Those of you who uses Nespresso machine, where do you get your coffee capsules?

dan1982

Reaction score
I buy l'or online. See which platform got better deals. It is aluminium not plastic caps, so safer for health. I will not mind trying other compatibles if they come in aluminium and not plastic caps. Any suggestions?

Then I usually buy a lot for free gifts, cheaper deals during sales events. I ever bought 1 for 1 mixed box sets with short expiry dates in Qoo10 and also had free atas Bodum tumbler from lazada. That time Starbucks caps only gave normal low SES Starbucks cup. I bought double walled Starbucks cup off lazada instead separately. Has got bodum printed on bottom and keeps coffee quite warm.

End of the day, I stocked up too much of l'or and not going for nespresso caps for now.

ahboy82

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
That time gt a discussion on coffee machine rite

Paging @testerjp, that time you recommended wat machine again??

VEF888

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
just started and trying Nespresso and Starbucks, Nespresso seems to be richer in taste with more caffeine. learning to differentiate.

the rest can’t make it, other 3rd party capsules sometimes get stuck in the machine.

Kaylin

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Nespresso patent is over but do you know they spent hundreds of millions or even over a billion to develop? That's why till date no other manufacturers come close in the same aluminium capsule.

The facility to roast, grind, fill and seal is non o2 environment to ensure the best possible preservation.

Despite that, the coffee still sux. So what to expect from compatibles? :o
no other manufacturers come close means what? i tot those aluminium capsules all look pretty similar.

BusteR

Reaction score
I tried starbucks then went jewel. I think jewel better. The coffee intensity is can feel where starbuck 7 n 10 no diff. Jewel also stronger coffee gao. I tend to pour bit more milk. End of day which ever cheaper i buy.

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
no other manufacturers come close means what? i tot those aluminium capsules all look pretty similar.
Different one.

Coffee is not a simple ingredient, I believe there's no other ingredient that has as complex and has that many aromatic profiles. It's many times of wine and chocolate iirc. One of the things coffee need to avoid most is oxidation because it kills the flavour, or may even turn them into astringents ( Think siap siap).

Coffee is best in its original bean form because the outer shell can protect the inside a little and reduce the rate of oxidation. Even in coffee bean form, the coffee can only last a few weeks before it oxidize too badly. Also, you don't use the coffee immediately after roast, you need to let it rest for a few days to degas first, the flavours will somehow develop to be fuller.

Once in powdered form, the bean is ripped into thousands of pieces. It will oxidise gao gao inside out, no where to hide. It only take a few minutes for powder to oxidise to the same extend as beans oxidise for months. That's why the saying that freshly ground coffee taste really different is 1000% true.
Nespresso spend so much money in R&D to build their own equipment to perfect the production. Sealing is also not so simple, it's using heat to seal and aluminium is easy to conduct heat. If the heat transfer to the powder, will also deteriorate the flavour. Ordinary canned food, normally must heat the sealed packages to kill the bacteria or whatever itself to preserve longer, u can't do it for coffee. The environment must be very clean.

For Nespresso, their Swiss factory is very high tech, it's like a sealed clean roob, you could actually visit and see from outside. They must do a lot of stuff in an o2 free environment and make very precise calculation to perfect the process. Some big companies try to replicate but very hard to match that type of commitment. Don't waste time with those small roasters who pack their own capsules by manual labour. They are totally not respecting coffee, don't know how they can call themselves gourmet/specialty. Don't even know their hand got wash or not while packing the powder. :(

Kaylin

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Different one.

Coffee is not a simple ingredient, I believe there's no other ingredient that has as complex and has that many aromatic profiles. It's many times of wine and chocolate iirc. One of the things coffee need to avoid most is oxidation because it kills the flavour, or may even turn them into astringents ( Think siap siap).

Coffee is best in its original bean form because the outer shell can protect the inside a little and reduce the rate of oxidation. Even in coffee bean form, the coffee can only last a few weeks before it oxidize too badly. Also, you don't use the coffee immediately after roast, you need to let it rest for a few days to degas first, the flavours will somehow develop to be fuller.

