Thomson Medical vs KK vs Mt Alvernia vs Gleneagles.. go where give birth best?

LoneTraveller

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My wife 33 weeks now, the baby 1.5kg only.

Private doctor said better to transfer to NUH or KKH. Which one better?

1. SGH
2. Look for Prof Tan Hak Koon. The head of the O&G department.
3. Not many people know that you can deliver babies at SGH and thus the queue to see your gynae is shorter.
4. KKH is under the oversight of SGH which is a main hospital.
5. As Prof Tan told my wife and myself,if the baby is healthy,you can give birth in any hospital as it's the same.However, if you expect complications, it's better to do it in SGH as the operation theatre is just next door and there is no need for the baby to be transferred to KKH or SGH from other hospitals.
6. My 2 kids were delivered by him especially the first one whose heart beat was only half during the early ultrasounds but she is a big healthy bubbly girl now.

chompchomp

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thought i will clear up the misconception. Size of the baby DOES NOT depend on the type of birth example natural. Yes you can push a 4kg baby out naturally. Natural birth risk is much much lower than C-sec risk.
(unless u saying 5kg and above kind. oh please)

Though some ladies pelvis may be small but its usually very low percentage.

My 4th was born out at 3.87kg naturally without painkiller/drugs or cutting. I did have a bit of tear . My first was 3.75kg born at 37wks naturally without painkiller too except for laughing gas which was forced on me as i struggled to push away. Gynae did comment he didnt understand why baby was so big when husband and i were small sized. Esp even when i was losing weight, my babies were on the bigger side.

I didnt have good experience with TMC but thats 8-6yrs back thing, they kept forcing formula and extremely not pro natural birth. The nurses also were rude and forceful.(maybe cause i was a teenage mum)

On the other hand KKH midwives were marvelous. I had a natural birth there without keep psycho me to take pain killer or giving me face colour etc. They were very professional, kind and sweet

Last edited:

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Of cos go Thomson medical lah. I drink Starbucks, eat din tai fung, wear off-white, drive bmw. My son or daughter must proudly claim born same place as Peter Lim's grandson!! Like that more satki!! Feels more branded!!

Actually Pitter Lim is die die need daughter to give birth at TMC.....if not is a bit self-pawn in terms of biz decision.

bullfrog

Banned
Reaction score
1. SGH
2. Look for Prof Tan Hak Koon. The head of the O&G department.
3. Not many people know that you can deliver babies at SGH and thus the queue to see your gynae is shorter.
4. KKH is under the oversight of SGH which is a main hospital.
5. As Prof Tan told my wife and myself,if the baby is healthy,you can give birth in any hospital as it's the same.However, if you expect complications, it's better to do it in SGH as the operation theatre is just next door and there is no need for the baby to be transferred to KKH or SGH from other hospitals.
6. My 2 kids were delivered by him especially the first one whose heart beat was only half during the early ultrasounds but she is a big healthy bubbly girl now.

This is useful information. Thank you.

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thought i will clear up the misconception. Size of the baby DOES NOT depend on the type of birth example natural. Yes you can push a 4kg baby out naturally. Natural birth risk is much much lower than C-sec risk.

Though some ladies pelvis may be small but its usually very low percentage.

My 4th was born out at 3.87kg naturally without painkiller/drugs or cutting. I did have a bit of tear . My first was 3.75kg born at 37wks naturally without painkiller too except for laughing gas which was forced on me as i struggled to push away. Gynae did comment he didnt understand why baby was so big when husband and i were small sized. Esp even when i was losing weight, my babies were on the bigger side.

Of coz i am not saying that elective LSCS is > natural.....

In theory that's supposed to be the case (I have read about it too), but to cut a long story short that's not really in my 2nd one case, there are many other nitty gritty things to take note of in a complicated-based pregnancy/delivery (even though in my case, all ended well, but everything was based on complicated procedures and "thinking").

My baby has other risks upon delivery too. It wouldn't help if we'd just introduce more risks should the natural birth go into complications and add onto it.......makes no sense....when the doc already knows that it'd be big.

The risk of elective LSCS is not very high if handled properly and with experience, well i mean it could be that the spec also don't wanna self-pawn? LOL.
The Head of ob/gyn already said "baby confirm big, when come out you'll see". He was actually more concerned about my wife wanting to go natural.....

Experience plays a large part. I mean...heck, that's the same with GPs as well, dentists....many other areas.

If not, we would not have changed from Mount E to SGH already. Backside not so itchy....

Last edited:

Laneige

Honorary Member
Reaction score
My wife 33 weeks now, the baby 1.5kg only.

Private doctor said better to transfer to NUH or KKH. Which one better?

