These 4 days of cny, are taxi drivers happily choosing passenger? Requesting for metered ride for 30 mins but still no driver

Forever84

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It matters. Let me explain why. Taxi and PHV serve vastly different markets. Taxi prices is regulated. The reason to allow PHV in Singapore is to provide an auxilliary support to our street hail industry because in the words of PM which he said in 2015, "No amount of taxi is enough to cater to the needs of peak hours". Ride hail's prices is not regulated. They are meant to serve as an option during dire periods. They are not meant to replace the traditional street hail market but to SUPPORT. When taxi are allowed to take ride hail's jobs, they will when prices are higher than street hail and there will be fewer taxi during peak hours which is counter productive to the reason why ride hail exists in the first place. It literally causes the street hail market to collapse during peak hours. And everyone goes ride hail which push up the demand and which pushes up the prices. And then more taxi abandon street hail and do ride hail and then TS wonders why no taxi wants to do street hail or metered trip.

Should just do away with street hail

Calling via app is so much more superior and efficient for all parties

Reaction score
I already said it doesn't matter, cos taxi platform also has its own fixed fare booking, with surged and non-surged pricing in accordance with demand. U never take CDG cabs all this while and didn't notice the ComfortRIDE fixed fare option?

Hence even if u ban taxi drivers from taking phv booking jobs there will still not be many taxis taking street jobs cos their booking system will still have a lot of demand.
If fixed fare booking is in demand then taxi drivers will have no time for alternative apps. Lol

thretiredDad

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
This is what I will call "income opportunity" from drivers perspective.

Why would anyone pick a lower paying job? If the difference is really that much, people will wait for the right job to come in.

It's not just on CNY, it's happening whenever the fixed fare vs street hail prices have too much gap.
Then don’t complain in future
that nobody taking taxi
income are suffering
and start asking for grant

when there are these taxi driver (who drive on cny)
are choosing rides with surge pricing

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
I hope the authorities n government mandate a rule:

1. No midnight charge
2. No book fees.
3. All standard fees of $3 on board.

Only then all hiding pride of spore road tds will come out relatently.

Cos many just pick n choose.
Saw many on calls or busy driving around cbd areas.
Like that there will be even less taxi drivers who drive the night shift liao.

In fact now, even with the midnight charge, the low demand fixed rates on phv platforms is already depressing demand for taxi services after midnight liao, so taxi drivers generally no longer find it worthwhile to drive the night shift because of the lower phv rates compared to metered fare.

Mclairs83

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
if u have alot of place to visit, its more ideal to rent a car than to book a cab.. what's more it's rainy season + no more restrictions in visiting.. everybody went ALL out for visiting.

and what's more, our PHV/taxi drivers are largely from chinese, it's very normal that these folks also go out for visiting. tat led the population of drivers dwindling down hence driving the pricing up for the fare.

conclusion:

1) get a car
2) get a rental car early.

thretiredDad

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
if u have alot of place to visit, its more ideal to rent a car than to book a cab.. what's more it's rainy season + no more restrictions in visiting.. everybody went ALL out for visiting.

and what's more, our PHV/taxi drivers are largely from chinese, it's very normal that these folks also go out for visiting. tat led the population of drivers dwindling down hence driving the pricing up for the fare.

conclusion:

1) get a car
2) get a rental car early.
3) take bus, train or walk

Sexysweet

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Nowadays i cycle to drink beer. 2 hours plus 2 way trip to save taxi fare. Lol

For many months never take taxi liao.

thretiredDad

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It doesn't matter how high it surge, as long as no people press the book button, you want surge to $1000 also no use.

Besides that, how many $80 can you get in a day? The point is, even if surge is crazy, still have to put in the hours to get to $1.2k.
fixed rate are now back to normal
Song bo

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
meter is for kerbside hail and taxi stand trips...
And taxi bookings with no specified destinations. They go by meter too, cos the fixed fare cannot be calculated without knowing where the passenger wants to go before boarding.

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
The funny part I feel
regulation don’t allow taxi driver to “tout” at taxi stand or shopping malls

but now the company uses their booking system
to “tout” for the drivers using surging pricing
Your wording doesn't seem right.

The taxi companies have both the street hail licence and the ride hail licence. The ride hail licence allows them to provide the fixed fare option on their taxi terminals and apps. This is not touting.

Nevereatrice

Honorary Member
Reaction score
As usual edmw hope govt will step in give them a handicap in life for luxuries :s13: after that kpkb govt. Taxi/car is a luxury in sg. Since when taxi is affordable? It's not your entitlement. No money take bus la

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
No one cares about your fare booking. We are comparing about ride hail vs street hail market.
Of course it matters, cos taxi companies have licences for both the ride hail and street hail.

Hence even if u ban taxi drivers from taking phv platform jobs, they still can take their own taxi companies ride hail fixed fare bookings.

thretiredDad

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Your wording doesn't seem right.

The taxi companies have both the street hail licence and the ride hail licence. The ride hail licence allows them to provide the fixed fare option on their taxi terminals and apps. This is not touting.
does the fixed fare option
fluctuate based on demand?
Or is really fixed everyday?

can a taxi driver go to a taxi stand
tell any passenger that got into his taxi
that he does not want to use the meter
and take out his zig app
put A to B
and show him the “fixed rate” quoted by the zig app
and quote him that price?

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Should just do away with street hail

Calling via app is so much more superior and efficient for all parties
Cannot lah. Cos the boomers and the bo tak cheh ones still need to street hail. But I really empatise with them cos nowadays really seldom got taxi available for street hailing.

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
does the fixed fare option
fluctuate based on demand?
Or is really fixed everyday?

can a taxi driver go to a taxi stand
tell any passenger that got into his taxi
that he does not want to use the meter
and take out his zig app
put A to B
and show him the “fixed rate” quoted by the zig app
and quote him that price?
It doesn't work like this. Just to give example, the CDG's ComfortRIDE fixed fare option is like the phv platform's fixed fare option, quoted up front. They are all for bookings only, and not for street hail.

All street hail must use meter, otherwise will be penalised as touting.

Hyperephania

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
fixed rate are now back to normal
Song bo
Of cos song, I can get cheap rides :s13: (per my previous post, I always go for the cheapest option)

Just because I'm here against you doesn't mean I'm advocating to sky high prices (I also feel prices are ridiculous sometimes).

What I've been posting about in this thread is your flawed arguments and your sense of entitlements.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.