan 2023. I wonder should I buy the insurance now or near the travel date, in case if there is any cancellation on my side. Cancellation can be trip postpone or covid case get worst etc...
Thanks in advance.

oceanicmanta

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi oceanicmanta
I just book ticket to CNX on Jan 2023. I wonder should I buy the insurance now or near the travel date, in case if there is any cancellation on my side. Cancellation can be trip postpone or covid case get worst etc...
Thanks in advance.

shld get Insurance as soon as the major cost items have been committed to get protection early on (unless the ticket is fully refundable without conditions)

if Trip Cancellation is a concern, do read that section carefully as the Wordings across insurers are not the same (eg .. some do not cover Cancellation if u buy the insurance too late)

Iirc, Aviva Trip Cancellation clause is quite restrictive/unique ... something like the event has to happen, or must buy within a certain period

Andrew833

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
shld get Insurance as soon as the major cost items have been committed to get protection early on (unless the ticket is fully refundable without conditions)

if Trip Cancellation is a concern, do read that section carefully as the Wordings across insurers are not the same (eg .. some do not cover Cancellation if u buy the insurance too late)

Iirc, Aviva Trip Cancellation clause is quite restrictive/unique ... something like the event has to happen, or must buy within a certain period
Thanks bro, will check out which insurance company to buy.

oceanicmanta

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Having bought my air tickets, i did a quick search and comparison.

My main criteria was Covid coverage, Medical and Rental Vehicle excess ... shortlised the following

1) AVIVA SingLife
2) NTUC (40% off)
3) Direct Asia (40% off)
4) FWD (50% off)

Decided to go with AVIVA SingLife (currently 18% + 30% Mindef GTL off) ... ASL has the highest Covid coverage of these insurers by far ! For 16 days cover in Asia, $68 (middle option)

I was surprised that generally Covid coverage is quite low for most insurers
eg) Covid Emergency Evac ranges from only SGD 100k to 150k (whereas normal Med Evac is usually "Unlimited")
eg) Covid Trip Cancellation ranges from $500 to 1500 (whereas normal is 5k)

Sompo and MSIG also have higher Covid coverage but Premiums are almost doubled.

Last edited:

Uacesg

Reaction score
Last edited:

oceanicmanta

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
AVIVA SingLife price with covid coverage looks good but google reviews (recent ones, past 6 months) are terrible. What happen to AVIVA after SingLife bought over ... Anyone has good thing to say about SingLife travel claim?

Read their policy: https://singlife.com/content/dam/pu...e/policy-documents/travel-policy-document.pdf

Wording sounds harsh and difficult to follow through. Avoiding it..

which parts sounded harsh & difficult to follow ?

any other insurer's wordings not harsh n easy to follow that you have come across ?

the new thing I learnt from reading the Google reviews is that the Covid Cover does not provide for Local Covid treatment .. which is probably the case across all insurers

Uacesg

Reaction score
which parts sounded harsh & difficult to follow ?

any other insurer's wordings not harsh n easy to follow that you have come across ?

the new thing I learnt from reading the Google reviews is that the Covid Cover does not provide for Local Covid treatment .. which is probably the case across all insurers
Just one example, check out section 12 on trip cancellation:

“where You have paid or legally have to pay for Your Trip and which You cannot get back; if, after the date of buying Your policy or booking
a Trip (whichever is later), You unavoidably have to cancel Your Trip due to:
any of Insured Event numbers 1 to 8 arising within 30 days prior to You departing on Your Trip; or
Insured Event number 9 arising prior to You departing on Your Trip."

Not sure what it is talking about event numbers, formatting is bad (many bold words) which make readability poor, tone is harsh, sentence structure is problematic.

Ntuc and Fwd do a much better job.

Maybe for some, doesn’t matter about online reviews or policy wording. To each his own.

Andrew833

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just one example, check out section 12 on trip cancellation:

“where You have paid or legally have to pay for Your Trip and which You cannot get back; if, after the date of buying Your policy or booking
a Trip (whichever is later), You unavoidably have to cancel Your Trip due to:
any of Insured Event numbers 1 to 8 arising within 30 days prior to You departing on Your Trip; or
Insured Event number 9 arising prior to You departing on Your Trip."