If u want to go kkh don't delay
Tiagong if their beds full etc they will give priority to their own patients which is fair right
So u Don't take own sweet time if yr gynae ask u find another one

fish&chips

Reaction score
KKH bad experience.....
My kids fm SGH.
My kid got medical condition but dunno why didnt pick up until 2 months after birth...
Find neonatal bb room under-staff...bb can be crying but nurses boh hill...
They also very fast push bb to u thou u may want to rest a bit longer...

bullfrog

Banned
Reaction score
I really don't get why ppl must deliver at private hospitals when they are not equipped to handle complications.
Assuming they were all priced the same, KK or SGH would be the first choice. However because its cheaper, people look elsewhere..
:s22:

Laneige

Honorary Member
Reaction score
thats why the doc already pre warn us...

if want epidural before start feel pain must request liao... dont wait until pain then request... cause doc need time to go kkh draw the epidural

but my wife stubborn... she dont want use epidural initially cause scare affect baby... but behind the pain too much she no choice request...

then its a sat... lagi worst... cause draw must be the anesthetics doctor then can do the epidural ma... then the doctor not at kkh at that point of time...

so is doctor go to kkh draw liao then come to tmc.... wa lao eh smelly smelly need 1 hour plus lo

when the anesthetics doctor come in to the labour ward (she wearing like those very home type of yoga clothing LOL)

my wife screaming like siao already

When was this

Which yr

georgemcics

Banned
Reaction score
I really don't get why ppl must deliver at private hospitals when they are not equipped to handle complications.
Assuming they were all priced the same, KK or SGH would be the first choice. However because its cheaper, people look elsewhere..

those mother group chat hor that our wife join... inside alot bad mouth kkh de...

then many see liao scare then go private instead ha ha

38 Oxley Road via PCWX

Last edited:

WussRedXLi

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Not say not equipped. Complications have a very broad range too. My wife's side is indon and quite a few of their towns and Medan/Batam folks come here to deliver (others not so well off go to Malacca).

Mount E Orchard's neonatal ICU is still pretty good. It doesn't make sense for them to do govt restructured hospitals anyway. Lets put it this way, unless for extreme cases, babies won't die in those few private hospitals that are mentioned here.

I can tell you, doctor ethics/$$$ play a crucial role too. Some, if not a fair bit of them, might not want to get their hands "dirty" if you know what i mean. Neonatal cases are especially "messy", coz the involvement of babies and naturally people are more gan-cheong. This was shared with me from 2 nurses in mount E not related to Ob/Gyn.

Of course there are very good private docs too who act in the best way and have best interest for their patients, depends on your luck. But do you have the money to pay for the best/fastest treatments out there? When maternity insurance was mentioned by me in this thread, the $$$ questioning factor already come out. So how?

And some of the older specs (though good) might not be able to handle surgery as well. So the reaally old birds might not might not be better.....

Sometimes, these things a bit difficult to say also.
Ultimately, why risk your rice bowl with a lawsuit or 2? Esp when your clients are $$$ limited hence limiting the options that the doc is able to provide and execute.

GOvt restructured hosptials difference, ah gong brand. Sue sue lor....

ApPle5

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Mt A! I like the place a lot. Midwives were nice and the anaesthetist was very good. Though I'm not sure if the anaesthetist are like the gynaes can go to any hospital

And my SIL had a bad experience with the epidural at TMC. Affected her nerves so she limps now.

Sent from Xiaomi MI 5S using GAGT

Last edited:

bullfrog

Banned
Reaction score
Not say not equipped. Complications have a very broad range too. My wife's side is indon and quite a few of their towns and Medan/Batam folks come here to deliver (others not so well off go to Malacca).

Mount E Orchard's neonatal ICU is still pretty good. It doesn't make sense for them to do govt restructured hospitals anyway. Lets put it this way, unless for extreme cases, babies won't die in those few private hospitals that are mentioned here.

I can tell you, doctor ethics/$$$ play a crucial role too. Some, if not a fair bit of them, might not want to get their hands "dirty" if you know what i mean.
Of course there are very good docs too who act in the best way and have best interest for their patients, depends on your luck.

And some of the older specs (though good) might not be able to handle surgery as well. So the reaally old birds might not might not be better.....

Sometimes, these things a bit difficult to say also.

Hmm.. Foreigners is understandable for them to go private as they don't enjoy any subsidies. But as for Sinkies leh?
If i get the meaning 'wash hands', i would take it that its the private hospitals that don't want to deal with complications so refer the mom and child to KKH or SGH, where they no choice but to handle.
This also saves the private hospital's reputation from getting tarnished should something go wrong. It's no wonder KKH got bad rep. :eek:

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.