Once in powdered form, the bean is ripped into thousands of pieces. It will oxidise gao gao inside out, no where to hide. It only take a few minutes for powder to oxidise to the same extend as beans oxidise for months. That's why the saying that freshly ground coffee taste really different is 1000% true.
Nespresso spend so much money in R&D to build their own equipment to perfect the production. Sealing is also not so simple, it's using heat to seal and aluminium is easy to conduct heat. If the heat transfer to the powder, will also deteriorate the flavour. Ordinary canned food, normally must heat the sealed packages to kill the bacteria or whatever itself to preserve longer, u can't do it for coffee. The environment must be very clean.

For Nespresso, their Swiss factory is very high tech, it's like a sealed clean roob, you could actually visit and see from outside. They must do a lot of stuff in an o2 free environment and make very precise calculation to perfect the process. Some big companies try to replicate but very hard to match that type of commitment. Don't waste time with those small roasters who pack their own capsules by manual labour. They are totally not respecting coffee, don't know how they can call themselves gourmet/specialty. Don't even know their hand got wash or not while packing the powder. :(
idk leh im not impressed with nespresso at all, maybe ive always been focusing on their limited edition which are often hits & misses. instead i find starbucks better (more crema also) even tho the starbucks one is under nespresso.

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Buy coffee bean and grind then ownself pull a shot is cheaper.

I 1 kg beans -48 make about 50-65cups of coffee

My 1kg of good dark roast can pull max 140 espressos.
1 espresso is about 7g of coffee. Nespresso only use 5.5g.

My amdk staffs and neighbours all like to come into my pantry and take all my coffee
1KG $26, so about 20 cents a shot.

My staff all don't wfh, come back office yolo one. :(

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
idk leh im not impressed with nespresso at all, maybe ive always been focusing on their limited edition which are often hits & misses. instead i find starbucks better (more crema also) even tho the starbucks one is under nespresso.
Starbucks coffee is normally super dark roast.
They go super dark because their cups are huge and most consumers drink with a lot of milk. With so much milk, you need a super bitter coffee then can bring out its presence. If you drink their espresso neat, it's totally suicide.

Dark roast has more bitterness, less complexity, thicker body and more crema.
Some people just like that, especially elderlies

See what u like, no right or wrong one. :(

Nespresso is already at its best standard, but to me, it's still far from properly made espressos made from beans. For non fussy drinkers, then go with Nespresso lor.
But i scare of aluminium poisoning. :(

Kaylin

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
They go super dark because their cups are huge and most consumers drink with a lot of milk. With so much milk, you need a super bitter coffee then can bring out its presence. If you drink their espresso neat, it's totally suicide.

u mean the starbucks capsules all dark roast one?? maybe thats why i like coz i like those dark & bitter type, i dont like acidic or fruity notes. when i add heavy cream its like just nice.

Shutterbox

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Nespresso is already at its best standard, but to me, it's still far from properly made espressos made from beans. For non fussy drinkers, then go with Nespresso lor.
But i scare of aluminium poisoning. :(
Ever since I started medium/light roast Black/filtered coffee, I don't drink milk coffees anymore, unless the cafe only has dark roasted beans

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
u mean the starbucks capsules all dark roast one?? maybe thats why i like coz i like those dark & bitter type, i dont like acidic or fruity notes. when i add heavy cream its like just nice.
I never drink their nespresso capsules but their espresso in their outlets are all darkroast in singapore, and done in a way to make it even more bitter.

I believe their coffee are also with a lot of Robusta. Robusta produces nice crema and has a very thick body. Bad thing is 90% of the robusta out there taste very nasty. There are good ones that taste almost like Arabica and maintain the same trait with thick body though, those are the best of both world. I see Starbucks sell pure arabica beans before, i bought some to try, tbh they were like 1/10. :(

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.