Not sure what it is talking about event numbers, formatting is bad (many bold words) which make readability poor, tone is harsh, sentence structure is problematic.

Ntuc and Fwd do a much better job.

Maybe for some, doesn’t matter about online reviews or policy wording. To each his own.
I think I read this before, Event number 1-9 is written, maybe in the front section.
This telling us to buy insurance at least 30 days before your trip. (oceanicmanta mention this before)

@oceanicmanta
"the new thing I learnt from reading the Google reviews is that the Covid Cover does not provide for Local Covid treatment .. which is probably the case across all insurers"
Yes, I read it too. So basically if kena before trip, can only claim for trip post pone or cancellation.

I find that Sompo coverage better.
Did you notice the flight delay pay very little for all insurance company.

oceanicmanta

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think I read this before, Event number 1-9 is written, maybe in the front section.
This telling us to buy insurance at least 30 days before your trip. (oceanicmanta mention this before)

@oceanicmanta
"the new thing I learnt from reading the Google reviews is that the Covid Cover does not provide for Local Covid treatment .. which is probably the case across all insurers"
Yes, I read it too. So basically if kena before trip, can only claim for trip post pone or cancellation.

I find that Sompo coverage better.
Did you notice the flight delay pay very little for all insurance company.

yep, for Covid cover, most important aspects I feel are Trip Cancellation, Overseas Treatment & Med Evac ...

if local Covid treatment needed post trip, I am sure most in SG can afford, and can tap on own Hospitalisation plan if needed

as for Travel Delay, I think "difficult" to claim ... need delay of at least 6 hrs

one unique benefit of Aviva is "Trip Cancellation for Any Reason" .. albeit it provides 50% normal Cancellation cover, no other insurer provides this ... can claim or not is another matter

Andrew833

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
yep, for Covid cover, most important aspects I feel are Trip Cancellation, Overseas Treatment & Med Evac ...

if local Covid treatment needed post trip, I am sure most in SG can afford, and can tap on own Hospitalisation plan if needed

as for Travel Delay, I think "difficult" to claim ... need delay of at least 6 hrs

one unique benefit of Aviva is "Trip Cancellation for Any Reason" .. albeit it provides 50% normal Cancellation cover, no other insurer provides this ... can claim or not is another matter
Yes, after claim can't get money back also useless.
Can I have your opinion on Sompo Travel (COVID-19) Superior, thanks.

oceanicmanta

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes, after claim can't get money back also useless.
Can I have your opinion on Sompo Travel (COVID-19) Superior, thanks.

I just read thru Sompo Travel (COVID-19) policy wordings ... nothing alarming, sounded quite standard.

Do note that Sompo has a $100 excess for all Covid -related claims though

and, though not explicitly stated (just like AVIVA), it seems that Covid treatment in SG, post travel, is also NOT covered

separately, just saw that AVIVA has "Rainfall Protection" .. if heavy rain n 50% trip affected, can claim $100/150 :p

Andrew833

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I just read thru Sompo Travel (COVID-19) policy wordings ... nothing alarming, sounded quite standard.

Do note that Sompo has a $100 excess for all Covid -related claims though

and, though not explicitly stated (just like AVIVA), it seems that Covid treatment in SG, post travel, is also NOT covered

separately, just saw that AVIVA has "Rainfall Protection" .. if heavy rain n 50% trip affected, can claim $100/150 :p
Thanks bro, I think will get this.
Very funny for "Rainfall Protection" :ROFLMAO: I go dry season, so useless for me :p

Last edited:

bladez87

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
do you guys usually buy vehicle excess insurance?
I am going to Brisbane and East Coast Car Rental has this Loss Damage Waiver.
was thinking is it worth paying $27/day for this insurance anot.
like what are the chances of getting into an accident or having the vehicle stolen?

qhong61

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
do you guys usually buy vehicle excess insurance?
I am going to Brisbane and East Coast Car Rental has this Loss Damage Waiver.
was thinking is it worth paying $27/day for this insurance anot.
like what are the chances of getting into an accident or having the vehicle stolen?
Peace of mind.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.