The Unofficial HWZ Surviving DVD Media Durability Scan Thread

metamorph8

Reaction score
06082006azdhtrmcc0038xs.png

06082006azdh2trmcc0035cy.png

Oh well, my LG4163B can't seem to do scandisc since i used MCSE, so i'm sorry, but the transfer rate curves are all you'll be getting here.. Should be enough to tell you that the media's still in pretty good condition though. Imagine, i burned these more than a year ago, 22nd March 2005.

Guess which MCC003?

MacClipper

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Good idea to keep well clear of the edges and max capacity of these MCC dyes, almost all my MCC DVD media show edge degradation irrespective of the model (most MIS batches even).

Anyway, as a related side topic, just found out one of my Ricoh (MIT) CDR placed besides a sunlit window had totally failed and cannot be recognised at all. Rather disappointing since this was a good disc when newly burned and Ricoh was one of my fave brand media.

Oh well.

Soon__

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
cav.jpeg

*Face totally turned green*

My Test on Maxell G05
Scan date: 21 May 2006
44b78c28.png

Scan Date: Today, 08 June 2006
9522904e.png

Notice the total number of PI Errors difference in just 2 weeks.
I store these dvds in a 10pcs cakebox, 9 similar dvds with a sponge rim on top. Place them in the cupboard away from sun, directly beside a cheapo dehumidifier and yet this is the kind of "master quality" maxell is givin'. Avoid.

Last edited:

Soon__

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
metamorph8 said:
Haha so you didn't lose any data i hope?
All the contents are in my Hard drive now, but haven't burn to TYs yet.

super_macgyver

Reaction score
MacClipper said:
Good idea to keep well clear of the edges and max capacity of these MCC dyes, almost all my MCC DVD media show edge degradation irrespective of the model (most MIS batches even).

Anyway, as a related side topic, just found out one of my Ricoh (MIT) CDR placed besides a sunlit window had totally failed and cannot be recognised at all. Rather disappointing since this was a good disc when newly burned and Ricoh was one of my fave brand media.

Oh well.
The media id code of ur ricoh cdr is Ricoh too? or Ritek?

MacClipper

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Not so good news with a piece of 10 month old Imation 8x DVD-R (CMC MAG AE1) with evidence of edge degradation too, had trouble playing the documentary with skipping towards the end so popped it in for a scan and...

Aug 2005 when freshly burned,

Today's scan,

Managed to burn a new copy off it but it looks like I have to start scanning the other Imation discs too.

PS: super_macgyver, the dead CDR is a orginal Ricoh Gold 40x media (Made in Taiwan).

karangguni

Master Member
Reaction score
*Sigh* Time to dig mine out and scan them as well. Fortunately, I don't have that many. I have only 9 discs I burned last year. Still working my way through another cake box of 25. Good thing I didn't buy anymore.

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm rescanning the first batch of 10 M-Star discs, scanned a few and got good results but didn't save the scan except for one that is in this thread :D :
http://forums.hardwarezone.com/showthread.php?t=1330272

BTW, nice scan Mac. So low PIE yet PIF so high.

OT: What DW1620 Pro firmware to go for burning TY +R 8x? :)

Last edited:

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Scanning complete

Why bother with discs that are less than a year old? Those that do not even survive this duration are trash. :D

The first batch of discs I have that is burnt using a computer DVDRW drive; the second batch of discs burnt in my house: M-Star 2x bought during the first M-Star promotion burnt with an Iomega 4x Super Drive (rebadged 4040B) bought from Cybermind during that PC Show.

t26bd.jpg

p32cw.jpg

(somehow, the disc didn't close properly)

k13op.jpg

(The PIF lump at the end coincides with the position of a scratch that came with the disc)

Sorry about the size on disc.

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can still remember, at that time the promo M-Star was rumoured to be Verbatim rejects. I guess the graphs say something.
If it wasn't for the lump... the figures would have been very nice, like:
k40qd.jpg

I'm pissed enough to do a rescan of a select area of the third disc, and:
k51bv.jpg

Bad QC? Yes. Bad quality disc? Certainly not

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Next up: Another M-Star disc but recordered using Panasonic DVD Recorder
benqdvddddw1620b7v925june20061.jpg

The increase of PIF starts too early to be called peripheral degradation. The lowest PIF values are a few times higher also. The lump is still there.

Two possible reasons: Different storage conditions - normal jewel case vs DVD case + dehumidifier (*starts unwrapping a box*), and the more plausible reason that the disc is recorded too slowly - 1/2 or 1/4x CLV on 2x media, towards the end the dye probably couldn't handle such a low speed anymore. I'll have to take low burn speed capability into consideration when buying discs for DVD recorders from now on. TY 8x isn't one of the choices (it still works, but the scan doesn't look like TY anymore).

MacClipper

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
wenze, wrt DW1620 give the latest B7W9 fw a try, seems to work well for me. Your M-star discs seem good to go, any special care storing them?

Anyway, seems Imation CMC MAG AE1 does suffer from edge degradation in a few of my discs (stored stacked in same cakebox). Here's another set of comparative scans for another Imation and a Philips disc (same dye but older 2004 stock which seems to last better).

Imation - can see the edge is beginning to degrade,

Last edited:

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
MacClipper said:
wenze, wrt DW1620 give the latest B7W9 fw a try, seems to work well for me. Your M-star discs seem good to go, any special care storing them?

I couldn't get below 5 average PIE reliably with B7W9 that's why... :o

Storage condition for burns using 4040B is DVD case plus 35-55% humidity at first, then 65%, now 75% for a few months already. Cupboard, well-hidden from sunlight.
Storage condition for burns using Panasonic DVD Recorder is slim jewel case, 65-75% humidity, drawer.

Even though 65-75% is quite high, it doesn't seem to affect disc much.

Last edited:

rainboiboi

Reaction score
Is my disc going to die?

After seeing so many of you scanning your disc, I gave my first try on mine too.

The result wasnt promising. By the way, Im a noob in this.

Its a Sony DVD+RW. Please enlighten my if my disc is going to die soon. =/

dunpokeme

Reaction score
The data is dying but the disc may not, for RWs may be reformatted and used again. Or, as I like to say it, they can reformat themselves.

Next up: Maxell 4x -R with HGX Stamper Technology
yami0cm.jpg

star9yj.jpg

PIF values are good, but PIE spikes are disturbing. Maxell-based degradation perhaps? (If Ricoh on Maxell discs can suk too...)

But Transfer rate is smooth at the start where the spikes are...:
benqdvddddw1620b7v926june20061.png

Last edited:

dunpokeme

Reaction score
And finally, this wraps up all the scans I'm going to do this time:

What happens when your burner don't really like the media:
Fujifilm 8x -R (a good one)
ga3gh.jpg

Bad one (need me to tell you this?):
kaleido9cw.jpg

The 4040B gives really bad burns on TYG02 @ 2x, very low and bad transfer rate scans right after burning. No need to talk about 8x +R, all 8 discs failed. (disc QC might be a problem, but I sent two discs to some nice guy forgot who to try, and his burns were okay. My drive was also a bit dying, but it still managed to burn some TDK Ricohs. So media compatability was the issue)

No point scanning from here onwards, since all the TY 8x +R have failed, and the next batch of TDK Ricohs are burnt using a near-dead burner. Anything newer is too new to be scanned.

MacClipper

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
June 2005, Smartbuy AAA Silver (Prodisc R03) 8x@16x, just over a year old today using the infamous SLWS beta firmware.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.